• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Still Uncertain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Also not all anime adaptations have been bad. Speed Racer may have bombed, but it was truly excellent!

May I ask if your partaked of any illegal drugs/abused drugs while watching the movie? The consumption of drugs might've skewed your opinions of the movie abit, because the movie is great if your hyped up on psychedelics a/or stimulants. Otherwise, sane people would've thought differently.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Firefly doesn't have a catgirl.....or an obligatory Onsen/Beach episode.

Nor are the protagonists bounty hunters; they're outlaws. But it does have a naked girl in a suitcase.

Not all of the Firefly characters are regarded as outlaws though. They also weren't looking for the Galactic Leyline either--Serenity didn't happen and/or Mr. Universe doesn't equate Wink--but it was still more similar to OS than to CB. Mal Reynolds was far closer to Gene than to Spike.
Quote:
the movie is great if your hyped up on psychedelics a/or stimulants.

What about good old fashioned booze? C2H6O-yeah!
(I never really thought of booze as a psychedelic drug)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

What's more interesting in that story is that he's doing 47 Ronin - that's a famous legend in Japan.

I wonder if people will complain. Laughing

Sunday Silence wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

(I still contend that Firefly was nothing like CB--it was better IMO.)

Firefly is supposed to be Outlaw Star! Wink

Firefly doesn't have a catgirl.....or an obligatory Onsen/Beach episode.

But then again, outside Japan, what does? Laughing

Sunday Silence wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Do the Michael Bay Transformers continue to rape the childhood of G1 fans?

Um, YES. How the hell can you have a movie where your title characters are regulated in the background?

TRANSFORMERS: Staring a cast of bland cookie-cutter wooden actors with little to no talent!!

Guest starring the Transformers

Yeah, it ruined the movie for G1 fans - but not the childhood! Laughing

Echo_City wrote:

Speaking of which, what would the plot of the CB movie be? Do they show Spike surviving, hooking up with Faye, and they keep on hunting bounties till they die? Maybe introduce some movie-only villain? Or will it be another storyline set between the beginning of CB and the mafia ending eps? (ie another Knocking on Heaven's Door) I just don't see much potential here, either way they're retelling the same story, with high risks of flopping.

The live-action movie is supposed to be a continuation of the "Red Eye" story.

Echo_City wrote:
American films have made their fight sequences horrendous in recent years, with camera cuts flashing so fast that you can't tell what is going on, and camera close ups so tight on fists & feet that the blows in these battles look like the legendary "disembodied punches" of Gundam fame. The Expendables is a prime example. I paid money to see that movie.

Eh, a lot of anime fights just use flashes of light or some other cutting corners. DBZ didn't even bother animating much of it ("too fast for the eyes") - yet DBZ is appreciated by much of the N. American mainstream. So obviously it's not a deal-breaker. Laughing
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Cowboy Bebop could be fantastic . . . as a cable television show. It's practically made to be turned into a live-action series, with a relatively small but entertaining cast, interesting settings, self-contained episodes, and no subtext.

The downside is that you'd have to change the title. "Cowboy Bebop" just sounds weird - I think it would turn off potential viewers who don't already know about the show.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Eh, a lot of anime fights just use flashes of light or some other cutting corners. DBZ didn't even bother animating much of it ("too fast for the eyes") - yet DBZ is appreciated by much of the N. American mainstream. So obviously it's not a deal-breaker. Laughing

Maybe not for you but for me it certainly is. And Cowboy Bebop actually has really good action scenes.

Edit: I forgot I'm not American so my opinion might not matter to you.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's clear that those Hollywood bastards are trying to get a specific kind of reaction that would justify them making a Cowboy Bebop movie by constantly saying something about it. But if you ask me, if America can't make good film adaptations of their own works (with so very few exceptions) then how do they expect to make non-American stuff good?

It's bad enough that they want to make a movie but it's kick in the teeth that they want to get Keanu Reeves for the part, he's too short, he's not a great actor, and he doesn't even look the part. Hell, Hugh Jackman would be a better choice.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Maybe not for you but for me it certainly is. And Cowboy Bebop actually has really good action scenes.

Edit: I forgot I'm not American so my opinion might not matter to you.

Well, it's not that if it's a deal-breaker for you or that it matters to me. It's a N. American film, so it matters if it's a deal-breaker to much of N. American watchers (it's not an individual thing; it's a population thing).

TopGunman wrote:

It's bad enough that they want to make a movie but it's kick in the teeth that they want to get Keanu Reeves for the part,

They're not trying to get Keanu Reeves - he's the one trying to get it made in the first place.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

They're not trying to get Keanu Reeves - he's the one trying to get it made in the first place.

Oh. Either way it's gonna suck since he's involved. He's nowhere near a good actor, not that he's terrible but a half-assed performance by Stewart Granger would still easily OWN him

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

And just to comment on Transformers. I have to agree that the movies were bad for the reasons mentioned PLUS the following,

Michael Bay has this stupid habit of somehow overemphasizing on the product-placements in his movies. WHY did ALL the Transformers have to be either GM cars or American military tanks and jets? Where's the variety in brands? It would have seemed so much more subtle. A mountain dew machine transformer, an xbox transformer. The only things that weren't American was that Nokia spider transformer and Scorponok

Military errors, Abrams tanks have been discontinued for years before the first movie came out so what the hell were they doing in Qatar? The missiles that were used in the F-22s are NOT air-to-ground missiles. Please, military people are likely to be into Transformers, be plausible to them as well

The portrayals of non-Americans.
- A bored, lazy, dirty Indian who picks his nose.
- Indigenous Arabs who live in the desert with next to no technology.
- A Hispanic with sick taste buds who shoves his heritage down the throats of those around him.

Bay's Cinematography - Worst ever in film history. Shaky camera, slow-motion scenes cramped together

And don't get me started on Bayformers 2: ROTF(LOL) - I only saw an hour of it ONLINE and just called it quits because it was like a movie aimed towards the idiot-demographic.

Echo_City wrote:
American films have made their fight sequences horrendous in recent years, with camera cuts flashing so fast that you can't tell what is going on, and camera close ups so tight on fists & feet that the blows in these battles look like the legendary "disembodied punches" of Gundam fame. The Expendables is a prime example. I paid money to see that movie.

The camera wasn't shaking and flashing all the time. I happen to own that movie on DVD. It has SOME shaky camera, but not to the point where you can't see what's going on, it was nothing like a God-awful Michael Bay movie. Believe me, I myself HATE excessive shaky camera scenes. HATE them.

It was a fun action movie, sure it wasn't the best action flick out there but to me it felt like a warm-up to the sequel which will have Arnie and Willis in bigger roles, PLUS CARL WEATHERS!!

CARL WEATHERS IN THE EXPENDABLES 2 people!! DILLON/APOLLO CREED/ACTION JACKSON. The COOLEST black actor ever! And hopefully we also get Wesley Snipes, Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke, and maybe Billy Dee Williams.

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4