• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Maria Holic Alive

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So a nice legal stream through The Anime Network, yes? *hopes*
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I can only assume the first series sold well enough for them to grab the second one!
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
So a nice legal stream through The Anime Network, yes? *hopes*

Not entirely sure at this point, to be honest, but you'll know as soon as we do Smile They *do* have the digital rights, they just haven't told us exactly what they're doing with 'em.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Since they licensed and released the first series, this is hardly a surprise. I would assume that we'll see it pop up on the online version of Anime Network later this week. (It premieres on Thursday.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since they licensed and released the first series, this is hardly a surprise. I would assume that we'll see it pop up on the online version of Anime Network later this week. (It premieres on Thursday.)

Sure enough, TAN just issued its announcement. Simulcast starts Sunday; article updated to reflect the new info. Yay!
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The series has not even aired in Japan, at this point, and Sentai has already licensed it. These guys sure know how to make a statement with these before-it-airs-in-Japan licenses.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly too surprised that they picked this up. Probably won't be watching the simucast though - I'll just wait a few months for them to post it on TANoD like they did with Maid-Sama!.

Besides, it'll give me a chance to pick up the DVD set and finish watching the last few episodes I missed of the first series. XP
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
At first I didn't think I would enjoy the first series of Maria-holic, and it certainly generated some heated discussions on Anime Network's forums (among others). But after I watched a few episodes I really found myself enjoying, despite it forays into the offensive.

I'm glad to see Sentai picking it up so quickly, so I guess that means season one did well. Maybe it did well enough that we might get a dub someday. Wink This is a simulcast I will definitely follow.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
This is great <3

I was hoping it would get picked up for a legal stream. This is the one show this season I really want to watch. I love Maria+Holic and the stuff season 2 is covering happens to be some of the better parts of the manga compared to season 1.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

While licensing the series itself was no real surprise, the simulcast was a surprise to me, for the following reasons:

1. While they licensed To Love-Ru, they not only did not simulcast Motto To Love-Ru, but still have not licensed it.

2. It had over a year since anyone had simulcast a SHAFT-produced anime.

3. Up until now, each of their simulcasts had fit the action+ecchi formula (although Infinite Stratos was notably light in the latter compared to previous TAN simulcasts).

So much for my expectations they would simulcast Hidan no Aria...unless they break yet another precedent and do two simulcasts.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Good, good. In retrospect this certainly isn't surprising, although the DVD release is great to hear about anyway.
ADiSiNS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, good timing. I was wondering whether or not I should purchase the Maria†Holic DVDs, fearing that I won't be able to get the Alive DVDs due to licensing. Although they haven't formally announced DVDs, this shows hope.

Now if only someone picked up Madoka already...
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first season and while I didn't expect them to simulcast it I was betting on Sentai licensing the show at some point. It's nice that we get the simulcast while we wait for the DVD(and hopefully the blu-ray) which probably isn't that far away when you consider how quickly Sentai tends to put stuff out. Although being licensed so soon may make it take a bit longer to release.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
So I assume the first season sold well? Hopefully they're just waiting for the Japanese BD box be out for a while before announcing their dub and BD release Very Happy

I don't know what it is about Texas, but they're so good at dubbing comedies, and Maria Holic has great dub potential in their hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So I assume the first season sold well? Hopefully they're just waiting for the Japanese BD box be out for a while before announcing their dub and BD release Very Happy

I don't know what it is about Texas, but they're so good at dubbing comedies, and Maria Holic has great dub potential in their hands.

A Seraphrim dub would be nice. But considering the fact that Maria-Holic is known for playing with homophobia spoiler[ Though the Matsurika trap h doujins are really good, even though I'm not until Yaoi at all.]

A dub would probably cause a bit of controversity. Therefore it wouldn't be very wise to dub this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2