• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Is this bootleg store legit?] ...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been already asked, but my friend swears by [bootleg store -C]'s offers.

I want to know if the merchandise is legit. I want the Fushigi Yugi Boxsets, and the price for the pioneer (geneon) release is astronomical.

Does anyone know if they are legit?

Thanks, Anime cry

[EDIT - No, their 'imports' are all illegal. -C]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
They seem to be selling a mix of bootleges and legit. As to if the fushigi yugi boxset is real... it depends. All the ones that say "import" are pretty much a sure bet to being bootlege. The prices to the non-import boxsets look about right.

And all those cds they have... HAVE to be bootlege.

:O They stole my Loki summary!
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible that some are the english release for other regions and only seem like bootleg? (Cannot you tell I am looking for a leg to stand on because their prices are low?).

I'll buy my CDs from eBay credible vendors.

I just don't want to pay $160 for one season of FY when I payed $45.00 US for one season of Ceres: Celestial Legend.
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Allright, anything labled MI is a bootleg disc ripped from either DVD or VHS. The subtitles are ripped from the US Region 1 Domestic sets and remastered on the discs.

As for the other versions, I am not sure yet - they could be the UK release, which I am not familiar with (Don't even know if they exist). But that would be surprising for the price because things tend to be much more expensive in Europe than the States.

If anyone has more info, please let me know. Thanks, tt
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Duh! This is already in the sticky - I am a slow learner yet again.

Nevermind. Carry on.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If it's the UK release, and it's cheaper than the US release, it's HIGHLY unlikely it's legit.

Basically when looking for bootleges, see if the region coding is zero. It it's for all regions, it's 90% of the time a bootlege. I do not see a single import dvd on that site that isn't a bootlege.

What region is your ceres boxset? If you got it at that price, the WHOLE season, I'd say you more than likely have a bootlege.

Fushigi Yuugi is an extremly large series, and you will not find a new boxset of any of the seasons for under 100 bucks unless it's used. Pioneer has it at a highprice, and usually if the price is too good to be true, it is. Those fushigi yuugi boxsets on there for seasons 1 and two under 100 bucks that say import are all bootleges.
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I mispoke. I don't have the Ceres Boxset - it was the first collection. I bought it new from amazon- I know for a fact it is not bootleg.

As for region coding, I went around reading, and it's safe to assume that any and all multi-region discs are bootleg. I wish there was a cheaper way to get my anime. I don't mind paying cash, but some prices seem like exploitation.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Though, if you're looking for the Fushigi Yugi series, Geneon is re-releasing them in individual volumes. So now we're not limited to paying $160-200 for one season. It kinda looks like the total release will be about $80 per season for a total of $160, but places like Deep Discount DVD might even be able to bring even that total down to around $120, not sure though as I haven't looked it up yet.
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I lookes there and they are cheaper at $140. If I wait for the 20% off sale, I think I buy the whole package at once to save.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1