• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vocaloid talk.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace-of-roses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think i have seen a thread on all vocaloids. So, who is your favourite vocaloid? Share your top songs, covers, fanarts and more, keep in mind that talk on engloids and nico singers are accepted.
Rakiko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
About the anime songs... for me the greateast singer is and will always be Mitsuko Horie (Micchi) she is realy awesome and has the most beautiful voice.
In Quebec when I was 3-4 years old "Kerokko Demetan" was on tv in French but we had the original Japanese opening & ending song not like in France with there French song...Anime hyper
"Kerokko Demetan" has been the first Japanese song I learnt when I was 4 years old.
So the net has been great for discove all other songs by Micchi.
I've some of her CD like this one 35th anniversary of her carreer as singer from 2004.

Syntelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Hatsune Miku. :3 Some of my favorites would be Love is War, Last Night Good Night and Anthem. Most of the Vocaloid songs I listen to are composed by Livetune and Supercell.

Basically, Miku is the only Vocaloid I listen to. Razz The other Vocaloids have nice voices, but they didn't appeal to me as much as Miku has. To be honest, before I got into Vocaloid I hated it. I thought all the voices were too high and autotuned, but then I began listening to a lot of Pop music(Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, B.O.B. collabs). I slowly began to get used to the electronic voice of Miku. The PVs along with the music are what makes Vocaloids even better. Even if it's just a drawing in the background, it's nice seeing so many different artists make music and draw Vocaloids in different styles. The character designs aren't half bad either. The school uniform costumes on Rin, Len and Miku I found were really cute. xD There was also Luka who just looked really awesome in black and gold.

WHEW. Basically, these are what I love best about Vocaloids. :]
Reanbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I'm such a big Vocaloid fan that I've cosplayed Miku, and am going to be cosplaying her in her DWC costume later this month. xD I'm also a HUGE Kaito fangirl *___*
My favourite songs atm are probably Rolling Girl (by Miku), Cendrillon (by Miku & Kaito), Magnet, Sweet's Beast (by Kaito), Maneuver of the Goddess (by Len & Neru) (original of this got removed from YT... it had alot more views xD), Marionette Beat Breaks (by Len & Neru) and The Cursed Glasses (by Rin & Gakupo).
Anime catgrin

I also have MMD and Utau... my Utau sounds bad though, and I'm not good at MMD. xD I want Project Diva.
Lucky_Smrt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put actual reasons. -TK
Kittenbeast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No lists. Put reasons. -TK]
lizhuberx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
In light of recent events in Japan, I feel this song is so appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXlKJbsNhY0
from "Resound" album by OneRoom.

Miku sings in lament of someone who is no longer in her life, (possiblily Kaito,) who might have died or something, and in her grief he appears to her to say "do not weep for we will meet again someday". Crying or Very sad

Razz

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
I can't stop playing "Putting my wishes into a Starry Sky - Good Night". Once I got the words plus listening to the usual up down rollercoaster of the vocals on low to higher notes the song really got me right there.

The duo of Rin and Miku singing Promise is amazing on my 39's giving day dvd.

Lin Kagamine singing Kokoro and Luka Megurine singing Double Lariat I just cannot get enough of.

The people making their music original really do a great job with them and the Vocaloids seem to enjoy singing their works very much. Laughing
I bought 2 cds, 1 cd with a dvd and the 39's giving day 2010 live concert. I listen to parts of it still every day since I got it.

A long long time ago I had a sound blaster video card then a sound blaster 16. It had the Yamaha voice thing on it and we could use it to make some voices in some manner of which now I have no idea since I cannot use those cards any more. That was like 1991? Oh well.

What I discovered tonight was the Vocaloids are missing something that should be included on the next incarnation version and that is the pause or stop, gasping of air where you go to say something emotionally powerful and you can't then your lip quivers. Then you stay it and the voice is different and you try to finish the sentence. The song was Miku singing "No you, no me". That technique shouldn't be used often and most certainly not in every song but its missing.

All the Vocaloids are great at whatever they do.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
sunflowerseed wrote:
What I discovered tonight was the Vocaloids are missing something that should be included on the next incarnation version and that is the pause or stop, gasping of air where you go to say something emotionally powerful and you can't then your lip quivers. Then you stay it and the voice is different and you try to finish the sentence. The song was Miku singing "No you, no me". That technique shouldn't be used often and most certainly not in every song but its missing.
They've had that since the start. I'm surprised you've never heard it. Here's an example of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ilpyb8q3I

and here's an example of how it has been used with this song, from Toy Box by Oneroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpPfsvYzig

I've heard others too.
Wink
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@sunflowerseed
I'm not sure if what Mohawk52 provided was what you were talking about, but I'm assuming you wanted to hear them sound like they were having trouble saying something. (It's similar to how some lovestruck kid will awkwardly confess their love to their crush.) That effect requires an incredible amount of knowledge and skill in manipulating the software to be pulled off perfectly, but it can be done with what is already out. The appends for Vocaloids have made changes and variation in voice much easier than before since they include different, updated voice banks that each convey a specific range of emotions and power. However, a Vocaloid user will only be able to pull off what you're talking about if: a) they are willing to switch between voice banks and blend them together to make it sound like only one voice is singing or b) they are really really skilled in using one voicebank that they can express a full range of emotions and power, regardless if they're using an append voicebank or not.

絆創ガンナー halyosy ft. Hatsune Miku: This is an example of when someone uses different append voicebanks at different times to seem as if a singular voice is singing. (Then there are the background vocals, but we're not focusing on that.)

Just a Game - takamatt ft. GUMI: I'm providing this song mostly for the intro. This is an example of when a user can manipulate a single voicebank well enough to make it sound like... that. It might not show you the effect that you're talking about, but it does show you that the capabilities to create that effect are there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought he meant that what was missing was the sound of her breathing in to say a word, or express a feeling, or mood. Perhaps a better example would be this append;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyNOHZO0fo

Then there's this one where Miku cries out in desperation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTm6Q5Pj_Jo&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_218526

Also from the Toy Box album by Oneroom.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52

Well, this is the part that I focused on from his post:

sunflowerseed wrote:
[...] you go to say something emotionally powerful and you can't then your lip quivers. Then you stay it and the voice is different and you try to finish the sentence.

He does mention a breath, but this is the effect he wanted. It's like when someone speaks normally, chokes on their own words, and then they struggle to finish their sentence without crying.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
@Mohawk52

Well, this is the part that I focused on from his post:

sunflowerseed wrote:
[...] you go to say something emotionally powerful and you can't then your lip quivers. Then you stay it and the voice is different and you try to finish the sentence.

He does mention a breath, but this is the effect he wanted. It's like when someone speaks normally, chokes on their own words, and then they struggle to finish their sentence without crying.
I haven't heard that in a song as yet, and unless it was opera, or a song for a musical play, I couldn't see why else that scenario would be used anyway IMO, but I have heard it in some of the MMD plays, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHhF3rwF-g
rina-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
I particularly like Hatsune Miku, Miki Furukawa and Vocaloid3's SeeU Smile I love Mikus "Rolling Girl" , Mikus "Mr.Wonder" , SeeUs "Circus Monster" , SeeUs "Falling Rain" , Miki (and Kaito)s "INSANITY" and Miku (and Luka)s "Magnet" <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1