• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood BLURAY Part 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a good number of differences between the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but if one had to choose just one, it would be that Fullmetal Alchemist was controlled by the engineers while Brotherhood was controlled by the artists. The original's mechanical precision, its carefully measured ratios of action and tragedy and humor, are no coincidence. Brotherhood is the more organic of the two, ruled simply by what it wants to do rather than what it thinks it should.

That makes some sense. Basically, the first series took the core concept(really, what else could they work with?), and sorta predicted where and what it could really do/become.
In that sense, calling it "a controlled drama" is sorta like lumping it in with Key's formula series; not really fair.
Calling Brotherhood organic; in the sense that every bit of intelligence and world-building... and how it's only used to beef up it's shonen plot...
Well, is this a compliment or an insult? And to which series?

It seems that reviewing Brotherhood is becoming increasingly harder to properly do, because you can't help but compare it to the 1st series... and you can't help but nonchalantly badmouth it in the process, if just a smidgen.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
There are a good number of differences between the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but if one had to choose just one, it would be that Fullmetal Alchemist was controlled by the engineers while Brotherhood was controlled by the artists. The original's mechanical precision, its carefully measured ratios of action and tragedy and humor, are no coincidence. Brotherhood is the more organic of the two, ruled simply by what it wants to do rather than what it thinks it should.

That makes some sense. Basically, the first series took the core concept(really, what else could they work with?), and sorta predicted where and what it could really do/become.
In that sense, calling it "a controlled drama" is sorta like lumping it in with Key's formula series; not really fair.
Calling Brotherhood organic; in the sense that every bit of intelligence and world-building... and how it's only used to beef up it's shonen plot...
Well, is this a compliment or an insult? And to which series?

It seems that reviewing Brotherhood is becoming increasingly harder to properly do, because you can't help but compare it to the 1st series... and you can't help but nonchalantly badmouth it in the process, if just a smidgen.

From Carl's previous reviews of the original I take it as a compliment. The supposed mechanical like qualities of the original were something he heavily criticised. I actually get the impression that he prefers this version to the original.

I could be wrong though ^^
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
in my opinion, first anime's story of bigger than life love (this is the root of everything there) is actually more original than another clash of transcendent beings that the manga/second anime story is about... there are loads of the latter conceptually, but quite few, if any, of the former in the scale of the unfolding story...

however, both stories were done really well, so it should be recommended to every newcomer viewer to watch both animé and judge on their own...

(neither of these two animé are perfect, of course, but still these are excellent/outstanding...)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
What do you mean larger than life love? You mean the love Ed and Al share for each other? Yeah it's an emotional story but I wouldn't call it something rare.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
I really like the episode of Hohenheim's past. It was like the roots of FMA in 20 minutes and it really expanded his character a lot more than in the first FMA anime.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I really like the episode of Hohenheim's past. It was like the roots of FMA in 20 minutes and it really expanded his character a lot more than in the first FMA anime.

I used to joke that the first anime showed 5 minutes of Hohenheim's past than I found out it was 2 minutes. One of the most important relationships in the entire series is given two minutes to flesh out what happened in the past.

Aikawa and Mizushima really didn't think that the moment where spoiler[Hohenheim, Dante, and Envy seperated] not only didn't deserve it's own episode, but didn't need to be shown at all?

Three characters who had massive changes in character and we barely got anything.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
This needless side taking of "which is better?" creates fear for a future project:
The Berserk revamp movies.

Know why? Because we'll get discussions and posts and trolling about the same thing...
People will forget, or purposely block out the special qualities of the first series, undermine what it did despite it's an incomplete adaption, and/or make petty comments regarding it's faithfulness, it's ending, etc.
I get that remakes are popular because it's a fresh take, it'll have more to work with, and previous nostalgia will invoke half, if not all, of the enjoyment.

But, as a wise man said, we mustn't forget the classics. And, personally, a classic is something that's good DESPITE the inherit limitations. Which is why I'll almost always love the 1st series over Brotherhood(regardless of where the production staff went from there).

Basically, I hope we don't love remakes for the wrong reasons.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
This needless side taking of "which is better?"

You are right this needless debate about which version is better is silly. It all comes down to personal preferences. I do prefer Brotherhood but only because it follows the manga plot. And before anyone gets on my case about something being closer to its source material not being automatically better I know that. But I have preferred the manga to the first anime from the very beginning, way back in 2004 before there ever was a Brotherhood. It has nothing to do with what is new & fresh. So for me the manga storyline is what is the classic.

Anyways both sides bash the other adaption & this has been going on well before Brotherhood ever existed, trust me. In fact on another thread on these forums I see people acting like the first anime is some deep drama compared to the typical shonen plot of the manga & Brotherhood. I didn't say anything because I know I would just be unfair to the first anime like those posters were being unfair to the manga storyline. But really I see plenty of depth in the manga, more so in fact than in the first anime. But maybe I have missed things other people got out of the first anime. And maybe those people missed all that I see in the manga.

Basically I wish people would stop trying to bring down one version to raise up the version they like better. Unfortunately I know this is wishful thinking.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
This needless side taking of "which is better?"

. You are right this needless debate about which version is better is silly. It all comes down to personal preferences. I do prefer Brotherhood but only because it follows the manga plot. And before anyone gets on my case about something being closer to its source material not being automatically better I know that. But I have preferred the manga to the first anime from the very beginning, way back in 2004 before there ever was a Brotherhood. It has nothing to do with what is new & fresh. So for me the manga storyline is what is the classic. Anyways both sides bash the other adaption & this has been going on well before Brotherhood ever existed, trust me. In fact on another thread on these forums I see people acting like the first anime is some deep drama compared to the typical shonen plot of the manga & Brotherhood. I didn't say anything because I know I would just be unfair to the first anime like those posters were being unfair to the manga storyline. But really I see plenty of depth in the manga, mores than in the first anime. But maybe I have missed things other people got out of the first anime. And maybe those people missed all that I see in the manga. Basically I wish People would stop trying to bring down one version to raise the version they like better up. But Unfortunately I know that is wishful thinking.

Me too. I love both series. What's with this sudden comparison? Besides, Brotherhood is more of a reboot than a remake from the first anime, considering they have little in common.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
So when is Funi going to release a part 1 and part 2?
Then a complete series?
Then a rerelease?
Probably after they dub the movie I'm guessing.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
What do you mean larger than life love? You mean the love Ed and Al share for each other? Yeah it's an emotional story but I wouldn't call it something rare.

no, I mean the background of all events that happen in the first anime, to where it goes, who is and why behind everything, the very end of the anime...
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09:

I did not see anyone here talking about which anime is "better"... For one, I talked about conceptual originality... it does not equal to be better or worse...

as to berserk anime and possible continuation, it is another story since the anime was not really conclusive at all... new anime could continue from where the story ended and everything will be fine...
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth:

I was just mentioning a commonality that exists within the fanbase.

Carl's closing statement left me puzzled(for numerous reasons, among them is why'd he seemingly choose a shonen epic like FMA BD, over the psychodrama, humanitarian wonder like "1st FMA series"?), and slightly fearful.
I wasn't pointing fingers at you if that's what you're implying...

In any case, I realized that Berserk has every chance to have a dividing wall between fans.... and have be for the same pathetic reason!

I still hope that fans will just be happy.... and only worry about that! I mean, I can say that I wish Arakawa changed her story to symbolize alchemy more than simply have it be a "powersource". I wished, basically, that she matured a little with her story.
I mean, she could've learned from the 1st anime series, and REALLY applied that more!
Or.... did her pride get in the way? Another life mystery is created...[/quote]
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
This needless side taking of "which is better?" creates fear for a future project:
The Berserk revamp movies.

Know why? Because we'll get discussions and posts and trolling about the same thing...
People will forget, or purposely block out the special qualities of the first series, undermine what it did despite it's an incomplete adaption, and/or make petty comments regarding it's faithfulness, it's ending, etc.
I get that remakes are popular because it's a fresh take, it'll have more to work with, and previous nostalgia will invoke half, if not all, of the enjoyment.

But, as a wise man said, we mustn't forget the classics. And, personally, a classic is something that's good DESPITE the inherit limitations. Which is why I'll almost always love the 1st series over Brotherhood(regardless of where the production staff went from there).

Very true. The reason I enjoy brotherhood more is that the short jokes are used not nearly as much as the original. I tried rewatching the series again and that killed it for me. It just took me way out of the show. Also, Brotherhood seems to take the show much more serious and more mature.

Also about Berserk I really hope they do a better job then before. As much as i loved the series As epic and gory as the original was the story kind of fell apart at the end. I just feel that it's going to be much more censored and not nearly as graphic as the manga is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished watching all of Brotherhood yet. But I heard that it finished airing before the manga ended its run.

Does that mean it has another terrible geko ending like the original FMA?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2