• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Panorama of Hell

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally read this column, but I had to give you props on this one. Hino's one of my favorite mangakai, and I absolutely loved Panorama of Hell. The twist at the end is fantastic.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I am so, so jealous. I've managed to get hold of everything else that Hino has had released in English - even the dual-language Japanese art book that Last Gasp distributed - but I've never managed to find Panorama Of Hell at anything approaching a reasonable price.

Going by the write-up, it sounds quite similar to The Red Snake and that can only be a good thing.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I love this column. Fascinating review and an equally fascinating and disturbing manga, I'm sure. I'm not sure I'll ever had the nerve to give it a chance, I might have to draw the line with Junji Itou.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Out of print?

You tease!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
Wow. That was....depressing.

/Besides, the hell painter got it wrong. It's not death that is hell. We all know that hell is other people.
Jure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
Great article. I have 6 Hino's books and his artbook. I do plan to buy some more of his works, but I have yet to find Panorama of Hell. I did read it though and I personally loved it. For me, Hideshi Hino, Kazuo Umezu and Junji Ito are best horror trio in history of manga.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
You eerily went from dark and depressing to plugging your shirt.
jimpac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I've never managed to find Panorama Of Hell at anything approaching a reasonable price.

There is one used copy (very good condition) on Amazon.co.uk for about £21 with postage and packaging. I guess that may seem a little steep but I would say it's worth it.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You eerily went from dark and depressing to plugging your shirt.

That's actually been at the end of the column for the last month, I wasn't just inspired to plug myself by Panorama of Hell. (Actually, this is the last week you'll see the fan art contest plug anyway, since the contest ends this weekend.)
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Wow. That was....depressing.

/Besides, the hell painter got it wrong. It's not death that is hell. We all know that hell is other people.

He covers that part too... (And actually, the "Death is hell" line is mine, it isn't in the script. But I think it makes sense when you read it.)
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I am so, so jealous. I've managed to get hold of everything else that Hino has had released in English - even the dual-language Japanese art book that Last Gasp distributed - but I've never managed to find Panorama Of Hell at anything approaching a reasonable price.

Going by the write-up, it sounds quite similar to The Red Snake and that can only be a good thing.

The family drama is similar to The Red Snake, but the WWII stuff is different, and the frame story and the ending are different too. They're both excellent, but I'd give Panorama a slight edge.
scrumly1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to say thank for bringing up Stephen Gammell. His artwork came packaged in of those creepy stories for kids anthologies and I never could find out who did the pictures even though I still remember them bright as day 20 years later.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I wish this wasn't out of print so I could pick it up. I will have to try out some of his other works and I'm buying Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine 1880-1930 for sure.

Man, those pictures from Stephen Gammell still freak me out. I didn't recoginize the name, and thus did a google search. I can't figure out why such creepy pictures were put in a book for kids. I had nightmares for months after reading them in elementary school. And the stories, while creepy, weren't even that bad! It was all the art work!
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I've really wanted to get this one, but I haven't been able to find a copy and I try to limit how much I spend on out-of-of print manga. But so far I've had pretty good luck finding some things at conventions (especially the trading panels), and with Amazon it's a good idea to wait until the price dips a bit. That's how I was able to get a copy of Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show (another awesome horror manga published by Blast Books) $15 before it shot back up again.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
I've never managed to find Panorama Of Hell at anything approaching a reasonable price.

There is one used copy (very good condition) on Amazon.co.uk for about £21 with postage and packaging. I guess that may seem a little steep but I would say it's worth it.

Thanks. £21 is a bit over my limit for second hand manga - I try not to go past about £15 - but I'll keep an eye on it and grab it if it ever turns up a bit cheaper.
It's kind of odd that the other Hino book that Blast put out (Hell Baby) sells for next to nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1