• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
to be expected i guess, similar things happened with tv shows after 9-11.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The 10th episode already aired on broadcast television on March 12 with a scene of characters being swept away by a giant wave — during the time that television stations were superimposing a graphic of tsunami warnings over all programming.

Wow, what were the odds of that...? I'm glad they're erring on the side of caution and good taste with this.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wonder what this means for Deadman Wonderland? The plot takes place after "The Great Tokyo Earthquake"...
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Wonder what this means for Deadman Wonderland? The plot takes place after "The Great Tokyo Earthquake"...

I was wondering the exact same thing. But since that event is not the major happening of the series, I don't think it will effect much. At least I hope...
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how much of Evangelion Q will have to be changed... and how much of it can be changed. The (presumably very expensive) animation process has been going on for a while now, and it's pretty hard to avoid scenes of mass disaster and destruction in Evangelion. The plot of the 1995 series was changed because of the Aum Shinrikyo attacks because the original scenario was considered "too close to reality" and "not suitable for broadcasting", and now a much worse disaster has hit during the production of the third movie in a trilogy/tetralogy. Studio Khara's said nothing other than that an Evangelion themed event was canceled.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Eh, can't be helped. Very understandable that they'd edit those scenes out.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
This is wrong.

I can understand people being traumatized by the incident, and rightly so, but this action still falls victim to sensationalist censorship.

No matter how bad an incident, I'm a firm believer in not caving in to people's emotions. If you have a story to tell, tell it unrestrained.
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. It was ridiculous when the US did those things after 9/11 and it seems ridiculous now. I can understand halting Tokyo Magnitude and reruns of the Onii-chan episode, but editing everything that might resemble quake/tsunami destruction? What about that Japanese resilience?

Either way it isn't really important. This is a tragedy that goes way beyond what is (or isn't) being shown on tv.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is wrong.

I can understand people being traumatized by the incident, and rightly so, but this action still falls victim to sensationalist censorship.

No matter how bad an incident, I'm a firm believer in not caving in to people's emotions. If you have a story to tell, tell it unrestrained.

I sort of agree, but none of these changes are really over-the-top. I'm sure if you go buy whatever volume Oniichan-whatever ep.10 is on, it won't be edited.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think this is just as useless as people complaining that violent videogames lead to violent crime in real life.

People need to stop merging fiction and reality together and realize that a fictional earthquake, a fictional tsunami, or a fictional meltdown have nothing to do with reality, and that stopping them from being shown on tv won't stop them from actually happening any more than not showing it on the news would make it all disappear.

They are a story, nothing more and pointless censorship like this is silly.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that it's about people viewing something fictional as reality, they are quite capable of telling them apart...

...But rather that after such a disaster, anything that could remind them of such events can psychologically traumatize them more so than before. And I know that even minor earthquakes, little tremors, in the future will badly affect a lot of people. And if there are no censorships, then it could also cause complaints.

This sort of thing has been done before, to the point where some episodes of some series have actually been banned and never been aired, or released, ever. At least these things don't appear to be facing the same fate, but are rather just being cut for their initial release and will probably be left uncut for the home releases, or future airings.

And it's not just the viewers who will be affected, but also the writers, artists... heck anyone behind such creations. I was in the process of writing a fictional story about earthquakes in the Abashiri Subprefecture, Hokkaido, and now I certainly don't feel comfortable continuing that after this.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is wrong.

I agree that these shows should be re-released uncensored in the future. But not now. Not so soon after a disaster like this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an issue of censorship. Censorship deals with things that are considered objectionable. In this case, it's being deemed inappropriate given the circumstances.

It's not about "restraining" one's ability to tell a story, it's about tact in not having something similar to a real-life tragedy aired closely after, for entertainment.

Furthermore, anime is an industry, like any other, focused on making money. When your target demographic is still reeling from an earthquake, tsunami, and possible meltdown at a nuclear plant, they don't want to watch something dealing precisely with those things. For a movie, that means not going to see it. For something broadcast on TV, that means not watching it. Which hurts the revenue for those things.

Unless the episode of the program is vital to the continuing plot, dropping a single episode of a show (which will, of course, be included on the DVD/BD release) will not affect the overall viewability of the program. And so people will still watch it and you won't lose your ad revenue from the broadcast.

Finally, for the television anime, this will increase viewership. After a tragedy, people want entertainment to distract themselves, not remind them of what has happened. By specifically removing the "similar" elements, and advertising that they have done so, the network is saying "Look! We have safe programming! You can safely distract yourselves here without worrying about ill-timed aspects."
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Up next: Prints of Hokusai's Kanagawa Oki Nami Ura will be halted until further notice.

I really don't approve of edits with this stuff. Things being postponed, yes, but outright changes for the long run? Ah well, guess they rather play it safe to the max right now.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
If that's the case the Japanese will come to hate Whitebeard.

I don't really agree with it. Maybe cancelling the re-run of Tokyo Magnitude, yes, because that's quite heavy and realistic, but the others... hardly.

Filling the gap with "selected" episodes of other series? I guess all the delayed anime isn't really disrupting their schedule.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6