• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderators and Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

While I'm happy to see that, I think being slapped on moderation or being perma-banned is the only thing that will truly cure his fetish. I'm pretty sure he was temp-banned before for this but the lesson obviously didn't sink in.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

While I'm happy to see that, I think being slapped on moderation or being perma-banned is the only thing that will truly cure his fetish. I'm pretty sure he was temp-banned before for this but the lesson obviously didn't sink in.

I don't think it will, some people never learn but that is all I have to say on that topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Referring back to the original post of the thread (the topic of the thread), I want to take into consideration the moderation of moderator Key.

I think this moderator thoughtlessly locks threads. I know this may sound like a generic rant, but it seems that every time I log in about 90% of the time I see a freshly locked topic its by this person.
A lot of the the topics are properly locked, however I run into quite a few, that seem like they could have gone on as a decent legit topic, not violating Teh Rules.

This is a quote from a topic of mine she locked
Quote:
Sorry, but since this series has never been released in the U.S., the only answer to this question would involve fansubs, and such requests are forbidden here.

I asked about the ONA for School Days. I do believe this topic could have led to some decent information that wouldn't have led to fan-subs. This one can be a borderline question, say for example someone said a simple yes, there are subs to it, but not give off a website. At least I would have learned that there is a sub, despite still having to search for one.

This quote is from someones thread about contacting studios
Quote:
Good luck with your efforts. If you can read Japanese, I recommend checking out the home page for each of the respective studios, as doubtless they have contact information.

If you can't read and speak Japanese, though, then it is not worth your time and effort to try.

Well worded, but still pointlessly closed thread in my opinion. The guy was only asking about an animation project.

Now this locked thread is a properly locked one.
The quote is
Quote:
Locked for an utter lack of substance or commentary on why people like these titles, which is a clear violation of forum rules.

This is from a thread called whats your favorite manga. The thread had nothing but 1 liners right from the thread starter and no conversation.

These are the only examples I could find, because the other topics over the past few months I have watched have been completely deleted now. I wish I had the earlier ones to go on.

I'm going on this topic as lightly as I can.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
generic rant

Focus on the word "generic." It seems you've been a member of this site since it's inception, but haven't been an active forum-goer till just recently. I don't know how familiar you are with the forums or its etiquette, but you coincidentally bring up a very good point of what this forum is full of "genericism."

Year after year I and the other mods have seen generic after generic thread or topic asking lots of meaningless questions, some of them being clear violations of "Teh Rules," which we obviously feel the need to enforce, or else the boards would be full of crap.

It's not so much that genercism is a bad thing. There's still plenty of it around. You just have to word it a little better, or at least make it discussable to fellow ANN-ers. My personal philosophy is that just because you get something locked doesn't mean you can't try to discuss it again. You just have to do it better, kinda' to "surpass" the generic and actually make it interesting. Listing: doesn't do that. One-liners: doesn't do that. Bad grammar and/or obscure sentence structure: doesn't do that. And honestly, after seeing so much crap threads through the years, I guarantee you'd be somewhat desensitized, too.

By the way, older threads from the Anime forum are moved to the Trash forum my me, which is why you're not finding any ammo for your defense. Sorry you may not agree with how things are run here, but there's no ill will or ulterior motives behind it unless your name is GATSU or R.G..
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Aoi_Sakaraba"]This is a quote from a topic of mine she locked
Quote:
Sorry, but since this series has never been released in the U.S., the only answer to this question would involve fansubs, and such requests are forbidden here.

Hi Aoi,

I looked at your two most recent locked posts. The more recent one was a blatant request for fansubs (Sasurai no Shoujo Nell). You've been here long enough to know the rules. If you had simply asked "are there any legal sites streaming this" your post would not have been locked.

As for the School Days post, I actually have to agree with you regarding the post, but you're baiting the mods by discussing the fansub availability. Leave out how hard it is to get certain episodes subbed and the post would have been just fine. I've unlocked that post.

-t
smallfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
I removed your post because you, once again, chose to try to turn the thread in to a "let's argue my opinions about the moderation and drag the topic deeper in to the mud", not because I was "butthurt" (the use of the term demonstrates you're still not getting it).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for a response by a Moderator, preferably one that checks the Moderation list.

Why are some of my posts not being allowed? And no, the posts aren't bad or impolite. They were Anime Guessing Game answers and the topic I made in the Bugs and Technical Questions sub-forum about the ANN.au redirect thing that's been implemented. Hardly things that would warrant being denied. A more recent post got through, but why not the earlier ones when there's absolutely no reason to think that they were violating any forum rules?

So yeah, given that from my point of view my posts are seemingly being denied or approved at random, could I at least have an explanation of what was so wrong with the ones that were denied?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm looking for a response by a Moderator, preferably one that checks the Moderation list.

Why are some of my posts not being allowed? And no, the posts aren't bad or impolite. They were Anime Guessing Game answers and the topic I made in the Bugs and Technical Questions sub-forum about the ANN.au redirect thing that's been implemented. Hardly things that would warrant being denied. A more recent post got through, but why not the earlier ones when there's absolutely no reason to think that they were violating any forum rules?

So yeah, given that from my point of view my posts are seemingly being denied or approved at random, could I at least have an explanation of what was so wrong with the ones that were denied?

Concerning the game thread posts: if no one has yet posted a correct answer, or a correct answer has been posted but not yet confirmed by the picture/quote poster, then the post with your correct guess goes through. Otherwise it doesn't, just to save confusion on the time stamp issues. Unfortunately that's happened twice in the past 24 hours.

The other post you're referring to I just cleared and moved into the Bugs/Technical Questions forum. It got buried in the 1,000+ spam forum posts we've gotten in the past 24 hours (which is also partly to blame for the other problem), so it took some time to get to.

And no, I'm not exaggerating one bit on those spam post numbers. We had been averaging in the 300-400 per day range for the year up until about the time of the big earthquake. It doubled around that time and has gone up even more just in the last 3-4 days. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, thanks for responding I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6