• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Still Uncertain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
well sometimes it takes a while for the cost of technology to comedown or be created for a movie to be made. I was at a lecture with the producer from Avatar that that's basically one of the things he said about how tech is evolving in the entertainment industry. Hopefully buy the time the cost of actually producing that script becomes a reality Reves will be to old to play Spike. Hell he's starting to look long in the tooth during that interview already.

The special effects technology for a Cowboy Bebop movie has existed since the 80's. If you count Star Wars, you could say the 70's. The financial cost is not going to get any lower with time.

Keanu Reeves' comments sound pretty disheartening. Sounds like there is a better chance of seeing Battle Angel Alita coming out several years from now since James Cameron probably could pay for it out of his own pocket, than Keanu Reeves panhandling unsuccessful for Cowboy Bebop.

But all is not lost, if Keanu Reeves really loves the series and keeps pushing it, some studio might catch the bug too. Hell, they finished filming for the John Carter of Mars movie, and that had to come a long way too.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Jeez. Can't people come up with something original instead of ripping off the great works of the past? For Pete's sake, leave poor Cowboy Beebop alone! It certainly never did anything to deserve having Keanu Reeves playing the role of Spike, let alone being touched by the dirty hands of Hollywood.

Please let this idea of creating a live-action Cowboy Beebop die.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
yamiangie wrote:
well sometimes it takes a while for the cost of technology to comedown or be created for a movie to be made. I was at a lecture with the producer from Avatar that that's basically one of the things he said about how tech is evolving in the entertainment industry. Hopefully buy the time the cost of actually producing that script becomes a reality Reves will be to old to play Spike. Hell he's starting to look long in the tooth during that interview already.

The special effects technology for a Cowboy Bebop movie has existed since the 80's. If you count Star Wars, you could say the 70's. The financial cost is not going to get any lower with time.

Keanu Reeves' comments sound pretty disheartening. Sounds like there is a better chance of seeing Battle Angel Alita coming out several years from now since James Cameron probably could pay for it out of his own pocket, than Keanu Reeves panhandling unsuccessful for Cowboy Bebop.

But all is not lost, if Keanu Reeves really loves the series and keeps pushing it, some studio might catch the bug too. Hell, they finished filming for the John Carter of Mars movie, and that had to come a long way too.

then what the hell makes this script so expensive? This is what's really been bugging me about the stupid movie it's terraformed mars not fracking pandora.
You know I don't even think he's the right guy to be pushing this script. they need to shelf it as this point and dust if off in another half a decade if you ask me.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Firefly is supposed to be Outlaw Star!

Firefly had some superficial resemblance to OS, like the shot in the real first episode (and the trailers) with Summer Glau being found hidden in a large suitcase, ala Melfina.

I'd say that Firefly transcended both shows, though the OS comparison is better in my eyes as I enjoyed OS more than CB. CB gave me a show with an interesting twist on the cliches it employed, though ultimately the banal mafia "overarching plot" wasn't as fun as the quest for the Galactic Leyline.

Speaking of which, what would the plot of the CB movie be? Do they show Spike surviving, hooking up with Faye, and they keep on hunting bounties till they die? Maybe introduce some movie-only villain? Or will it be another storyline set between the beginning of CB and the mafia ending eps? (ie another Knocking on Heaven's Door) I just don't see much potential here, either way they're retelling the same story, with high risks of flopping.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Live action flicks have been bland since the first talkie.

I LOL'd. There are some good films from back then, but as a whole, the silent films aren't that great (IMO of course. Feel free to like what you like, but to down everything after that...geez). I can't even see a clip of Nosferatu for example, without bursting into hysterical laughter.

bemused Bohemian wrote:
Your imagination is a better production company than any movie concern currently still in business.

This part however, I can agree with. Movie companies need to make sure they're doing things right (or at least if it's wrong, do it well) before they crank out adaptions of even our own stuff, much less foreign stories. They've failed on a lot of homegrown stuff as of late, so...

Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Do the Michael Bay Transformers continue to rape the childhood of G1 fans?

Um, YES. How the hell can you have a movie where your title characters are regulated in the background?

TRANSFORMERS: Staring a cast of bland cookie-cutter wooden actors with little to no talent!!

Guest starring the Transformers

I'll agree that the first Transformers film could have done better on focusing on the bots, and...well...let's not even talk much about the second one if we can avoid it, but overall, the films were still not that bad. Transformers, like a lot of US comics, already has about fifty different canons. I don't recall any advertising pitches saying the films were an adaption of G1 itself, so why not just look upon it as another canon, one you don't like and can safely ignore?

And I LOL again at the insinuation of Shia LeBeof, one of the better young actors now, being called 'bland cookie-cutter wooden actor with no talent'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'll agree that the first Transformers film could have done better on focusing on the bots, and...well...let's not even talk much about the second one if we can avoid it, but overall, the films were still not that bad. Transformers, like a lot of US comics, already has about fifty different canons. I don't recall any advertising pitches saying the films were an adaption of G1 itself, so why not just look upon it as another canon, one you don't like and can safely ignore?

It doesn't even matter at this point whether or not the film should've appealed to G1 fans. The point is, a show/movie about the Transformers should place most of it's emphasis on THE TRANSFORMERS, with human characters only placed in sidekick/supporting roles or none at all. The movies haven't done that.

Again, how the hell can you have a movie, where the TITLE CHARACTERS are regulated as mere background characters while emphasis is put on human characters that either offer little to no value story wise, or are so contrived and hackeyed, that it's bordering on the verge of being unrealistic? ****, it's abit infuriating that Megan Fox's character is supposedly mechanically inclined, yet misidentifies an engine setup so blatantly bad it makes me look like I could build a Bugatti Veyron with some tinsnips and discarded soup cans.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The point is, a show/movie about the Transformers should place most of it's emphasis on THE TRANSFORMERS, with human characters only placed in sidekick/supporting roles or none at all. The movies haven't done that.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I want to see giant robots fighting when I see a Transformers movie. The giant robot fight should not be interrupted by a long scene of Megan Fox and Shia running a mile through an exploding desert town, nor should it be interrupted to showcase the ludicrous exhibit of a cluster of human marines actually holding their ground (no way!) against giant robots, using only small arms. Not to mention calling down an airstrike upon themselves.

Humans should be powerless against giant robots, it should be no contest. There's no way a human jet should be able to match a giant flying robot. They should take a note from DBZ wherein they show humans pitting their jets & ships against the Saiyans, and Nappa alone destroys them without breaking a sweat, putting humanity's fate into the hands of the other super-powered people alone.

Most importantly, just make the whole movie CG. Humans and CG still don't interact very well, and as CG is the only way to make such epically-scaled giant robot slugfests, let's stop holding ourselves back. Time to show the American Public that CG movies aren't just for kid-friendly sanitized movies.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I know a lotta people are raggin' on Keanu Reeves, but my understanding is that amongst Hollywood celebrities he's a rather humble and down-to-earth fellow. He takes the stage crews out to lunch, stops to help people whose car tires have blown, and the like. So despite any judgments against his acting, y'know, just keep in mind this is a human being we're talking about, and not necessarily another soulless money-grubbing Hollywood shill worth railing against for transgressions perceived or otherwise.

Also keep in mind, the Matrix took many cues from anime (The Wachowski brothers were fans of Ghost in the Shell), and that film wasn't awful, it was revolutionary. If the right chemistry exists a film like this could really be pulled off.

And if anything, a well-executed film-adaptation of Cowboy Bebop could do for anime what the recent Marvel films (Spiderman, Iron-Man, etc.) have done for comics. Not saying this will happen anytime soon given the atrocious track record (I know I'm not holding my breath), but wouldn't it be great if they pulled it off? Very Happy

If it's good we can rejoice, if it's bad well we can just chock it up to experience and ignore it. Dragonball:Evolution came out and it didn't ruin Dragonball for me. The only thing that will really tarnish a good series is our own individual perceptions, and that isn't dependent on whether the film adaptation sucks or not.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd wish they would knock off this idea entirely. But if the door doesn't open, you can either knock on wood or just stop knocking.

Remember, in life, there are some doors that should not be knocked on.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing against Keanu Reeves, compared to those other Hollywood people, he's not that bad. But a Cowboy Bebop movie? Cowboy Bebop is fine the way it is as a 26 episode anime series that is stellar and excellent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave Bebop be.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I honestly still can't wrap my head around the fact that this film would be too expensive to make. $500 million? Really!?

Not to keep bringing up Firefly, but Serenity's budget was only $39 million, and it looked plenty good enough to me. There's gotta be something else holding this production back. Maybe they're going after some really big name actors?
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It'll happen in due time. I hope it happens while Keanu can still do it, he seems like he'd make certain the series was adapted seriously, and Spike's character isn't that outward that you need some great acting. He just needs witty dialogue and be able to fight and Keanu Reeves indeed can fight.

Also not all anime adaptations have been bad. Speed Racer may have bombed, but it was truly excellent!

I don't know why the studio is so concerned about the cost. Bebop doesn't look that expensive to do as it takes place in locations that look real world enough and simply needs clever compositing work. I guess it depends on what's in the script... Maybe there was more emphasis on stuff happening in space, which would certainly bump up the cost... And particularly so since alll these sorts of films are being shot in 3-D and now moving into 48fps territory beginning with the Hobbit and then Avatar 2.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not to keep bringing up Firefly, but Serenity's budget was only $39 million...

I see your point, that it doesn't take half a billion dollars to make a spaceship in flight look good, but please don't mention Serenity...it didn't happen. I saw the movie when it came out, before seeing the show. That movie kept me from watching an awesome show for 5 years.
Quote:
Spike's character isn't that outward that you need some great acting. He just needs witty dialogue and be able to fight and Keanu Reeves indeed can fight.

But the fighting has to look real, and be real. No CG, no jerky camera cuts, no shaky camera action. Basically, it has to be fluid and easily followed by the viewer, as it was in Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop. I don't think Keanu is up to that task, but the only fighting I've seen him do was in The Matrix trilogy (which isn't good enough for Spike). American films have made their fight sequences horrendous in recent years, with camera cuts flashing so fast that you can't tell what is going on, and camera close ups so tight on fists & feet that the blows in these battles look like the legendary "disembodied punches" of Gundam fame. The Expendables is a prime example. I paid money to see that movie.

Spike has to have a capable martial artist as an actor, a fight choreographer who can actually write a fight without relying on cheap camera tricks to do his job for him, and a director with appreciation for fight sequences who realizes that viewers don't need "shaky cam" and other visual cues to realize that an action scene is supposed to be an action scene.

Oh, and NO 3d filming. I, for one, hate to watch 3d flicks, and I have yet to see a 2d version of a 3d movie that didn't look grainy. Even 2d Avatar looked grainy & blurred. If Jet Li is cast as Spike, fans need to take action. Spike don't use no wire-fu! Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Firefly is supposed to be Outlaw Star! Wink

Firefly doesn't have a catgirl.....or an obligatory Onsen/Beach episode. [/quote]
Nor are the protagonists bounty hunters; they're outlaws. But it does have a naked girl in a suitcase.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
At first I was against this idea, and then I became optimistic and got excited. Stop toying my with emotions, Keanu!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4