• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Supernatural The Anime Ships in North America in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
The VA for dean is fine, but the only reason that i can see they aren't using jensen is is if he just didn't want to. I mean i don't blame him, if you've ever watched a behind the scenes of people dubbing it's hard work, especially if your not even used to it. You can tell that jared isn't good at it since his words often don't sync up with the lips.

Pretty sure he's used to it, since he has done voice work before in Batman:Under the Red Hood as The Red Hood, and he was in the Tron: Evolution video game.

And even live-action actors need to do ADR sometimes, which I would imagine would be harder than dubbing for anime, with its simple mouth movements.

I hate to say this, but Batman: Under the Red Hood is prelay, which means there is no finished animation and they dub to the actors performance, so Jensen Ackles never had to match lip flap.
Lucifiel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm, I'd wanted to get this anime but after reading the replies here, forget it. :p

(Not to bash anyone, not a very big anime fan so i'd thought this would be a safe choice. Turns out it won't be to my tastes, judging by the average response. )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lucifiel wrote:
Hmmmm, I'd wanted to get this anime but after reading the replies here, forget it. :p

(Not to bash anyone, not a very big anime fan so i'd thought this would be a safe choice. Turns out it won't be to my tastes, judging by the average response. )

If you're not a big anime fan, why would you give much weight to opinions of big anime fans? Laughing

I mean, there's a reason why you're not a big anime fan while they are, right? Because you have a different taste than them?

For example, big anime fans didn't think much of Resident Evil: Degeneration, but apparently big RE fans loved it enough that they made it by far the top selling anime of 2009, almost doubled the next best anime.
Lucifiel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: Oops, lol... I wasn't thinking properly just now? Crud. Laughing Yeah, I should give this a second look.

Though now that I've watched some of the previews, I think that there's a very big contrast in voice-acting. The problem is Jared is a very nuanced and heavily subtle actor but the other guy is so aggressive, Sam sounds very wimpy. The issue here is that both of the 2 voice-actors are very inexperienced so they're unable to adjust their nuances and presence to suit one another. Not very sure if this improves in the later episodes as I only watched a bit of a few episode previews. (Well, this issue does remind me of Supernatural Season One Jared and Jensen where both were... watchable but a bit wince-inducing at times, so I might let this go).

There also seems to be some sort of technical issue with Jared's voice too as it seems a bit muffled to my ears. It could be the issue of voice projection but I doubt so, as Jared's improved from "very soft" to "loud and audible", in terms of vocal clarity and consistency(from S1 to S6). I wonder if I'm hearing things, though.

Well, I tend to like certain types of anime like Satoshi Kon's and don't really enjoy most anime out there. :p I just prefer my writing to be very intellectual, layered and extremely thought-provoking. I guess if I'd time to find anime that was really deep(no, not Evangelion level), I'd be more inclined to like anime in general. I just don't have the time anymore. *sighs*

Plus as an Asian female, I get very exhausted of hearing and seeing some of those "gender moulds" which come across as heavy moralisation and a reminder to conform to a certain stereotype: to be a certain type of person. I find that a fair amount of anime has got that over-aggressive sort of male, whiny and clingy sort of female and a couple more other stereotypes. I wonder if this is because anime is often targetted at teenagers(hence the rather heavy-handed moralisation in some titles). I'm probably thinking too much? :p In manga though, I don't mind them so much 'cos I can skip or speed read through it whereas in anime, sometimes it's part of the writing. Of course, there're probably many titles which don't have such issues but like I said, time. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3