• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Finale Earns 2.3% Rating in Osaka Area

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
Is 2.3% even notable?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
At that time of the day yeah.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote
Basically, a 2.3% rating and a 22.6% share - that's a big difference.
At 3am on Friday morning - a lot of red-eye workers that morning commute, assuming they even showed up for work or have jobs. Laughing
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
I know I stayed up past 3AM to watch the finale episode - after doing a marathon of the eleven episodes leading up to it (had to see what the fuss was all about...).

It's still neat that episodes air at that timeslot. Only a handful of shows air around that time in the States, and they're not usually anime series...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
I know I stayed up past 3AM to watch the finale episode - after doing a marathon of the eleven episodes leading up to it (had to see what the fuss was all about...).

It's still neat that episodes air at that timeslot. Only a handful of shows air around that time in the States, and they're not usually anime series...

there's a joke about "otaku o'clock" after all-- a lot of anime airs in the wee hours of the morning. If you're up late enough that anime starts coming on, you're not going to wake up on time tomorrow!

Anyway, I think that preempting Madoka was rather a boon for the ratings Wink But that's ok, because it's an awesome series, easily last season's best, and the ending was pretty cool.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
bleuster wrote:

there's a joke about "otaku o'clock" after all-- a lot of anime airs in the wee hours of the morning. If you're up late enough that anime starts coming on, you're not going to wake up on time tomorrow!

Anyway, I think that preempting Madoka was rather a boon for the ratings Wink But that's ok, because it's an awesome series, easily last season's best, and the ending was pretty cool.

Easily one of the best in recent years, in my opinion. spoiler[Though they got the title wrong....should've been called Homura. By far the best character in the show and the main focus.Other than Madoka becoming God...the show was more about Homura.]
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Saturn wrote:
bleuster wrote:

Easily one of the best in recent years, in my opinion. spoiler[Though they got the title wrong....should've been called Homura. By far the best character in the show and the main focus.Other than Madoka becoming God...the show was more about Homura.]

I disagree. spoiler[It was about both of them, really. ]

And yeah, I think the delay proved to be just the right amount of time. Too long and people may have lost interest, but I think the wait's length was just right to hype people up.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Homura rose to become one of my favorite anime characters of all time.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Taking all these ratings and the tremendous popularity of the show at large into consideration... just how much might money would SHAFT/Aniplex/etc. want to get out of a license out of this overseas? Do you guys think it would be abnormally high enough to give other companies some pause? I'm sure that if Aniplex USA produced the dub and released it themselves, it wouldn't be a problem.... (or does Aniplex have enough of a cozy relationship with FUNI that it probably wouldn't be so bad for them to get it as well?)

Man, never have I been so excited about a show that I could consistently tell myself "I'll be sure to get it on DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out here in the States."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1