• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll iOS App Lists Spring 2011 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
llamaben wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Basically, FUNimation's deal is with FCC so only covers shows where FCC is responsible for the international (or at least the North American) distribution rights.
While their deal is with FCC, that doesn't mean they didn't pick up other noitaminA titles from other companies.

..no, but I don't believe that has happened for any noitaminA show they have streamed since the deal started (if they picked up a noitaminA show outside the deal they would almost certainly have got full rights, not just streaming, and would also have got UK and Australian rights too if possible - all noitaminA series streamed by FUNi since the deal have been North America only).
It makes no difference. If FCC has the rights, FUNi gets it automatically (for the duration of the partnership). Is someone else has the rights for whatever reason, then it is up for negotiation like Hourou Musuko. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
llamaben

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It makes no difference. If FCC has the rights, FUNi gets it automatically (for the duration of the partnership). Is someone else has the rights for whatever reason, then it is up for negotiation like Hourou Musuko. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make any more.
I'm not really sure what point I was trying to make either Confused. But anyway, if Funi really wanted a non-FCC noitaminA title they would still probably get it over CR or other companies. All I'm saying is that there would be a reason behind not simulcasting Wandering Son and (presumably) Ano Hana, and it's quite possible that the same reason applies to FCC titles too once their partnership runs out.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll might be getting Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi?? Yes please about time we get some Shounen-Ai titles.

Also the other other ones they listed I've been wanting to check out too so this will hopefully be a good season for me
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
llamaben wrote:
All I'm saying is that there would be a reason behind not simulcasting Wandering Son

a) they didn't want it
b) they couldn't settle on terms
c) they weren't even offered it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Although they have yet to announce it, Crunchyroll has had a Spring lineup page up since at least yesterday. It currently shows 13 "?" boxes for new titles, with the first nine listed to be announced March 28 - March 30 (three titles per day).

UPDATE: The listing was later changed so that only the first two boxes show March 28 as the announcement date, and the remaining 11 boxes were changed to TDB (to be determined).

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
... (if they picked up a noitaminA show outside the deal they would almost certainly have got full rights, not just streaming, and would also have got UK and Australian rights too if possible - all noitaminA series streamed by FUNi since the deal have been North America only) ....
Isn't this, "would have also got UK and Australian rights too if necessary."?

That is, is there any reason to believe that Funimation prefers an "English speaking countries" license to an R1 license? I don't see why they would.

It is obvious why some Japanese production committees would rather not bother negotiating separate deals for the separate markets, so sometimes Funimation will only have the broader license available. But given their preferences, it seems they'd be better off if all their licenses could be R1 only.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
From my post on the CR forums.

I just got on my ipod and found on the notification part that Gintama is now on there. I guess it got leaked?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
is there any reason to believe that Funimation prefers an "English speaking countries" license to an R1 license? I don't see why they would.

It is obvious why some Japanese production committees would rather not bother negotiating separate deals for the separate markets, so sometimes Funimation will only have the broader license available. But given their preferences, it seems they'd be better off if all their licenses could be R1 only.

FUNimation quite often gets the UK rights (also Australia and apparently sometimes South Africa too) and sub-licenses to Manga (and Madman). AFAIK they are the only US company to currently do so (ADV used to, Sentai never does) so I assume it is something they specifically ask for rather than something "forced" on them. All the titles on this list are ones that FUNimation has UK rights for since they are all available to view here on their Youtube channel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3