• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Questions and Altruism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Unfortunatly for 'Matthew', My Little Pony has already been remade. Into one of the greatest cartoons of the past 15 years or so.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Bill Watterson's feelings aside, Hayao Miyazaki can never direct Calvin and Hobbes because there's no way he can get around not having a female lead.

(BTW, I actually wrote a college essay on Calvin and Hobbes. Laughing )
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. I just clicked that link for Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Is this a sign I'm getting old? I just kinda reviled back in horror. Is this how parents who grew up on Tom and Jerry reacted when they saw their kids watching Evangelion? All these bishojo moe bait shows are starting to blur to me. It feels like I've already seen half these shows done a million times already. Is that what the anime industry has come down to? Or am I just getting that old?
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
I would like to believe that Puella isn't seeing a simulcast because it might get licensed in the states. A naive, rather ignorant hope, but a license would make me quite happy.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Oh wow. I just clicked that link for Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Is this a sign I'm getting old? I just kinda reviled back in horror. Is this how parents who grew up on Tom and Jerry reacted when they saw their kids watching Evangelion? All these bishojo moe bait shows are starting to blur to me. It feels like I've already seen half these shows done a million times already. Is that what the anime industry has come down to? Or am I just getting that old?

I think the show is well-known enough that it wouldn't be a spoiler for me to say that you shouldn't let the promo art trick you, the show is actually hella dark and eerie, and Shinbo chose to promote the series with such cutey-patootie art in order to mess with the otakus. I felt the same way as you did when I first saw the promotional art, but it's actually part of a very neat little bait-and-switch on Shinbo's part. Smile
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes so hard. I will leave it up to someone else to write a longer reply, because I have a bus to catch, but I think you missed this part of the encyclopedia page.
Quote:
Themes: big revelations, despair, evil being, magic, magical girl, mind break, tragedy, wishes
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
I predict Madoka Magica is really going to cement Gen Urobuchi popularity considering how much the fans are really resonating with the story well. So far, it's a good story that's by far one of the most well-paced series I've seen in quite some time. It's actually makes me a bit more excited for the upcoming Fate/Zero.

It's actually a novel concept of having each episode FORWARD the story especially for a 1 cour TV series. Surprised
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
What others have said, Madoka is about as much as a standard magical series as Evangelion is a standard mecha series or Higurashi/When They Cry is a standard harem/slice-of-life series.

And yes, Studio Ghibil/Miyazaki would be amongst the very few people I would trust to handle Bill Watterson's amazing illustrations, especially during some of Calvin's "imagination" scenes. But I'm pretty sure the tone of the series wouldn't be Miyazaki's sort of thing. Heck, I'd be worried he might take Calvin's occasional disgust towards humanity's treatment of the environment and go too far with it.

enurtsol: He didn't seem to have that problem when he made his Lupin the III movie or Princess Mononoke.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
Gargoyles might transition well to an anime. The best show of my childhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyles_%28TV_series%29
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Wow, this post actually made me angry reading it.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Unfortunatly for 'Matthew', My Little Pony has already been remade. Into one of the greatest cartoons of the past 15 years or so.

I'm glad someone else is appreciating it besides me! Smile Matthew apparently doesn't get the HUB channel. Razz

I used to love the Smurfs as a kid. LOVED them. But I would NEVER want to see them be remade...oh wait they're coming out with that movie, aren't they? *cries* My childhood! My childhood!
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
@ 4nBlue and Garfield

Hey now, don't be too harsh on The Xenos! After all, the artwork WAS meant to trick people right? I myself only started watching Madoka after I read blog posts along the lines of "oh my gawd episode three, oh my gawd. Urobuchi Gen you lying b*stard!". After that curiosity kind of got the better of me and now I'm hooked. Definitely buying this if it gets licensed. So hard to convince others to watch it though Anime cry And I'm sure the artwork plays a big part in that.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
After all, the artwork WAS meant to trick people right?

Yes, it is meant to be intentionally misleading. According to some sources, director Shinbo intended to hide the fact that Urobuchi Gen (Saya no Uta) was going to be writing for the project in order to lull audiences into believing that the series would be a light "moe" show. However, the staff was leaked before the show started airing and so most people had an inkling of what was going on! (Too bad, it would have been very funny if no one had known!)

Also woooah, Gen Urobuchi wrote Fate/Zero? I thought that it was another Nasu work. Now I'm kind of stoked about the anime! (I'd always thought that Fate/Stay Night would be so much better written by someone else, and well, so it is! Yippee!!)
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

I'm glad someone else is appreciating it besides me! Smile Matthew apparently doesn't get the HUB channel. Razz

But the episodes are so easy to find on Youtube, most likely because the show is paid for in merchandise so Hasbro doesn't care about the unofficial online streaming.

MLP: Friendship is Magic is probably one of the best examples of how with the right person at the helm any cartoon series can become enjoyable to watch for people of all ages and gender.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
yesss, the new My Little Pony is so good! I love how girly and kiddy it is without being cynical or underestimating its audience (either the kids or the kids-at-heart.) Now that I think of it, on the one hand we have MLP going "YEAH girls, through friendship and magic you can do anything!" and then Madoka Magica going "NO YOU CAN'T D:<"

This is a weird season for cartoons.

Oh and speaking of which, Jem would make an outrageous shoujo anime. It kind of reminds me of Ai Shite Night... (WARNING: possibly too GLAM for workplace viewing!) The Answerfans this week was really fun to read!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4