• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wasted my time watching this anime show:_______________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head:

.hack//sign
Shadow Skill
Gatekeepers
Speed Grapher
Casshern Sins

Incidently, except for Casshern Sins and Speed Grapher, those are a few of the only anime I've seen from start to finish on fansubs that I did not end up buying legally when they came on DVD later. They were just that bad.

And this isn't counting any of the "read the rest of the manga if you want an ending!" series, which practically deserves a whole topic in of itself.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei

I understand there is supposed to be some deep meanings in there but I guess I could not appreciate it.

I've never considered myself the kind of person that constantly requires explosions and laser beams for entertainment; but come on! The highlight of each episode was typically something like the main character's trip to the store! I mean, get in an argument, give me something to keep me interested!
Jen526

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I consider my biggest waste of time to have been Tokyo Majin. It was a series that seemed like it had some limited potential in the first couple episodes, and never went anywhere. After each volume, I had that "not sure I want to keep watching this" vibe, but somehow I kept thinking it was right on the cusp of doing something interesting.

As I was actually watching the final volume, every episode was just more and more of a sinking "why did I keep watching this?!?" feeling, but by then, I was also into "Well, might as well finish it now that it's here." Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
thanks everyone for your opinions.

those people who shared their views about "lain" I appreciate it. I know that our reasons whether to like an anime show or not is pretty subjective. I'm not gonna argue with those who don't share my own views. Your recommendations are pretty enticing as to how to approach "lain" from a specific perspective. However, I couldn't make anymore justification as to why I felt like I wasted my time watching "lain" apart from I just didn't enjoy it even from the very first moment I laid my eyes on that girl.

The symbolic nature of the show didn't really surface in my head right away not until I began thinking about it as how other people have approached it. The thing is, I didn't "feel" anything from that show or to be more specific, I didn't "feel" compelled to go deep into what those symbols really stand for. When I watch anime, I want to see the superficial intention of the show, then if I enjoy it, I would start thinking more in-depth about it.

There are shows like Haibane Renmei that would strike you right away like you've been hit by a ball in the head. Because you somehow see yourself in one of the characters even if they're physically different. There is human aspect in it that's shown differently in "lain". You feel some kind of emotion that brings you deep into the core of the show (Haibane) and I think that's enough to get you pulled in, to know more about it. I mean, why do I have to look for these symbols and decipher them. They just take away every chance of enjoyment I might have had. However if in the end it's mind-blowing then it's a different story and "lain" certainly didn't leave such impression on me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I have to agree with you, Serial Experiments Lain is over-rated.

I liked Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze. Both were original shows with a purpose, and they were both made by the guy who made Lain.

Lain however is a mess. It doesn't help that I found the dub to be pretty bland, same with the sub. Maybe it was a stylistic choice, but it was simply boring. Monotonous audio with a slow-paced show does not inspire me to watch it.

Also, the show irked me with its foolish extrapolation of future technology. It was made in the 90s, and supposed to be set in the future, yet their computers still use ISA slots. C'mon, even then the PCI interface was the norm.

The girl who starts off the series as a luddite is the key to the technology? Well, that's interesting. The plot elements of being able to abandon one's body and live in the internet, and the question of "if the internet is everywhere, and I can live in the internet, what is reality?" seemed reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell (another series that was overrated)

Anyhow, some shows I've wasted my time on:
-Jyu Oh Sei, aka Planet of the Beast King
-Tears to Tiara
-Zone of the Enders
-Gankutsuo (Speed Grapher was a far better Count of Monte Cristo)
-Galaxy Angel (Excel Saga was vastly superior)

I agree with you on the majority of what you said, except for your opinion about "Gankutsuou". I think it's really good except for the visual aspect of it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Jen526 wrote:
After each volume, I had that "not sure I want to keep watching this" vibe, but somehow I kept thinking it was right on the cusp of doing something interesting.

My god, that is the worst feeling ever, isn't it? At least with "I don't want to watch this anymore", you have a decision made, I hate it when things tease you with potential every volume then don't act on it and keep you watching it in hopes something happens when it never does. I've not seen Tokyo Majin (though you've convinced me not to, so just know that you saved someone the pain), but that was exactly what Gilgamesh did to me. Somehow I find the promise of potential more infuriating then just being able to tell the creators gave up at some point (just look at Garzey's Wing which is totally worth viewing for the dub alone, but at least you can tell no one involved gave much of a damn like 20 seconds in)

Another waste of my time was Hell Girl, I wasn't necessarily expecting it to go anywhere, I got the impression it was episodic 2 eps in, but I was expecting variety. It felt to me like I was watching the same episode 20 times, I might as have just watched Endless Eight, at least that 8 episodes and not an entire 26 episode series. I've seen episodic done well too, just look at Mushi-shi, one single concept, tons of variety, so no, I don't think I was asking too much of Hell Girl to have variety and be entertaining.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain. Not that the show's bad, I just couldn't connect with the characters, which usually turns me off a show quick.[/b]
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

And this isn't counting any of the "read the rest of the manga if you want an ending!" series, which practically deserves a whole topic in of itself.

Well...if it makes it any better, some of those scenarios have led me to some damn fine manga, with me citing Tenjho Tenge and Shin Angyo Onshi at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
who thinks "fushigi yuugi" is a waste of time?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Basilisk-Why? Well mostly my dislike for this comes from mixed feelings. spoiler[I really liked the action and the characters which were so good they kept me watching a sub genre I usually despise, the romantic tragedy. I feel my time is wasted when time is spent developing good characters who's only point of existence is to die for a pointless cause and make me feel rotten when they twist the knife. Doubly so when a good romance doesn't end well.]

Chrono Crusade-This show just totally drops the ball completely at the end. spoiler[The bad guy wins, the main character's time runs out and they die, and essentially the show ended up being one big unfinished and depressing mess.]

Gantz- spoiler[A nihilistic show that's basically all sex and violence with no substance or elements to lighten it's overly dour mood and provide a measure of hope. It's characters are very weak and unlikable with the exception of a few who are of course killed off. Finally, it's totally unfinished, not giving us any background on Gantz, and the ending makes no sense.]

Gilgamesh-Same problems and Gantz only even more confusing and depressing.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade- spoiler[Again I really dislike wasted character potential. When so much of the movie is spent on changing the character I feel really cheated when he just reverts back and shoots the girl at the end.]

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom- spoiler[I liked this series a lot, but then the last few minutes of the last episode happened. Having the main character just randomly get shot and die felt so cheap and at odds with the theme of the show.]

Texhnolyze- spoiler[I have a problem with series that kill off too many characters. Character death is better in smaller more meaningful doses. If it's done too much, people grow numb to it and it loses it's impact. I also don't get the Japanese fascination with killing off entire casts and in cases like this all of humanity.]
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Magikano: At first I liked this show, cause it had cute girls and an interesting story. But then the ending totally ruined the experience.

Maburaho: Again the cute girls, and even the guy (who was not as annoying as some other guys in this genre). But the plot got kind of lame at the end.

Green Green: This was an cute show, but not too much to keep interest (besides the girls).

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World: This looked great, and the characters were interesting. But the story/plot was kind of dull & lame IMO.

Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden: Now the first season of this show is just about perfect (IMO), the second season (especially the end) just flat out sucks.

Chrono Crusade: I loved this show, until the whole ending debacle. What more could be said about this ending.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Chrono Crusade: I loved this show, until the whole ending debacle. What more could be said about this ending.

The ending was the best part. If there had been some cheesiness where good prevails and everyone lives happily ever after, the show would have been swill.

If they had followed the manga and made Aion and all the other demons into space aliens, I would have had died laughing...and then wept over the lost potential.

As it stands, the show had some nice dark humor to it. Also, spoiler[Aion wasn't truly a cut-and-dry villain. Was he truly wrong to want to be his own man, free from oppression? Could you not identify with wanting to escape from under the iron fist of tyranny? "Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven"...but Aion was still a servant, as were all the demons, whilst in hell.]

I'm really starting to see that The Internet prefers a cut and dry "hero versus villain" show, where the heroes are beyond reproach and the villains are irredeemable evil souls. No moral ambiguity for you, no having to contemplate whether or not the "good" faction truly is.

While I'm stirring the pot, I'll put in a show that I really felt let down on, and angry that I wasted my time on it. I'm sure I'll get myopic flak over this, so I'll justify it in the spoiler.

Eden of the East. Horrible.

spoiler[Endgame: Sequester a bunch of poor naked dudes in a 3rd world country for months, then recall them when you need a "brainstorming session". To motivate this horde to churn up those ideas, put them under threat of certain death (in a mall targeted by a missile), and tell them that the only way they can save themselves is to come up with ideas to stop the missiles. When all is said and done, the best "idea" anyone had was the obvious--use the "magic cellphone" to shoot down the incoming missiles with a counter-missile called Deus Ex Machina.

Then, say that with a few thousand US dollars a person can be crowned "prince of the world", and then try and spin the show into a horribly blatant allegory that "if only the NEETs would get off their ass and back into society, Japan could be saved."
]

Give me Chrono Crusade over that ANY day. A far more intelligible plot that wasn't driven by such a cheap element as a "magic cellphone" that can do the impossible for piddling amounts of cash. Indeed, this show was basically a fantasy show--a soft sci-fi show so soft, that it crosses into fantasy. Like murder princess, another show I wasted time on.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
All of Sailor Moon.

I wound up watching the entire show only because a girl I was seeing at the time wanted me to watch it with her.

I was always turned off by the main character, Usagi Tsukino's stupidity and could never get into the show because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
All of Sailor Moon.

I wound up watching the entire show only because a girl I was seeing at the time wanted me to watch it with her.

I was always turned off by the main character, Usagi Tsukino's stupidity and could never get into the show because of it.

that was the funniest comment i've read about Sailormoon....
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
If you were forced to watch all of Sailor Moon and couldn't get into it, that had to be torture, especially being subjected to the whole thing in Japanese.

Considering why you were forced to watch it, and how freaking LONG the whole franchise is, and weren't able to get into it, well I just hope you got into something else Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4