• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast C, Licenses Panty & Stocking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
^__^v

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Canada - As you can read from the article and twitter post, we heard your concern.

No more Hulu player block.

Feel free to watch what you want on the new FUNimation.com site and visit your favorite HMV or Future Shop when you can. Wink

Lance
Your Friendly FUNimation marketing guy
{no Tim Hortons in Texas makes me sad - but your can order the coffee through the mail Smile but not the Timbits Sad }

Awesome!!! \o/ THANK YOU SO MUCH for hearing our concern! <3 I definitely continue to support you guys where possible.

Last edited by ^__^v on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Manga are FUNimation's and Viz's (and sometimes Bandai's) UK distro'. Think Redline is their only actual licence atm.

They're FUNimation's exclusive UK sub-licensing parter (where FUNi has UK rights - they don't for FMA:B for example which Manga licensed from Aniplex) and distro for Viz Europe/Kaze. Redline may actually be distro for Anchor Bay (Manga US), although Musashi looks to be something of an exclusive since it was actually dubbed in the UK. In terms of upcoming titles that are straight licenses, there's Haruhi 2k9 and Disappearance, Eureka 7 movie, XAM'd, HSotD, K-On...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the final episode of P&SWG and HOLY MACARONI8O i hope they make a second season
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Firstly, surprised that Funimation picked up Panty and Stocking. I would've thought that, if anyone picked it up, it'd be Media Blasters. However, now with it being licensed and getting a dub, I may have to watch it for the heck of it...and to settle my curiosity about it at last.

Won't be surprised if it eventually shows on Adult Swim. Anime hyper

Tara Strong As Stocking
Johnny Young bosch As Brief
Phil LaMarr as Gater Belt
Megan Hollingshead as panty
MAKE IT HAPPEN

Hate to burst your bubbles, but that is NEVER gonna happen.

The broadcast for AS , probably, but definitely not the dub cast your have there. Their probably gonna use their own VA and former ADV cast.

Since this is Funi were talking about Here's my guess for the dub cast.

For Panty : Collen Cinkerbeard

Stocking : Laura Bailey

Brief : Vic Micnoga

Gater Belt : Christopher R Sabat

There's no way I can see that cast you posted will be for P&S. Too much union crap. Besides business wise they'll use their own vetrans VA than getting outside VA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
C: YES. YES. YES. I hoped this would happen, since it's noitaminA, but...YES! Now I can actually watch it legally! My only problem is I'm going to be away on the 21st...dagnabbit. Whatever. THANK YOU FUNI!!!

Panty & Stocking: Wow. Just wow. I...wasn't even sure if this show was going to get licensed at ALL. I never watched it, but from what I heard... Shocked Either way, if there was ever a company that was going to license it, it totally would be FUNi. And we all know it's going on Adult Swim, it was pretty much made specifically for it. *cough*Powerpuff Girls*cough*. No merch rights, though, so those tissue box covers won't haunt me~!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Firstly, surprised that Funimation picked up Panty and Stocking. I would've thought that, if anyone picked it up, it'd be Media Blasters. However, now with it being licensed and getting a dub, I may have to watch it for the heck of it...and to settle my curiosity about it at last.

Won't be surprised if it eventually shows on Adult Swim. Anime hyper

Tara Strong As Stocking
Johnny Young bosch As Brief
Phil LaMarr as Gater Belt
Megan Hollingshead as panty
MAKE IT HAPPEN

Hate to burst your bubbles, but that is NEVER gonna happen.

The broadcast for AS , probably, but definitely not the dub cast your have there. Their probably gonna use their own VA and former ADV cast.

Since this is Funi were talking about Here's my guess for the dub cast.

For Panty : Collen Cinkerbeard

Stocking : Laura Bailey

Brief : Vic Micnoga

Gater Belt : Christopher R Sabat

There's no way I can see that cast you posted will be for P&S. Too much union crap. Besides business wise they'll use their own vetrans VA than getting outside VA.

I am more than aware of this but it doesn't hurt dream right? That's what i would like though but eh your right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Brief : Vic Mignogna

For the love of God, and all that is Holy, DO NOT WANT! D: D: D:

He would make a terrible Brief....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Firstly, surprised that Funimation picked up Panty and Stocking. I would've thought that, if anyone picked it up, it'd be Media Blasters.
Funi's been dealing with Gainax a fair bit since they're handling the EVA movies and MB probably didn't have enough cash. I could have seen Sentai getting it though.

I think it's a bit early to be trying to guess the cast. Funi does tend to re-use people a bit but sometimes they can really surprise you.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
OMG THEY LICENSED PANTY AND STOCKING! THIS GON BE GOOOOOD
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Glad to see P&S licensed, definately going to pick it up. A dvd release was only mentioned though, does that mean no blu-ray? Or is not mentioning that more of an oversight for an obvious answer?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I can't even see Vic Mignogna even having a part in this show. I mean, I COULD be wrong, since I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard I just can't see him being part of it.

But then again, he was in Hetalia, albeit a small part as Greece...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ya guys wanna know a funny story?
Ya guys wouldn't believe what inspired Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
Go ahead, guess. Very Happy

spoiler[ Drawn Together ]

No, really. Don't believe me?

About a month ago, Gainax visited Pixar studio at California.

Quote:

Hiromi Wakabayashi is the twisted mind behind the initial idea for Panty and Stocking. I immediately asked who was responsible for episode 7 the transformers episode. It was him who wrote the script! Hahaha. Someone asked him about the inspiration behind the show. “ A few years ago I along with other Gainax staffers at an american convention were watching the American tv animation “drawn together” and we couldn’t believe they were showing such explicit things on tv….. I thought…why don’t we do that!” Haha. Everyone laughed.

Hiromi also sighted Power Puff Girls and his love for American shows like Glee and Gossip Girl. Hiromi is also a huge fan of American comics!

And there ya go. Laughing

As a bonus, if ya guys wanna know the story about Gurren Lagann:

Quote:

I also got an explanation about the big blow-up during Gurren Lagann production in which Takami Akai stepped down from his position Gainax.

Hiromi explained, “…the fans were upset at the quality of animation, but it was completely intentional on the part of Imaishi (series director). He wanted to parody the common occurance, in many productions of the past, to have huge dips in quality during the course of a shows tv production.” That is a great tidbit to know!

I assumed it had to be intentional, because a studio like Gainax could have easily executed Episode 4 just as the rest.

EDIT: A better way to translate what Wakabayashi was trying to say, instead of describing it as “low production quality“, it makes better sense to say that Imaishi was trying to homage the common occurance of TV animation drawings of the past, to go “off model” from scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode.

This could be taken as a drop in quality at the hands of less talented animators(and would be considered so by a director or animation checker) but is also sometimes tied to the strong individual style of animator's who were more concerned with great movement or action than about maintaining a characters likeness. This makes all the more sense coming from Imaishi as his biggest influence is none other than Yoshinori Kanada, one of the true “individuals” in animation history. Kanada was someone who frequently tossed out “likeness”, drawing off model, in favor of some dynamic movement or action.

Doujin with animation cuts from [Sushio's] Gurren Lagann Parallel Works short film “Kittan Zero”! Killer!

Later when we were all hanging out I asked Otsuka-san if there would be another season of Gurren Lagann and sadly he said “..I think it is done.”

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 am; edited 4 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I can't even see Vic Mignogna even having a part in this show. I mean, I COULD be wrong, since I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard I just can't see him being part of it.

But then again, he was in Hetalia, albeit a small part as Greece...

Plus, well... I somehow think that show would be a bit too much even for Vic, considering his devout theological background and what not. Yeah, he has an expansive repertoire and so is professionally flexible in what kind of roles he plays, but in a show whose main humor (as naughty fun as it is) revolves around p**s, p***ses, v*****s, s**, BDSM and slews of other fetishes... I'd not at all be surprised if he drew the line somewhere.

If he did take the role, I'd think I'd lose a little respect for him, actually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yeah, almost forgot! /Completely OT Obligatory mention of Madoka (maybe that could be a FUNI license w/in the next 2 years...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

That was the show I instantly pegged as the inspiration because it also usually sucked with the occasionally good episode. Gainax probably should have tried to look for inspiration from something like South Park or Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, works that while adult doesn't need to rely entirely on one type of joke.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That was the show I instantly pegged as the inspiration because it also usually sucked with the occasionally good episode. Gainax probably should have tried to look for inspiration from something like South Park or Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, works that while adult doesn't need to rely entirely on one type of joke.

It's not that he meant that the show itself inspired Gainax to make Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

It's that "we [Gainax] couldn’t believe they were showing such explicit things on tv….. I thought…why don’t we do that!”

So I don't think they really watched much of Drawn Together. It was just the revelation itself that inspired them. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6