• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Shark Tale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:36 am Reply with quote
Re: Geneon DVD cases.

I do recall a Store Memo for a store chain I was working for a while back concerning Geneon DVD cases with those DVD Security Keepers. Apparently, several stores were complaining that Chobits DVD cases were not properly fitting into those cases, and in some cases, clerks were litterally "pounding them" into the keepers in order for them to fit.

I did a comparison with my Ikki Tousen DVD case with my Burn-Up W DVD case, and the Ikki Tousen case is maybe 1/8th inch taller than the Burn-Up W case. Ditto when I compared sizes with my Resident Evil DVD case (Your standard black cases.)

I'm now wondering if Geneon is using a different batch of DVD cases for a reason or is it manufacturer error and nobody caught it yet??
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dear Ms. Answerman,
Can you recomend any good OST's? I'm really into anything thats orchestrated like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop OST's. Anything like that would be fine.
Thanks
Escaflowne, Wolf’s Rain, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were all composed by Yoko Kanno, the woman behind Cowboy Bebop’s soundtrack, and all have wonderful OSTs out there. Some other OSTs you might want to pick up are for Texhnolyze, .hack//Sign, and FLCL, though in general it’s hard to find a bad one (at least in my opinion).
I'd just like to add "Noir" Vol's. 1 & 2 there as well. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, unfortuantely, the Noir OSTs aren't officially licensed for U.S. distribution yet. So this person would probably have to import them (for an obscene amount of money), and if that person is reading this, watch out for bootlegs! Anime hyper
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yeah, unfortuantely, the Noir OSTs aren't officially licensed for U.S. distribution yet. So this person would probably have to import them (for an obscene amount of money), and if that person is reading this, watch out for bootlegs! Anime hyper
Aye! Imports will cost ya' deep in the purse, but for "Noir" OST's it was well worth the pain. Strange ADV didn't arrange the license for these as the music is half of the gratification of watching Noir, but there we are. Guess they have enough on their plate with just the animes.
vherub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Trigun and Hellsing both have quality orchestrated osts
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The jazz-inspired R.O.D. soundtrack is pretty spiffy too. Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I did a comparison with my Ikki Tousen DVD case with my Burn-Up W DVD case, and the Ikki Tousen case is maybe 1/8th inch taller than the Burn-Up W case. Ditto when I compared sizes with my Resident Evil DVD case (Your standard black cases.)

I'm now wondering if Geneon is using a different batch of DVD cases for a reason or is it manufacturer error and nobody caught it yet??

No company uses a uniform DVD case type. They seem to just use whatever is cheapest and easiest to get a hold of. If you've got an entire series on DVD (preferebly not from a box set) take them all and open up the case and take a good look at the inside of the cases. You'll probably find two or three different types of cases, some with a simple button release, some with a 3 prongs, some with a button that stays compressed when you push it, and others with different sized grooves on the outside edges where you open them from, or even different shapped snaps for closing the cases.

The only problem I've ever actually encountered (other than wrinkled plastic which is probably caused by them being too close to a heat source) is that the clear plastic may be too short causing the insert to stick out a bit and then causing the security sticker to stick directly to the insert causing it to rip when being removed.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
Back to the OST...
I'm intrigued by your mentioning of the Noir OST - First, I didn't eve know there was one (thanks for clearing that up, Tony K), but second, I never thought the music was that good in the beginning. Yes, it got better in the end, but not so much that I'd be wanting the OST - let alone 2! It seemed really generic to me - generic songs reminescent of famous songs, but adding an acordian so you know it's european - and what's with the whole dadada song thing?

Ms. Answerman, I think, steered our questionee in the correct dirrection with the Escaflowne OST. I think this one is very good. Also, I liked the recomendation of the FLCL OST - I personally love this one - but it's not really what the questionee asked for - FLCL is mostly rock songs - awesome rock songs - but deffinately not "orchestrated". If I could add one, you might want to check an Inuyasha OST. It may have a bunch of op and ed theme songs, but the bgm is great!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
Heh. Actually, there's 3 soundtracks. 2 TV OSTs and another one (which I forgot the name of right now).

The music, I think, is OK, but it's got a lot of stuff in Minor, which I'm not a big fan of. It's good if that sort of style is your thing, but I sang a lot of choral pieces in Minor keys in high school, so I guess I kind of grew tired of it Razz.

In any case, it's by Yuuki Kajiura, and that to me, will get an automatic recommendation (I love .hack//SIGN). Wink
Crescent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they only have ‘Music’ listed, then it’s possible that they didn’t have a lot of money to put towards a decent director/producer.

That's not always true, though :P If I remember correctly (which I may not be, so don't kill me ^^; ) Yoko Kanno is only credited as simply "Music" in regards to Bebop and Wolf's Rain.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:59 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Back to the OST...
I'm intrigued by your mentioning of the Noir OST - First, I didn't eve know there was one (thanks for clearing that up, Tony K), but second, I never thought the music was that good in the beginning. Yes, it got better in the end, but not so much that I'd be wanting the OST - let alone 2! It seemed really generic to me - generic songs reminescent of famous songs, but adding an acordian so you know it's european - and what's with the whole dadada song thing?
Well I can be said to have a fairly wide music interest (looks over at his groaning shelves of vinyl’s of old and CD's of new) and I've heard very few of anything like it orchestral wise so I couldn't place the sound in the "generic" catagory IMHO, but to each their own. Yes the feel is "European" but then I would guess that was intentional as the story is based in Western Europe. Also on a side note Ms. Yuki Kajiura, the composer, grew up in Germany and learned music reading and writing there before returning to Japan in her early adulthood. So I think her Asian and European mix is brilliantly unique IMHO as well. Wink I can't place what that "dadada" song is as I don't remember a dadada type track in it. Have you got a title for that?
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks Emerje. That was one of the things I've been curious about but never thought it vital enough to ask anyone why.

And I agree completely with you. I've seen different buttons, different shaped/sized 'opening' sides, and the paper insert has been bigger than the plastic cover (or vice versa) seemingly most of the time. And it's not just one company, I have examples from Geneon, Viz, and Bandai. *shrugs*
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I did a comparison with my Ikki Tousen DVD case with my Burn-Up W DVD case, and the Ikki Tousen case is maybe 1/8th inch taller than the Burn-Up W case.

I noticed this today when i was putting some new anime dvds on the shelf. Ikki Tousen is very slightly taller than than The Big O II dvd next to it
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't place what that "dadada" song is as I don't remember a dadada type track in it. Have you got a title for that?

Yeah, I remember when Kirika and Mirielle first met Chloe. It was very quiet, and suspensfull, then there was a short little vocal track where they just said "dah" the whole time: Dah dah dah, dah dah dah dah dah dah, dah dah, DAH DAH, DAH! It showed up a few times in the series, and just kind of didn't seem to match with the flow.
My room mate and I would allways laugh when it came on, and sing along. In fact, whenever there's tension, or a quiet scene in a move, to this day, he'll should out DAH DAH DAH! Maybe it's an inside joke, but it always makes me laugh.
manut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was wondering if a second season of hikaru no go was coming?

There was a new year special this year, which advance the story a little bit more than the tv series. It starts with the announcement of a junior cup between China, Japan and Korea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2