• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pandering in anime. Welcome or unwelcome?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like it?
yes
31%
 31%  [ 25 ]
no
40%
 40%  [ 32 ]
Sec... need to check dictionary
28%
 28%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 80

egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
My impression:
This is entertainment. As long as it's entertaining to me I couldn't care less. I know it affects anime overall, which is why I'm glad the disagreeable other end of the stick exists to balance things out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
What kind of pandering, specifically? If we are talking about anime pandering to my taste for meaty, beaty bouncing boobies, then I'm all for it. If we are talking about anime pandering to somebody's taste in incredibly boring, forgettable male harem leads, then I'm agin' it.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Any kind of pandering. I'm not making any specific distinction as it's usually lumped together anyway.

For the sake of specification, I don't see how pandering to your or my taste of big boobies is any different than pandering to someone who enjoys harem. In fact, both get along well together.

In a way, I'm just tired of people using it as a minus to describe series, when it's present in anime just as much as fanservice.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I voted "yes" because of my attraction to those doe-eyed beauties. I can't imagine too many people wouldn't enjoy that slow moving camera following the curves of Eri (School Rumble) wearing the two piece bikini.

I will have to say, there are some pandering elements I feel are overused, taking away enjoyment. One of those is the "jiggly" breasts. I don't understand why they have to bounce unnaturally. It's not like the attention needs to be drawn in any further. The sheer size alone makes it impossible to miss them.

I also don't like certain pantsu shots. Those in which the camera angle is thrown to the ground for the purposely pandering up-skirt shot is ridiculous. Why not just use a more convenient gust of wind?

One of the best pantsu shots comes from Narue, where she materializes from being teleported. The little "breeze" effect was an excellent pandering moment. Not too much. Just enough to tease.

Of course, I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever forget the scene in Shuffle where Asa drives Rin's face into her crotch.

Lucky bastard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, pandering can be a minus if it detracts from the series as a whole. I like big, bouncing boobies, but if all creative energy gets sucked into pandering to that at the expense of things like plot, character, etc, even I'm not onboard.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Keep hypothesis aside. How was/is your experience with it? Good, bad? Welcome, unwelcome? Yes, no?

Last edited by egoist on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't see nothing wrong with pandering. If you are just trying to please the hardcore group, might as well make them happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I found the repeated lingering shots up the legs to the skirt hems in Madoka Magica out-of-place when the subjects are twelve. I thought it introduced some unnecessarily "pervy" elements into a show that had no need for them.

Is that "pandering?"
arielifeoma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
I don't see how pandering is any different from fanservice. I suppose pandering could be relegated to that fanservice that only includes perviness versus stuff like...motorcycles!!! I like tvtropes and such so even if I don't enjoy a particular type of fanservice (like that for boobies) it doesn't bother me. It can even be fun to point out the instances. I obviously don't mind when they pander to a female audience by making all of the characters in a Shounen look incredibly handsome. Even though it's not unwelcome, it's not something that bugs me but I can see how it would detract from a show if interests conflicted. For example, I can't identify with busty girls well so I could see how ssome males don't ID with their bishie counterparts.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, pandering can be a minus if it detracts from the series as a whole. I like big, bouncing boobies, but if all creative energy gets sucked into pandering to that at the expense of things like plot, character, etc, even I'm not onboard.

I agree wholeheartedly. Especially if I'm watching a title I know isn't going to be serious at all, and Im not expecting anything deep, I say pander away!!! But if it is a title that has a real story going on, pandering is fine as long as they know when it is welcome and when it's just annoyingly distracting.

Although most of the time I think of pandering and fanservice as synonyms, that really isn't the case. As other people have said, making hot male leads is pandering. And that scene in Death Note when L was cleaning Light's feet was major yaoi fangirl pandering.... Anime hyper did they even know how giant and insane the can of worms was that they were opening?[/spoiler]
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any particular issues with pandering, in all of its various forms. Sometimes it is done well, and sometimes it is unnecessary and even ridiculous, but it's a part of Anime so I don't let it bother me much. If it's so blatant that the whole point of the show is a mystery, then that's a show that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, so I don't.
StealhAssassin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Pandering in Anime is somewhat an insult to the fans. Manipulating one's instincts just so they watch your material and pay for it is rather inhumane. It is psychologically proven and it is obvious that pandering in Anime would only hurt the fans psychologically, while they're happy about it; not to mention how it is included in Anime that's intended for young children: In which case this goes beyond being just inhumane. To show such materiel to children so repeatedly is a crime against society. It is 99% pointless and needless in most of the times. So my vote would be a proud "NO".
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite titles contain varying amounts of fan-service so in the interest of honesty I voted "yes". In truth, I'm really kind of indifferent to it. I won't reject a show that entertains me because of it, but there are titles where it just does not belong.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I need a "sometimes" option.

I didn't like it in High School of the Dead, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I voted for "no", because I generally don't like fanservice. Highschool of the Dead for example. It started out very intense and interesting, and then we got to the bath scene and then the beach episode.... I just felt like "Ehh, I've seen enough already just get them off the screen already".

Ofcourse I knew what I was signing up for when I started watching HotD, but the first few episodes weren't so bad, so I thought it would be fine, but then.... bath scene happened.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes some fanservice might be good for comedy, but If they are wasting budget on bouncing boobs they are going too far.

Is bishounen considered pandering then aswell? I would imagine bishoujo is so I guess it's no different. Can't say much about bishounen expect that I think it's completely wrong for a male to look like a girl, expect he doesn't have a long hair and boobs.

P.S. I don't want to start a converstation about HotD, I merely used it as an example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2