• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wasted my time watching this anime show:_______________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
[Regarding Chrono Crusade] spoiler[Aion wasn't truly a cut-and-dry villain. Was he truly wrong to want to be his own man, free from oppression? Could you not identify with wanting to escape from under the iron fist of tyranny? "Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven"...but Aion was still a servant, as were all the demons, whilst in hell]

spoiler[So, subjecting the world to despair and the most horrific war ever is okay as long as you were once oppressed as well? Mmm, no. Aion didn't want just to be free of tyranny, but to throw heaven, hell, and earth into utter chaos. Even if we dismiss the notion that demons are inherently evil, Aion utilizes torture and murder to achieve the goal of EVEN MORE torture and murder. That's hardly an ambiguous villain.]
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
All of Sailor Moon.

I wound up watching the entire show only because a girl I was seeing at the time wanted me to watch it with her.

I was always turned off by the main character, Usagi Tsukino's stupidity and could never get into the show because of it.

You are officially a war veteran in my book.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, subjecting the world to despair and the most horrific war ever is okay as long as you were once oppressed as well? Mmm, no. Aion didn't want just to be free of tyranny, but to throw heaven, hell, and earth into utter chaos. Even if we dismiss the notion that demons are inherently evil, Aion utilizes torture and murder to achieve the goal of EVEN MORE torture and murder. That's hardly an ambiguous villain.

Step down off your plinth, it's dangerous up there Wink

Aion was compelled to lead the world to despair as it was the only way in which he could obtain his freedom. You can also read a certain amount of irony into it, that in order for a demon to be free from the control of God he must do exactly what God ordained demons to do.

Quote:
Even if we dismiss the notion that demons are inherently evil

In talking about Chrono Crusade, that notion doesn't exist as most of the character development in the show was to demonstrate that Chrono wasn't inherently evil, and thus that all demons were not, contrary to stereotyping.

Quote:
Aion utilizes torture and murder to achieve the goal of EVEN MORE torture and murder.

And God didn't? Humans didn't? Remember that the show stated that while Aion may have initiated World War One, it was fought by men, and that God allowed it to happen.

Also, I can only think of one person Aion directly killed, and that was Kelly Manison's character. The only person I remember him deliberately "torturing" was Satella.

Shoot, Rosette & Chrono spent the first half of the show laying waste to demons. That's the same as a demon killing a few humans.

Seems that everyone was allowing torture and murder, so who then is the definitive hero? Who was the definitive villain? Aion killed less people than humans themselves did, and God allowed them all to die, so how do we say who killed more? Not stopping a murder when you have the power to is tantamount to actually killing the person. Same with any other.

Before you jump to the conclusion that Rosette was the hero, I'd like to remind you that her loyalty was to Chrono & Joshua first and foremost. She was willing to abandon her selfless duties as an ordained Sister for either of them. Chrono wasn't a true "hero" as he was never convinced that Aion's goal of liberating the demons was wrong, Chrono just balked at the extremes Aion went to in order to accomplish that end. What true hero would agree with a true villain's ideals? Joshua is out of the running as he spends most of the show not technically in control of his own actions, he was a puppet.

There was no one person who was the embodiment of purity, who fought for the right and was incorruptible. There was no "Champion of Justice", as all 3 factions (God, Humans, Demons) committed both evil and good. When your "villain" does both good and evil, he's an ambiguous villain.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
The whole Sailor Moon thing was years ago and almost forgotten.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole Sailor Moon thing was years ago and almost forgotten.

Sailor Moon is like riding a bike--you can never forget, for better or worse. Wink

I remember seeing Sailor Moon on Toonami ages ago (and then the stuff they didn't show, in Japanese), moreso than I remember some anime shows I've seen recently. It's downright scary. Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, I have a lot that could fit in here.

Avenger, Blade of the Immortal, and El Cazador: The crippling pace is something I'm used to from Bee-Train, but the ending for these shows nowhere near makes up for the time spent on them.

Durarara!!: The show spends its first half by building up the supporting cast only to barely use them in the second half. The first half was time well-spent, but the second felt like such a waste.

Clannad ~After Story~: I enjoy Key works, but the spoiler[Deus Ex Machina ending of After Story was such BS. Why couldn't Tomoya had just used his leap in character growth to gain the resolve to look after Ushio? Of if there had to be magical lights, then why not just revive Ushio and/or Tomoya in the snow, instead of that time travel crap? Nagisa coming back just ruined that series for me. ]

Spiral: Who are the Blade Children? Well, you'll never find out by watching the anime. And you'll never see the protagonist meet up with his brother or anything else that would have actually made sense for the plot.

Chaos;Head: The first 3 episodes were pretty darn good, what with the whole mental instability of the main character and the murder mystery. But then all the interesting parts go away... and they never come back Sad Leaving the viewer with just some generic shounen crap about using BS superpowers to take down an evil corporation.

Umineko: Since I was a big fan of Higurashi, I was really looking forward to Umineko. Unfortunately, due mainly to problems of perspective (IE, we don't know through whose, if any, eyes that we are looking through, unlike the sound novel from what I understand) the show is just simply a trainwreck. It didn't help that there was no ending, and judging by the sales of it, we're not getting an Umineko Chiru any time soon.
Lucky_Smrt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Berserk
I was hoping for a epic finish, but to my great surprise, there was none! I really need season 2 to make up for the lost time. I hope they will make it soon. Guess they were planning to make some kind of intro to manga or something.

Yeah, pretty big loss of time there Razz
damien007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Lucky_Smrt wrote:
Berserk
I was hoping for a epic finish, but to my great surprise, there was none! I really need season 2 to make up for the lost time. I hope they will make it soon. Guess they were planning to make some kind of intro to manga or something.

Yeah, pretty big loss of time there Razz

The anime and first 13 volumes of the manga are all based in a flashback and act as an intro to the real story. An how could you not consider that ending anything short of epic?

For me the show i felt i wasted the most time watching would have to be inuyasha. I watched every episode simply becuase i had nothing better to do when i was younger. In retrospect I only now realise just how slow and repetitive that show was.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with Berserk as well. It turned out to be a more respectable Claymore, but I expected realism in the combat, not a guy with a Buster Sword cleaving through armor. Also, the name "guts" was a little over-the-top.

But worse,
Soukou no Strain (S.T.R.A.I.N- Strategic Armored Infantry). Nothing redeeming, a bunch of BS science which lead to pointless technobabble and a plot shot full of holes.

Here's a question--how do all these child mech pilots in anime get into their organizations? There is not a single one who wouldn't flunk even the most rudimentary psych exam. I can't think of a one, from Shinji through Setsuna, and including the 2 major mech pilots in the colossal waste of time that is STRAIN. (Maybe the show is better in dub, but I'm not going to find out.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For me the show i felt i wasted the most time watching would have to be inuyasha. I watched every episode simply becuase i had nothing better to do when i was younger. In retrospect I only now realise just how slow and repetitive that show was.

I suggest watching Inu Yasha: The Final Act the 26 episode sequel/finale to the show which came out last year. It might change your opinion. It certainly did for me.
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

I suggest watching Inu Yasha: The Final Act the 26 episode sequel/finale to the show which came out last year. It might change your opinion. It certainly did for me.

Yeah i saw that when it aired. However it doesn't change the fact i could have watched less then a fith of the original series, and still been able to follow the finale that ticks me off in restrospect.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Basilisk-Why? Well mostly my dislike for this comes from mixed feelings. spoiler[I really liked the action and the characters which were so good they kept me watching a sub genre I usually despise, the romantic tragedy. I feel my time is wasted when time is spent developing good characters who's only point of existence is to die for a pointless cause and make me feel rotten when they twist the knife. Doubly so when a good romance doesn't end well.]

Chrono Crusade-This show just totally drops the ball completely at the end. spoiler[The bad guy wins, the main character's time runs out and they die, and essentially the show ended up being one big unfinished and depressing mess.]

Gantz- spoiler[A nihilistic show that's basically all sex and violence with no substance or elements to lighten it's overly dour mood and provide a measure of hope. It's characters are very weak and unlikable with the exception of a few who are of course killed off. Finally, it's totally unfinished, not giving us any background on Gantz, and the ending makes no sense.]

Gilgamesh-Same problems and Gantz only even more confusing and depressing.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade- spoiler[Again I really dislike wasted character potential. When so much of the movie is spent on changing the character I feel really cheated when he just reverts back and shoots the girl at the end.]

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom- spoiler[I liked this series a lot, but then the last few minutes of the last episode happened. Having the main character just randomly get shot and die felt so cheap and at odds with the theme of the show.]

Texhnolyze- spoiler[I have a problem with series that kill off too many characters. Character death is better in smaller more meaningful doses. If it's done too much, people grow numb to it and it loses it's impact. I also don't get the Japanese fascination with killing off entire casts and in cases like this all of humanity.]

I think you missed the point of Jin-Roh. Neither of the two main characters were completely innocent. The soldier belonged to a fascist army and the girl could be defined as either a freedom fighter or a terrorist. She may have been fighting for a good cause but she hurt and killed innocent people in the process. I bought and watched this before 9/11 and had more sympathy for the girl. I watched again after 9/11 and discovered a whole new perspective. spoiler[And the soldier didn't exactly "regress", he had no choice. Either she died or he died; he loved her but he knew she wasn't completely innocent, as well.] In other words, it was a political movie and it wasn't really meant to have a happy ending.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

I think you missed the point of Jin-Roh. Neither of the two main characters were completely innocent. The soldier belonged to a fascist army and the girl could be defined as either a freedom fighter or a terrorist. She may have been fighting for a good cause but she hurt and killed innocent people in the process. I bought and watched this before 9/11 and had more sympathy for the girl. I watched again after 9/11 and discovered a whole new perspective. spoiler[And the soldier didn't exactly "regress", he had no choice. Either she died or he died; he loved her but he knew she wasn't completely innocent, as well.] In other words, it was a political movie and it wasn't really meant to have a happy ending.

No, I understood the movie completely, I just disliked it and what it had to say and how it wasted my time while doing it. Both are possible at the same time. You don't have to like something to understand it.
IchigoSasuke52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
i wasted my time watching Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE. not because it was a bad anime series, oh no i liked it a lot. but if someone would of told me instead of finding out myself after watching the entire thing that it would just end mid series and not even continue, then i wouldnt have watched and really gotten into it. this sucks lol
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
What is it? Why?

I'm going to start first....I watched Serial Experiments Lain thinking that it's really that good and I was completely confused in the end. Everyone seems to like it but I just didn't get it. Simply, I wasn't really entertained at all.

lol noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo really?

Join the club lol

The reason is most likely because you were bored and not occupied with anything at that time. I believe that goes for most people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4