• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Box Office Numbers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Well, if I was a stockholder of 4Kids, i'd be demanding the heads of the idiots that thought a Yu-Gi-Oh Movie was a good idea.

$19 million in 6 Weeks? Give me a break. $19 million in two weeks? Reasonable.

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. $19.6 million is a lot of money considering that the movie was probably made for less than for $5 dollars. 4Kids never expected it to gross $100 million. Add to that the revenue from the sale of DVDs and you'll see that this movie made more than enough money to warrant it's existance (plus this movie already made some money overseas). In any case, 4Kids didn't loose any money. I expect them to show profit during this fiscal quarter.

FYI, a much more expensive anime "Steamboy" grossed less than $10 million in Japan. Now that's what I call a failure.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Its going to be playing in the AAFES movie theaters on military bases in the US and overseas. I wonder how much money it will make considering its $2-3 a person to get in the theater.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Well, if I was a stockholder of 4Kids, i'd be demanding the heads of the idiots that thought a Yu-Gi-Oh Movie was a good idea.

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. $19.6 million is a lot of money considering that the movie was probably made for less than for $5 dollars. 4Kids never expected it to gross $100 million. Add to that the revenue from the sale of DVDs and you'll see that this movie made more than enough money to warrant it's existance (plus this movie already made some money overseas). In any case, 4Kids didn't loose any money. I expect them to show profit during this fiscal quarter.

FYI, a much more expensive anime "Steamboy" grossed less than $10 million in Japan. Now that's what I call a failure.

As an Investor, I want to see my invested money grow, and I want to see that money grow as much as possible. From what I gathered with 4Kids attempts with this movie, i'm not very impressed.

(Note this is just my Investor interpritation.)

For starters, by not releasing the budget for the movie, this may lead to some red flags here. Why did they not reveal their budget where nearly all movies released in North America has info about it's production budget and advertising budget? I can go to Box Office Mojo, and they list both the Production and Advertising Budgets of all the current films. Could it be that they messed up their budget somewhere and don't wanna admit it yet? Maybe the Card Promotion was much higher than they anticipated? Until such info is known and made public, it's a red flag.

Another is the promotion of the film. The only commercial i've seen on TV, half of the commercial was devoted to the Free Card Promo. Most of the print media is non-existant (I didn't even see one ad in Newtype, Animerica, or Anime Insider, just blurbs). The only news i've seen on this film was thru ANN along with Magazines. I rarely watch Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood, so a pretty good guess is that they also made a blurb or two. Pretty much, Advertising is non-existant (and "Word of Mouth" isn't acceptable.). Coupled with no figures for an Advertising Budget, Red Flag.

The Box Office Take is dismal. Compared with Pokemon, I would expect at least a take near Pokemons numbers or a few million under Pokemon given the fanatical fandom of Yu-Gi-Oh. As an Investor, I would expect such expectation from 4 Kids given that track record. But it took them what, 6 weeks to make $20 Million? I would think maybe $20 Million in 3 weeks, but 6? Red Flag.

Now, what about the rush to get it onto DVD? It could be a sign that they wanna captialize on the Holiday Season, but it also could mean that they are desperate to recoup the "lost profits" from the Movie Showing. I'll reserve the Red Flag because it's up in the air why they made this move. Both sides of the fence have a logical explanation, and can back it up with reasons that sound legitimate.

And without access to the Budget, and their hesitation, Red Flag.

I'd say that my money is better invested in Iraqi Dinars than 4 Kids given this info.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Proman wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

As an Investor, I want to see my invested money grow, and I want to see that money grow as much as possible. From what I gathered with 4Kids attempts with this movie, i'm not very impressed.

(Note this is just my Investor interpritation.)

For starters, by not releasing the budget for the movie, this may lead to some red flags here. Why did they not reveal their budget where nearly all movies released in North America has info about it's production budget and advertising budget? I can go to Box Office Mojo, and they list both the Production and Advertising Budgets of all the current films. Could it be that they messed up their budget somewhere and don't wanna admit it yet? Maybe the Card Promotion was much higher than they anticipated? Until such info is known and made public, it's a red flag.

Another is the promotion of the film. The only commercial i've seen on TV, half of the commercial was devoted to the Free Card Promo. Most of the print media is non-existant (I didn't even see one ad in Newtype, Animerica, or Anime Insider, just blurbs). The only news i've seen on this film was thru ANN along with Magazines. I rarely watch Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood, so a pretty good guess is that they also made a blurb or two. Pretty much, Advertising is non-existant (and "Word of Mouth" isn't acceptable.). Coupled with no figures for an Advertising Budget, Red Flag.

The Box Office Take is dismal. Compared with Pokemon, I would expect at least a take near Pokemons numbers or a few million under Pokemon given the fanatical fandom of Yu-Gi-Oh. As an Investor, I would expect such expectation from 4 Kids given that track record. But it took them what, 6 weeks to make $20 Million? I would think maybe $20 Million in 3 weeks, but 6? Red Flag.

Now, what about the rush to get it onto DVD? It could be a sign that they wanna captialize on the Holiday Season, but it also could mean that they are desperate to recoup the "lost profits" from the Movie Showing. I'll reserve the Red Flag because it's up in the air why they made this move. Both sides of the fence have a logical explanation, and can back it up with reasons that sound legitimate.

And without access to the Budget, and their hesitation, Red Flag.

I'd say that my money is better invested in Iraqi Dinars than 4 Kids given this info.

I'm sorry to say but you would make a pretty bad investor.
Allow me to expalain you a couple of things. And I don't need to sound legitimate (because I know a lot about the industry).

First of all, as a big investor you would actually have to approve the decision to make a movie (but this can slightly vary from company to company).

Second, "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie" made a profit (what kind of investor would complain about that?).

Third, it's box office take is not "dismal". In fact, it's the third highest grossing anime movie in US history. The movie grossed as much as it could. Contrary, to what you might think, for better or for worse, "Yu-Gi-Oh" was never as big as "Pokemon" was in it's peak (that's when the first two movies were released). "Yu-Gi-Oh" video games never sold as weHowever, "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie" already outgrossed later "Pokemon" sequels. Sadly, anime movies just don't gross that much in USA (which is the point you seem to be missing). Dreamworks decided to release "Innocence" in theathers and it only made $317,722 in it's first weekend.

Do you even know how much small budget films make in USA? "Before Sunset" (the best film of the year, IMO) has only grossed just over $5.7 but it's already considered to be a successs.

The reason why they promoted "Free Cards" in their commercials is because for many "Yu-Gi-Oh" CCG fans it's the main reason to go see the movie (many times). That's clever advertising. On the other hand, I agree that they would've promoted it even more. Still, I think the absolute majority of "Yu-Gi-Oh" fans knew it was coming.

The main reason why you can't access budget information for "Yu-Gi-Oh" the movie on BoxOfficeMojo (by the way, this information is unavailable for a lot more movies that you think) is because 4Kids doesen't want people to know how cheap it cost them to make the movie. They don't want people to think that this movie is low-quality (which I find to be very ironic). However, if you're really interested, you will be able to see it on their next earnings report.

Also, they are not "rushing" their DVD release. For your information, nowdays most comapanies release their movoies on DVD three month after it's theatrical release. The studios realized that this way the movies will be still fresh in people's mind's so they won't have to spend as much money on advertising. Plus, the movies will sell better. This is true for all movies and not just anime. And of course, 4Kids wants to take advantage of the Holiday Season, you dummy. It would be dumb of them not to do it. What "red flags"? The movie will sell on DVD so well, it will more than warrant the movie's existance.

The bottom line is, "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie" did reasonably well (no, it wasn't a smash hit but I don't think anybody expected it to become one) and will do even better on DVDs. There's absolutely no need to talk about "lost profits", "red flags" and such. I think I've made my point (I can provide even more reason but I'm too tired) and consider this conversation to be over.

P.S. I am not a fan of 4Kids (it's quite the opposite). I'm just making a point.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
My way of figuring out if a company is doing well or not has worked for me in the past numerous times. I actually got out of at least two companies that filed for bankruptcy several days after I unloaded my stocks (And no, it wasn't Enron or Worldcom.) saving me money. Several factors (two of which are in my "analysis" of 4Kids) helped me in deciding to sell stock.

One was one companies non-disclosure of a major project budget. When I did a little digging, I found out they were $4 Million OVERBUDGET and they were at risk of scraping their project. Needless to say, I quit while I was ahead. 2 weeks later, they filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection. I could've lost a five-figured ammount if I didn't pull out.

And I double-checked Box Office Mojo: the ones that don't show Budgets are mostly independent films (if you check the Weekend take, which i'm using for now). Nearly all the Major Studios do release their budgets for most of their films (which I did note earlier, so don't put words into my mouth.) and I find it suspicious that 4Kids didn't release such a budget for Yu-Gi-Oh. And 4Kids isn't really "Independent" in the most liberal of terminology.

Oh, and I do use another tactic, but that's my little trade secret. Let's say if I used it now, I'd lose money with 4Kids given the info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2