• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Still Uncertain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
It sounds like he's interested in making the film but can't find anyone willing to back it. The big problem is that the Hollywood approach just doesn't work for anime. It is possible to take western stories like Blade Runner and give them a similar look but they loose the feel when they try to adapt eastern stories.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
He looks old enough to play Jet in that interview. Or older, actually. He should play one of those 3 guys that always pop up talking about the olden days digging the gates and what not.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
[quote="Romuska"]Hollywood + Asian anything = The Last Airbender, Akira's Neo Manhattan, a censored version of Kung Fu Hustle, ethnic cleansing for the movie "21", Aeon Flux, Dragon Ball Evolution, censored Jackie Chan Movies, The Lion King controversy.[/quote

Bebop's as western as it gets. You can't white wash something that's already white. It's about a bunch of non-Asians flying around in their spaceship catching space criminals.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Make it a syfy original movie.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
You went away and left me long time ago,
and now you're knocking on my door!
I hear you knocking, but you can't come in.
I hear you knocking.
Go back where you been!

Laughing
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
And lets keep that door closed and locked, yah?
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
I love how everyone is so quick to bash it even before it has not begun production. Hollywood has some really good movies out there, and Cowboy Bebop really plays into the American ballpark in terms of style. You never know... if it actually gets a big budget then it might turn out to be good. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic *shrug*

If you're being too optimistic, than I guess I am too.
I'm just disappointed that anime fans act so negative towards series getting live-action film adaptations in the US, especially since most of the ones in Japan are awful. Give Hollywood a chance, jeez. Confused
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I was looking forward to this one. When it was first announced I was as pissed as everyone else here, but when I heard Keanu Reeves was involved, being an anime fan I started to have hope, even though I'm not a Keanu fan. Then when the writer said he's never seen the show, I was disappointed, but he said he's seen it 3 times now and loves it, that shows dedication towards it again. Also, the Japanese studio has to allow it in order for it to come out, so it's not like they can change it completely even if they wanted to.

Here's hoping to see it does come out eventually.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
well sometimes it takes a while for the cost of technology to comedown or be created for a movie to be made. I was at a lecture with the producer from Avatar that that's basically one of the things he said about how tech is evolving in the entertainment industry. Hopefully buy the time the cost of actually producing that script becomes a reality Reves will be to old to play Spike. Hell he's starting to look long in the tooth during that interview already.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Lets hope no one make this movie
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Live action flicks have been bland since the first talkie. A person can count on both hands with fingers missing the number of live action movies from Hollywood that are worthy of remembrance on a decade by decade basis. Talent is almost extinct. Criterion Collection has managed to ferret out possibilities worldwide as far as live action is concerned but if you consider those tallies against everything ever put on film I don't envision a Keanu Reeves' project ever becoming a part of our collective psyche re Cowboy Bebop.

I hope Cowboy Bebop never gets produced as a live action flick. Your imagination is a better production company than any movie concern currently still in business. There might be an indie producer out there the world is waiting for but I suspect even that wunderkund has yet to be born on this planet. To paraphase a Beatles lyric: Let it Be.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I may be alone in this but.... May this movie never happen. May Keanu Reeves not be allowed to rape my childhood in the same way that the producers of Dragonball Evolution did.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Wait a second, we don't actually need a Cowboy Bebop movie.

Well, by "we," do you mean anime fans or the general populace? From your description of Human Target, it seems the latter. I'd still suffice that neither Cowboy Bebop nor Human Target are familiar to the majority of the populace.

Echo_City wrote:

(I still contend that Firefly was nothing like CB--it was better IMO.)

Firefly is supposed to be Outlaw Star! Wink

Leon Evolon wrote:
I love how everyone is so quick to bash it even before it has not begun production. Hollywood has some really good movies out there, and Cowboy Bebop really plays into the American ballpark in terms of style. You never know... if it actually gets a big budget then it might turn out to be good. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic *shrug*

Anime fans always say to give their anime a chance before deciding, but they don't practice what they preach. Razz

captainbanana wrote:
I may be alone in this but.... May this movie never happen. May Keanu Reeves not be allowed to rape my childhood in the same way that the producers of Dragonball Evolution did.

Oh please, DB:E didn't rape the childhood of DBZ fanatics. Most of them didn't even see DB:E! Rolling Eyes
(They just treat it like it never happened.)

That's such an overused lingo. Did the awful live-action Battleship Yamato rape the childhood of us who saw the original anime? Do the Michael Bay Transformers continue to rape the childhood of G1 fans? Death Note? Gantz? No, we just passed on it and make fun. Laughing
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Make it a syfy original movie.

Doesn't have some genetically mutated genocidal animal (Ein doesn't count), or enough wooden acting roles.

enurtsol wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

(I still contend that Firefly was nothing like CB--it was better IMO.)

Firefly is supposed to be Outlaw Star! Wink

Firefly doesn't have a catgirl.....or an obligatory Onsen/Beach episode.

enurtsol wrote:
Do the Michael Bay Transformers continue to rape the childhood of G1 fans?

Um, YES. How the hell can you have a movie where your title characters are regulated in the background?

TRANSFORMERS: Staring a cast of bland cookie-cutter wooden actors with little to no talent!!

Guest starring the Transformers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4