• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wasted my time watching this anime show:_______________

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
What is it? Why?

I'm going to start first....I watched Serial Experiments Lain thinking that it's really that good and I was completely confused in the end. Everyone seems to like it but I just didn't get it. Simply, I wasn't really entertained at all.
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT; Put an actual reason. -TK]
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Lain is a much more complicated and complex show then what is on the surface of it. But I really don't understand the point of what your saying? Maybe go into a bit more detail and explain what it is you are trying to say. What Dont you understand what did you not think was good. I can understand it being confusing. Please try and elaborate on what it is that you are trying to say?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hell Girl: I thought it would go from A-B in some actual linear direction and the characters would develop. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Lain is a much more complicated and complex show then what is on the surface of it. But I really don't understand the point of what your saying? Maybe go into a bit more detail and explain what it is you are trying to say. What don't you understand what did you not think was good. I can understand it being confusing. Please try and elaborate on what it is that you are trying to say?

Maybe I need to add more words...
I was completely confused in the end...(why is it that it has gotten rave reviews?) Iwasn't confused of the plot.

i thought it was dry all throughout....i just couldn't relate at all to any of the characters...i was like "huh?" in the end...If I were to choose, texhnolyze is much better; it has redeemed itself in the end that it managed to become so powerful in its message....
rojse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Lain is a much more complicated and complex show then what is on the surface of it. But I really don't understand the point of what your saying? Maybe go into a bit more detail and explain what it is you are trying to say. What don't you understand what did you not think was good. I can understand it being confusing. Please try and elaborate on what it is that you are trying to say?

I was completely confused in the end...(why is it that it has gotten rave reviews?) Iwasn't confused of the plot.

i thought it was dry all throughout....i just couldn't relate at all to any of the characters...i was like "huh?" in the end...If I were to choose, texhnolyze is much better; it has redeemed itself in the end that it managed to become so powerful in its message....

I like to think of Serial Experiments Lain as a puzzle - it requires a lot of effort to put all of the pieces together, and it's all seems rather chaotic before you start to put everything in order. But when you do, it's got a lot of deep themes there - self-identity, religious themes, and several other philosophical ideas, too. Admittedly, it's not a show that everyone will appreciate or like, but it's a personal favourite of mine.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Ragnarok the Animation, Star Ocean EX, two series I watched because I was obsessed with the game upon which they were based. I was aware of the reputation that traditional video game-based anime* tend to be bad, but I had little experience and craved more in the setting. The experience was painful, but my obsession with the game prevailed. Fortunately, I had wised up now and did not waste any time on Makai Senki Disgaea.

* Traditional does not include visual novels. Although many fans of the original work like to put down the likes of Tsukihime and When They Cry, the reaction of anime fans unfamiliar with the original work are almost entirely positive. Contrast with the reaction to the likes of Star Ocean EX, to which anime fans unfamiliar with the original had negative reactions.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
What particular facet of Serial Experiments Lain would you like to examine? Would you like discuss the use of indeterminacy as opposed to ambiguity in the narrative? Did the focus on defining a traditional gender role for Lain peak your interest? Perhaps, you prefer to analyze the narrative from a strictly postmodernist approach? Did you find the clash between ideological concerns of collectivist culture verse those of an individualistic ideology deeply fascinating?
Whatever approach you wish to begin your dissection of this cyberpunk masterpiece from is completely up to you, and I would love to hear your interpretive claims regarding many of the underlying themes present in Serial Experiments Lain.

I’m going to bed at the moment, so I’m not going to be able to give you an immediate response. However, if you wish to explore Serial Experiments Lain at greater length, I suggest reading Hellkorn’s posts under this thread ANN Book Club.
He/she does a wonderful job at breaking down Lain episode by episode. And while I did not agree with all of the interpretative claims, I still found it to be very astute and a well constructed take on the show.

Last edited by GeminiDS85 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with you, Serial Experiments Lain is over-rated.

I liked Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze. Both were original shows with a purpose, and they were both made by the guy who made Lain.

Lain however is a mess. It doesn't help that I found the dub to be pretty bland, same with the sub. Maybe it was a stylistic choice, but it was simply boring. Monotonous audio with a slow-paced show does not inspire me to watch it.

Also, the show irked me with its foolish extrapolation of future technology. It was made in the 90s, and supposed to be set in the future, yet their computers still use ISA slots. C'mon, even then the PCI interface was the norm.

The girl who starts off the series as a luddite is the key to the technology? Well, that's interesting. The plot elements of being able to abandon one's body and live in the internet, and the question of "if the internet is everywhere, and I can live in the internet, what is reality?" seemed reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell (another series that was overrated)

Anyhow, some shows I've wasted my time on:
-Jyu Oh Sei, aka Planet of the Beast King
-Tears to Tiara
-Zone of the Enders
-Gankutsuo (Speed Grapher was a far better Count of Monte Cristo)
-Galaxy Angel (Excel Saga was vastly superior)
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, Haibane Renmei is the show Yoshitoshi ABe had the most creative control over. For Serial Experiments Lain he's only credited as the original creator and a key animator, although he is generally given a good deal of recognition for the character design. I could be mistaken though, so if anybody has more information on his involvement with Lain, please fill me in.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
28076004505531 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

I like to think of Serial Experiments Lain as a puzzle - it requires a lot of effort to put all of the pieces together, and it's all seems rather chaotic before you start to put everything in order. But when you do, it's got a lot of deep themes there - self-identity, religious themes, and several other philosophical ideas, too. Admittedly, it's not a show that everyone will appreciate or like, but it's a personal favourite of mine.

I couldn't say it better myself. This is a show that is not made for everyone. Ever since I had seen this anime there has never been any show be it TV or movie actually question the meaning of life and challenge me about real things that can affect you personally.

This is an anime that really rewards you for understanding the meaning and the meaning behinds everything else. Nothing in this anime is really explained on the surface to you but it is subtle and hidden as well.

Also at the time this anime got a lot of praise from a crowd at the time where there was an older audience watching a lot more anime then there is now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ever since I had seen this anime there has never been any show be it TV or movie actually question the meaning of life and challenge me about real things that can affect you personally.

Really? I find that hard to believe, since Texhnolyze questions the "meaning of life" and so do many other shows.

Quote:
This is an anime that really rewards you for understanding the meaning and the meaning behinds everything else.

I generally enjoy shows like that, however there was just nothing to draw me into this show. The characters were bland, and their interactions with each other were inorganic & awkward. I don't accept the Bear Suit explanation as it doesn't cover conversations not involving Lain, all of which had the same problem.

Quote:
Nothing in this anime is really explained on the surface to you but it is subtle and hidden as well.

I could see that for Texhnolyze & Ergo Proxy, say, but not for Lain. The overall plot was apparent (and a tad illogical), and some of the things that are supposed to be "subtle and hidden" kinda fell flat to me. Namely the "bloody shadows" that represent the pervasiveness of the internet.

Also, the cheap animation brought the show down. Watching a show where a great many scenes involve simply zooming in & panning on a still shot ad infinitum is tedious.

Quote:
Also at the time this anime got a lot of praise from a crowd at the time where there was an older audience watching a lot more anime then there is now.

Cowboy Bebop got a lot of praise as well, during that time period, and while it may condemn my ethos, I felt it was highly overrated as well. IMO Lain falls into that same boat.
gundam83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Pilot candidate-lame characters,lame story by the 2nd episode I couldn't take it no more Sad
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Can anyone guess what I'm about to say? Ah, come on! It's not like I haven't repeated it 1000 times already!

It's Aria! Ha! You thought I was going to say Suzuka, didn't you?

The title says wasted time, and I certainly waste time with this series because of its 52 episodes. I love this series to death and it comes in handy on cold, wintry days as well as weekends where rain seems to be in the forecast.

I will also waste time with Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Kamichu, Ghost Hunt, Ouran High School Host Club, and School Rumble, just to name a few re-watches I do in order to pass the time (sometimes waiting for new orders to come in).

These are my favorite in the re-watch category because, for some inexplicable reason, I can't get tired of them despite having the dialogue nearly memorized.

I'm sure one day in the future will provide me titles to replace these, but until this day comes.... *tosses in Lucky Star. Oooh, that opening is just so fun to watch!
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
gundam83 wrote:
Pilot candidate-lame characters,lame story by the 2nd episode I couldn't take it no more Sad

Rofl. Oh man, dude, that series takes me WAAAY back. Anime hyper Anime hyper Seriously, the first time I watched that, it was ironically when I was in my "B-Movie stage", when I would scout badmovies.org for the latest and greatest in definitely-not-the-greatest entertainment around. So for me, Pilot Candidate was pure gold-plated shit. I loved it. But, I get the feeling if I were to even watch five minutes of it today, I'd puke out my intestines.

But back on topic. Lain I like to consider on a similar level with GITS. It's controlling aspect is arguably the most alienating as well. With GITS, one would expect tons of police action, but it ended up being 70% political thriller. If you can enjoy and appreciate that sort of control, it's absolute gold. If not, then it's very difficult to be entertained by it. Lain, in a similar sense, is a bit too...cerebral, to say the least.

Also, TC....off topic, but what exactly is your...user...number(?) supposed to, I dunno, symbolize?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4