• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fushigi Yugi Boxsets vs. Individual Release

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I wanted to know if anyone at ANN would know why the FY series boxsets are so costly (or if the MSRP is to be expected).

And would you or anyone recommend purchasing them individually rather than the boxsets?

And could it be that once the individual DVDs are released, they will lower the price of the domestic (Region 1) release?

Thanks, tt
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know, but the individual DVD's have the same episode count per DVD as the boxset did (boxset had a 7, 6, 7, 6 episode count, same with each individual DVD)

I unfortunately bought a import FY boxset of the 2 seasons and the OVA's. However they used Geneon's subs and dubs, so that wasn't bad. However, I do intend on buying the individual DVD's

Oh, and each DVD are $20 (or $25) each. 8 DVD's for the 2 seasons, and 4 for the OVA's. That's 12x20=$240 (or $300)

As for the cost of the boxsets, (~$120 for each of the 4 boxsets = $480+tax) I wouldn't have any clue as to why they are so expensive.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot!

The math is appreciated!
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Really now, paying full retail for something that old is rare. You can find the Fushigi Yugi box sets on ebay for about $80 each. Be sure to stay away from the "Perfect Collection" boxsets. They're bootlegs.

80+80+35=195

now that's cheap! I paid almost full price for my sets years ago....sigh
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't trust eBay enough to buy anime from there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
techno_techie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Both of y'all have very good suggestions. I like eBay, but I am a wary consumer: I think I could find legitimate (If I spelled that wrong, oops) if I read the people's comments. I only buy from established sellers (with regards to anime).

Thanks for the pointers. I am still trying to figure out why the list price is so expensive though! Just my curiousity, I guess.

Thanks again.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
techno:
Quote:
Hey, I wanted to know if anyone at ANN would know why the FY series boxsets are so costly (or if the MSRP is to be expected).

Because Geneon will price-gouge whenever they get the chance.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Try this, but be quick about it if you want to get it, there's only a day left Shocked.

I'll try to find some other deals for you too if I have some time. Wink
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
techno_techie wrote:
Both of y'all have very good suggestions. I like eBay, but I am a wary consumer: I think I could find legitimate (If I spelled that wrong, oops) if I read the people's comments. I only buy from established sellers (with regards to anime).

Thanks for the pointers. I am still trying to figure out why the list price is so expensive though! Just my curiousity, I guess.

Thanks again.

Hate to break it to you bust most anime established seller are bootleg serll. Many bootleg are sold off ebay every day and it's not uncommon for a hk seller and american bootleg sellerto have over 1000 good feedback.

Bootleg will usually come in "gate fold" cases. That's an easy sign to spot bootleg. There are good seller on ebay, lately a lot of ADV R1 title are selling really cheap. Bandai R1 though are still expensive as hell.

Oh yea if u get a bootleg, make sure to complain to ebay. They'll set up an investigation and stuff. It might not do much though, but doing so will let the seller know. Most seller still think they're "import".
techno_techie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Tony K. And I will try to avoid the auction block, darkhunter; I know there are those out there selling bootlegs - I'll be sure to ask around and check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1