• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files Shareholders' Report on Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu_Ematsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
About damn time. Razz
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm personally hoping that 4Kids goes under as soon as possible. There is, in my opinion, no room in this sort of industry for those who abide by their practices. Until such offenders are weeded out, the anime industry in America will go nowhere good.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I wish this had happened five years ago
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Why 5 years ago? That´s when they started turning around and giving us uncut anime. Since then we´ve gotten offical subs of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D´s, Sonic X and we would´ve had the original Yu-Gi-Oh! too had it not been for the issue with Yugi´s Japanese VA. Plus they´ve also given us Toonzaki, which has grown to be one of the biggest collection of streaming anime found on the Internet, probably only second to Crunchyroll.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Why 5 years ago? That´s when they started turning around and giving us uncut anime. Since then we´ve gotten offical subs of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D´s, Sonic X and we would´ve had the original Yu-Gi-Oh! too had it not been for the issue with Yugi´s Japanese VA. Plus they´ve also given us Toonzaki, which has grown to be one of the biggest collection of streaming anime found on the Internet, probably only second to Crunchyroll.

Uncut releases? What uncut releases? As to why 5 years ago, that's when I still had an interest in any of their series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
we would´ve had the original Yu-Gi-Oh! too had it not been for the issue with Yugi´s Japanese VA. .

Really? What kind of issue of issue did he have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Chapter 11 means they still plan to function as a company. Though I'm sure a good chunk of ignorant ANN readers will proclaim the end of 4Kids Entertainment. Chapter 7 is the only time they can go "celebrate".

Sweetmusic_01 wrote:
D Dubbs wrote:
we would´ve had the original Yu-Gi-Oh! too had it not been for the issue with Yugi´s Japanese VA. .

Really? What kind of issue of issue did he have?

The voice actor for Bakura has been rumored to not have given approval.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So I guess basically this means 4Kids is denying everything then. Maybe that thing about a ten days notice is true but I don't think that makes much of a difference in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm personally hoping that 4Kids goes under as soon as possible. There is, in my opinion, no room in this sort of industry for those who abide by their practices. Until such offenders are weeded out, the anime industry in America will go nowhere good.

Agreed.

I'm just hesitant to cry for their blood when FUNi's good name is dragged into this whole mess. If they can be cleared of any involvement and 4Kids is still held responsible at the end of the day, that'd be the ideal outcome in my book.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I like that 4Kids are outraged (outraged, I say!) that TV-Tokyo and Nihon TV are daring to sue them ... even though TV-Tokyo and Nihon TV own the series. :'D
chocoburger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm really sick of people wanting 4Kids to go under.

There are two problems with losing for 4Kids:
1) We lose yet another American licensing company. Maybe they're not the best one out there, but their "lame" dubs (I like them enough) at least bring people into the fandom. And not a lot of anime gets licensed in the first place, and they're not some small, barely-known company, so losing them would have a ripple effect on the industry.

2) There are people who work for 4Kids who have nothing to do with "ruining" your precious anime. If the company goes under, they lose their paychecks, and that's not good news for anyone. Our economy is still bad, you know. It's kinda selfish being more interested in your entertainment than their quality of life. Someone said this in the last lawsuit post, and I'm going to echo it: How would like it if someone wished you'd lose your job?

I've said my piece. Many of you will disagree with me, and I don't care.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well said chocoburger.
Completely agree with you.
However, like all businesses, if the higher-ups have been trying to rip-off the license holder, which wouldn't shock me knowing their situation, then unfortunately the whole company of 4KIDS will feel the damages, including employees.
Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding though.
I know the Japanese can be rather stuborn since a large chunk of their profits can come from foreign export, so it could just be them looking for money they think they are owed but actually aren't...
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
4kids has a pretty weak case, but yeah, let them fight for their survival.

I just hope this whole mess can be cleared up with so Zexal can be dubbed. The Janime thread is still waiting to be opened ...
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:

1) We lose yet another American licensing company. Maybe they're not the best one out there, but their "lame" dubs (I like them enough) at least bring people into the fandom. And not a lot of anime gets licensed in the first place, and they're not some small, barely-known company, so losing them would have a ripple effect on the industry.

2) There are people who work for 4Kids who have nothing to do with "ruining" your precious anime. If the company goes under, they lose their paychecks, and that's not good news for anyone. Our economy is still bad, you know. It's kinda selfish being more interested in your entertainment than their quality of life. Someone said this in the last lawsuit post, and I'm going to echo it: How would like it if someone wished you'd lose your job?

Agreeing with this statement. I enjoyed Yu-gi-oh! back in the day. Now, granted I was less than thrilled with the edits for One piece, they were doing what they were told. Now that this issue has occured, a chunk of the community has been embracing this whole Schadenfreude attitude. You have the right to not like a company but you understand that this issue not only affects people that are employed but the fans who actually enjoy the properties the company has licensed, and maybe affect other companies in terms of Japanese companies questioning their reputation which may make it harder for US companies to license new properties.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:

I don't disagree with you but I don't agree either. (And yes, people have wished that I lose my job and had done so to my face multiple times but that's another rant for another day.) It just seems that 4KIDS are only licensing anime that they know will make them lots of money and not caring about quality. I mean, even though there are some people who dislike the FUNi English dubs, most of the time, they do a pretty good job from it because they've taken the time to listen to fans and what they want.

Granted, it's the higher ups who are doing all this madness and whose greed essentially got themselves into this mess. And yeah, the anime that 4KIDS does license are for kids - but it doesn't mean that they can just make unnecessary edits in order to "protect" the children (although, doesn't it take more money to edit than to leave it unedited?) and the only reason why 4KIDS did started to release uncut DVDS (even if they had to essentially breach a contract) was because they finally realized they could make a profit off of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4