• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Relief Funds for March 11 Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a very nice list thanks for the compilation. Remember all, no donation is too small every little bit helps.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Here is the link specifically to donate to japan on the red cross site (the one the list is for "where the need is greatest" which more me is a bit vague. https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052
Aeriven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
I just donated money to Red Cross and am looking into going to a Red Cross blood drive soon. Thank you, ANN, for compiling such a great list so we can help in whatever way we can.

My heart goes out to Japan and those who have loved ones in the country.
cche7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Please spread the word and share these links among friends and colleagues.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
I just made a donation to the Red Cross.

I've sent the link to a couple people.
katsie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the list. Some of the podcasts are getting together a fndraiser as well - http://helpjapan.onepiecepodcast.com/
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is matching donations made on their site.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Red Cross for sure!

I'm in the leadership in the Red Cross Club at my school, so i'm hoping to raise some money to send over through the Red Cross. Even if it's a dollar, anything will help!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
One more for the list. JEMA (Japan Evangelical Missionary Alliance) and CRASH (Christian Relief, Assistance, Support, and Hope) have set up a joint Paypal account and a Japanese Bank Account for direct donations. Everyone who works for these organizations is a volunteer or a missionary who's already supported by others, so pretty much 100% of donations will be going to the relief. Their website is http://www.jema.org/joomla15/
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
Before making a donation, you might want to read this: http://gizmodo.com/#!5781182/did-your-donation-really-reach-japan-probably-not

I'm living in Saitama and was in the faculty room at school ready to go to 6th period when the quake hit. It just started shaking a little, and then shaking a LOT. Man, I certainly didn't think I'd ever experience something like this.

We're still getting tons of aftershocks. A concert I was planning on attending tomorrow has been canceled, as has pretty much all events slated to take place this weekend.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Before making a donation, you might want to read this: http://gizmodo.com/#!5781182/did-your-donation-really-reach-japan-probably-not
Yeah, I was aware of this before I donated. I'd heard on CNN that, being a wealthy country, Japan would probably need the actual, physical machinery/manpower more than money. But here in Wisconsin, I can't provide any of that. All I can do is give money, even if it ends up being more symbolic than anything. And anyone who does benefit from Red Cross' efforts, even if it's not the Japanese people affected by this disaster (because their government hasn't requested help, at least not yet), is still equally deserving. Whoever ends up benefitting, I'm confident that it was money well spent. I really hope I don't come off as "scolding" you for pointing out this fact (because I didn't mean to, and it could very well be the truth) but I just mean to say that I hope that ANN's membership will donate anyway, if for no other reason than general goodwill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
I recently made a donation through GlobalGiving, as my local Red Cross organisation seems not to have a tsunami fund at present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Here's a link to the international shelterbox site if more people want to donate that way.
gothic gaara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
In the wake of this devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan and the Pacific on March 10th, we will be holding a 24 hour marathon podcast in attempt to raise money for victims of this event. The One Piece Podcast along with Konoha Corner and the SSAA Podcast will be conducting the event. If you would like to donate in advance of the event, feel free. We hope to have many guests on to help promote the need to help those in Japan and the Pacific region. Please visit: http://helpjapan.onepiecepodcast.com/ if you would like to donate or check for updates.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this. I've donated to the American Red Cross for Japan Earthquake and Tsunami victims.

I once tried donating directly to the country's Red Cross (for the Australian flood victims) and my credit card thought it was fraud since it was in a foreign currency.I had to end up getting a new card. I don't know if everyone's bank is going to be so cautious but just a warning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2