• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I know it's not anime, however....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:24 am Reply with quote
No, Chuck Jones never wrote a manga or anime script, nor drew one, however he was a pioneer in American animation.

He drew Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, and the rest. He directed everything from Bugs to Tom & Jerry. He outlived everyone else he worked with.

Chuck Jones died at his home yesterday. He was 89. RIP. :(
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hrrrmmmmphhh. Damnit. This sucks. Chuck Jones rocked. He was definitely the greatest living animator around.

At least, though, Chuck was able to be honored with a lifetime acheivement award and other such awards before his passing - unlike other WB directors, such as Bob McKimson or Bob Clampett.

Now that he's gone, though, I'd recommend reading all of his books, especially "Chuck Amuck." He's very one-sided in his writing and not very nice to those in the industry he did not like (Jones had a long-standing fued with Bob Clampett, for example), but it's a fascinating read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Bob Clampett would probably get more recognition if it wasn't for "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves". :lol:
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Bob Clampett would probably get more recognition if it wasn't for "Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves". :lol:

Wasn't Clampett unfairly criticized for that one? I thought that cartoon was produced specifically for black soldiers, and that the top black entertainers of the day were involved in the production, and one of the whole points of it was to poke fun at black stereotypes. Plus "So White" is drawn very attractively. Can one enjoy the "Banned 11" Warner cartoons and not be racist?

"Dat mean ol' Queen,
She sho' is a fright,
But her gal So White
is Dy-no-mite!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:36 am Reply with quote
nagash wrote:

He drew Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, and the rest. He directed everything from Bugs to Tom & Jerry. He outlived everyone else he worked with.

Chuck Jones died at his home yesterday. He was 89. RIP. Sad

Hmmm, I'll bet CN might have something planned in the near future for him. It might interupt Toonami (Keeping true to the forum.) But it's sad to see the man that tought me how to laugh (Tex Avery (sp) tought me how to be loony though.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:00 am Reply with quote
There was. There was a caricature of Chuck Jones on the screen, followed by "We'll miss you." It was a commercial.

At any case, It's a damn shame. Without him, we might not have any of the cartoons we have today, including Anime.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Wasn't Clampett unfairly criticized for that one? I thought that cartoon was produced specifically for black soldiers, and that the top black entertainers of the day were involved in the production, and one of the whole points of it was to poke fun at black stereotypes. Plus "So White" is drawn very attractively. Can one enjoy the "Banned 11" Warner cartoons and not be racist?

This is true. Clampett flew out Rod Scribner and several other of his best animators out to Harlem to aid in the production of the film. It was a great cartoon, and WWII audiences loved it.

Unfortunately, though, most of the other "Banned 11" cartoons were very offensive (nearly all of which were directed by Friz Freleng, himself quite the racist), so I can understand Turner's decision to keep them out of the public eye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's a complete list, drawn in 1968 by United Artists (according to this page, UA controlled the rights at the time, not Warner), of the "Censored 11". I think they pulled several more ones since then; the ones on the Censored 11 list are just ones than can be perceived as anti-black; the list doesn't include the anti-Japanese propaganda films like "Tokio Jokio" and "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips",nor does it include the ones which may offend Native Americans or Inuit (also known as Eskimos, though they are really just one tribe of Inuit).

When it comes to banned cartoons, at least, due to copyright lapse, we can get the Warner ones elsewhere. Disney plays games with the copyrights of their WWII stuff, so the only way to watch their hilarious "Der Furher's Face" starring Donald Duck is through bootlegs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1