• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Because if no one's going to buy the print edition, no one's going to buy the digital edition? Most of VIZ's digital offerings in Ipad are their proven bookstore sellers.

That's hard to say when they haven't put one of their lesser known titles on there. Besides, iPads are a limited market - Viz's core fanbase is teenagers - and how many teenagers have their own personal iPad that they can download manga to? Not a whole helluva lot. Not to mention Gintama isn't really a teenager friendly title. It might actually do better on the iPad.

I was thinking more of a web based application, that's following the Crunchyroll Model: ad-based for the free version, and an ad-free subscription version.

Quote:

I mean, most of the Gintama books cost 7.99, right? If they won't buy a high quality, keep it forever, cheaper than other manga print edition, why would they buy a digital edition that costs 2 bucks less?

Especially when they're just going to read it on pirate sites anyways?

$9.99.

And believe it or not, while Gintama IS pirated, it isn't often scanlated. It's a pain in the ass to translate, none of the major scanlation groups will touch it with a ten foot pole. Gintama is scanned as an afterthought, and then translated (usually a couple of weeks later), and then maybe eventually the translation and the chapter will meet up at some point.

Viz doesn't actually have a whole helluva lot of competition when it comes to Gintama, since very few people are willing to flip through a raw chapter, THEN read the translated script (or vice versa). They actually have the most complete collection of English language Gintama.

Quote:

I think the best solution is for everyone to go out and buy Gintama books ASAP, if you're a fan of the series and haven't bought it yet. Show VIZ there's interest, and they'll revive it. Marvel "cancelled" Spidergirl a dozen times, and it last 100+ issues throughout the 00's since everytime it came close to getting canned people boosted the sales on it [had a nice ending too recently].

Agreed. I have several volumes but I am sorely behind on my collection due to lack of budget. I will go out and snag volume 22 though (and I hear there's a fanart request in that volume, so there will be some epic, epic fanart being directed at Viz as well Anime hyper).
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
I remember hearing about this when it was just speculation. It's awful, and I hope it doesn't mean more series will get dropped from Viz or other publishers in the near future.

At the time of the thread on the manga forum, I ran through their current lengthier ongoing series- many were completed or soon to be completed like Yakitate Japan whose last volume is out this week, and the vast majority had multiple volumes schedule well into the future. The only ones on hiatus were on the ones we know about- InuBaka, Gintama, Bastard, Shakugan no Shana, and Reborn, followed by Zatch Bell and Kurohime which both appeared to have some sort of license issue as others have mentioned. So 4 hiatuses of low selling manga isn't too unusual, considering the enormous number of titles they're putting out right now.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=180368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Some of their newer license are shorter/finished series, though there are some longer ones in there [Dorohedoro's at 15 vols in Japan], but I imagine if they find their audience they should be okay [Dorohedoro's 5th volume's date makes it look like they're switching it to quarterly releases, so it's being sped up]
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:

That's hard to say when they haven't put one of their lesser known titles on there. Besides, iPads are a limited market - Viz's core fanbase is teenagers - and how many teenagers have their own personal iPad that they can download manga to? Not a whole helluva lot. Not to mention Gintama isn't really a teenager friendly title. It might actually do better on the iPad.

I was thinking more of a web based application, that's following the Crunchyroll Model: ad-based for the free version, and an ad-free subscription version.

Quote:

I mean, most of the Gintama books cost 7.99, right? If they won't buy a high quality, keep it forever, cheaper than other manga print edition, why would they buy a digital edition that costs 2 bucks less?

$9.99.

And believe it or not, while Gintama IS pirated, it isn't often scanlated. It's a pain in the ass to translate, none of the major scanlation groups will touch it with a ten foot pole. Gintama is scanned as an afterthought, and then translated (usually a couple of weeks later), and then maybe eventually the translation and the chapter will meet up at some point.

Viz doesn't actually have a whole helluva lot of competition when it comes to Gintama, since very few people are willing to flip through a raw chapter, THEN read the translated script (or vice versa). They actually have the most complete collection of English language Gintama..

re:9.99 - the current volumes are 9.99, but most of the older volumes are still 7.99 as they were issued prior to the price chaneg. Taht's what I was referring to.

As for Ipads, I used to think that too, then it occured to me that VIZ is probably targetting older fans, and teen fans whose parents own Ipads- you see parents letting their kids play with their iphones/ipads all the time, so I see no reason they wouldn't let them buy a few manga apps on it. It's apparently been very successful for VIZ, and exceeded their expectations- I imagine it's helping them determine how to tackle digital in the future.

Also, they do have webbased services- http://www.shonensunday.com , http://www.sigikki.com , which put up new chapters for free w/ads , then remove them when the print edition is released. They also have the subscription/web based http://www.shonenjump.viz.com which allows magazine subscribers [mostly teens/young adults] to read bonus chapters and exclusive series online.

"And believe it or not, while Gintama IS pirated, it isn't often scanlated." I kind of assume in that case some of the bootlegs out there might be of VIZ's edition? That can't help sales.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
GOOD RIDDANCE to overrated manga Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Most fans wouldn't pay that much. They don't love it that much. :lol:

I don't know, there are some crazy fans out there. Like me, for instance.

I'm not a Gintama fan, Im a Reborn fan...any price tag on something Reborn doesn't stop me if Im going to get it without a doubt.

I currently imported all the Japanese DVDs of this show and still collecting. I also imported the mang and all the chibi figurines, watches, artbooks, novels, ect.... so don't go assuming no one loves a series that much and is willing to pay to support it.

Although I give you props for supporting Viz Media and the like regardless of price, sadly not many anime/manga fans share that attitude these days. I am with you though, I payed double the price one would normally pay just to complete my Dr. Slump manga collection. It wasn't easy and wasn't cheap either.

Back when there still was a Borders/Walden Books where I live (both are long gone now) you'd be surprised how often I found someone reading manga but not actually buy it. In fact, there were several times where I even heard several of them talk about not buying to their friends. And by the time they were done reading the manga, sometimes the book was either torn or bent so badly, I doubt anyone would really consider buying it.

I've continued to support Viz Media by buying Bleach because not only do I like Bleach, but if it sells well, it means Viz Media has extra money to license other shows and manga. Better to have something than nothing at all, trust me on this.
Lupica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Bleh. I was completely up to date on the Viz volumes. Guess I'll switch to the Japanese, but with Sentai's DVD release of this show on hold too it's a frustrating time to be a Gintama fan.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
Guess I'll switch to the Japanese, but with Sentai's DVD release of this show on hold too it's a frustrating time to be a Gintama fan.

Which is why I still think it would have been a much better idea for Viz Media to acquire the rights to Gintama instead of Sentai.

Better chance of a English dub and a consistent schedule. No guesswork (for the most part) with Viz Media.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Better chance of a English dub and a consistent schedule. No guesswork (for the most part) with Viz Media.

Yea, Viz would've done a dub, but have you bought any non-mega anime series from Viz? Like pretty much everyone over 13 eps has been cancelled. i.e. HunterxHunter, Prince of Tennis, Blue Dragon, Hikaru no Go, MAR, Monster, etc. etc. etc. They canceled the DVD releases on all these series and more before completion.

Viz has one of the worst track records when it comes to DVD releases. Hell, if it wasn't for itunes, we would never have been able to complete Blue Dragon or Hikaru no Go dubbed.

Kekkaishi is coming out soon, and I would love to own it. But, I'm afraid it won't sell great and they won't release the whole thing.

This is bad news, I was planning on buying/catching up to Gintama manga until I got a CR membership and started watching the anime. I guess I should have now, I feel for all the followers of the series.
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

re:9.99 - the current volumes are 9.99, but most of the older volumes are still 7.99 as they were issued prior to the price chaneg. Taht's what I was referring to.

Ah. The price jump hits at volume... *Amazons* volume 15. So yeah, all but 9 of 'em are $7.99

Quote:
As for Ipads, I used to think that too, then it occured to me that VIZ is probably targetting older fans, and teen fans whose parents own Ipads- you see parents letting their kids play with their iphones/ipads all the time, so I see no reason they wouldn't let them buy a few manga apps on it. It's apparently been very successful for VIZ, and exceeded their expectations- I imagine it's helping them determine how to tackle digital in the future.

The trouble is we don't know what their expectations are. I mean, if this is accurate, comics just flat don't sell that much in the US: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19571.html, so their expectations could have been fairly low. I mean, the bulk of the stuff on that list (Gintama included) sold below 1,000 copies so... I dunno what count as a success.

Quote:
Also, they do have webbased services- http://www.shonensunday.com , http://www.sigikki.com , which put up new chapters for free w/ads , then remove them when the print edition is released. They also have the subscription/web based http://www.shonenjump.viz.com which allows magazine subscribers [mostly teens/young adults] to read bonus chapters and exclusive series online.

I know, but they hardly promote the SJ Advanced line - which is what Gintama is a part of.

Quote:
"And believe it or not, while Gintama IS pirated, it isn't often scanlated." I kind of assume in that case some of the bootlegs out there might be of VIZ's edition? That can't help sales.

I have run across a few, but VIZ's translation is so inconsistent that it's actually a little hard to tell which is a scanlation, and which is the official translation a good chunk of the time. There's only a few ways to tell some apart: VIZ insists on translating Shiroyasha as White Knight; a fan translation will either translate it as White Demon or, usually just leave it as Shiroyasha. Viz will replace most text on signage and whatnot, whereas scanlators won't. And there's the MADAO/DORK switch which, again, fans will leave it as MADAO, while Viz uses DORK. Sometimes you can pick it out through use of swearing, but sometimes Viz leaves that in so it's hit and miss there. Oh, and scanlators will almost always have cultural/translator notes, whereas Viz will not.

Don't even get me started on the typesetting errors. >.<

The sporadic quality of the official release is far more damaging than sporadic scanlations in this case.

Last edited by spartydragon on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
Why not... do print-on-demand tankobons?

This x 1000. Whether it be books, music or tv/movies, I don't understand the point of owning the rights to something and doing it print on demand. The setup fee for services like these are in the area of $25-$75 per title. What is the point of refusing to make money on a project and submitting all sales to the second-hand market?

For any title where a company wouldn't have to pay anything other than the $75 one time setup costs (ie they own the rights/license to release it), I don't see the point to not doing print-on-demand unless you're actively releasing it or in the process of actively releasing it.
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering the quality of this manga, I'm not very surprised.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
So many Negative thoughts just came into my head... When I came across your comment. Though, I rather just keep those Negative comments off ANN...
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Alas, it was true after all. Crying or Very sad

I've purchased the majority of whatever Viz has put out, though I haven't purchased it since Vol. 18 because I haven't been reading any of the stuff I buy lately in lieu of reading manga at the library, and I had to prioritize my spending on stuff I was actually keeping up with.

I should catch up with Gintama next month to show support, but the self-defeatist in me thinks that my purchases won't matter this late in the game. I do intend to buy the rest of what's available regardless - Gintama was that good.

MrHatandClogs wrote:

Yea, Viz would've done a dub, but have you bought any non-mega anime series from Viz? Like pretty much everyone over 13 eps has been cancelled. i.e. HunterxHunter, Prince of Tennis, Blue Dragon, Hikaru no Go, MAR, Monster, etc. etc. etc. They canceled the DVD releases on all these series and more before completion.

They technically finished their release of Hunter x Hunter.

And before you mention the OVAs, they are considered separate from the TV series & Viz never stated that they had them. You can't say that they canceled something that wasn't announced.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
alexcampos wrote:
So many Negative thoughts just came into my head... When I came across your comment. Though, I rather just keep those Negative comments off ANN...

I'm an expert on the subject but calling something overrated in a negative way is something trolls tend to do
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Is this some sort of sick joke?! what are they gonna cancel next, Naruto?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6