• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu, Viz Stream Occult Academy, Monster, Reborn!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not holding my breath for Reborn. Viz does terrible with it. The manga is on hiatus because no one likes their terrible translations and wants to even buy it. Most of Reborn fans also hate streaming sites, so Im predicting complete failure, manga getting dropped and the anime never licensed. Rolling Eyes
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
Good to see Monster getting released as a stream though.

The entire series has been on Hulu for quite a wile now, dubbed. This is just the first time it's been available subtitled.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime is becoming more a commodity now, like a normal TV show, in that people can watch it but only the popular enough anime shown will end up getting a DVD release. Confused
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I'm not holding my breath for Reborn. Viz does terrible with it. The manga is on hiatus because no one likes their terrible translations and wants to even buy it. Most of Reborn fans also hate streaming sites, so Im predicting complete failure, manga getting dropped and the anime never licensed. Rolling Eyes

You're just a ball of sunshine when it comes to this show, Kaz. Rolling Eyes
sam6782

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Aww, dont be such a stick in the mud Razz, true, that the translations arent really the best that they could be but in my opinion i kinda found some of the stuff that they say funny. Anyway, i think this could be good chance to get new people into Reborn! and a perfect way to rewatch the series(thats just me i guess) and support Viz's stream for it.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

You're just a ball of sunshine when it comes to this show, Kaz. Rolling Eyes

*Dislikes feeling left out so he Rolling Eyes too*

Why do so many companies use U.S. only Hulu? It just feels like Crunchyroll and Funimation are the only companies who actually care about their fans outside of the U.S. I don't see Viz announcing with their streams that people in other countries can watch their shows.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Why do so many companies use U.S. only Hulu?
Probably because many of the companies are only licensing for the US.

For some inexplicable (in my opinion) reason, Canada and Mexico are separate licenses generally than US for North America and I don't have a clue how the European licenses are handled, let alone any of the other glorious nations out there where love of anime has spread. It really screws a lot of good fans out of legit access and doesn't do anything to hurt the illegit cheaters.

Global access people. Cheap global licenses plus a cut of the ad revenue. You might actually compete with the leeches then.

Meh, what do I know, I'm just a consumer. Wink

And @ everyone downing Kazemon15's post: guys, face reality, VIZ will either not put out Reborn or if they do it will end up an incomplete release ala Monster. VIZ is not your friend.

Here's hoping for Durarara style hybrid release for Occult Academy.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
And @ everyone downing Kazemon15's post: guys, face reality, VIZ will either not put out Reborn or if they do it will end up an incomplete release ala Monster. VIZ is not your friend.

Quoted For Truth!

For those looking to buy Kekkaishi, you guys better hope that they don't drop those sets.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if this means that Aniplex will eventually give Occult Academy a physical release like it has for Durarara!!?

The original press release for the simulcast made mention of "potential future home video release (company yet undetermined)", so it did have me wondering the same.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
This kind of ties into this week's Answerman question. Since Viz has the license and has already done the work for Monster, why don't they release it as a limited edition, pre-order run or something? It doesn't have to have any fancy frills or anything. I'd love for them to do that for Hikaru no Go too.

Still, I am grateful that I can watch them online.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Quoted For Truth!

For those looking to buy Kekkaishi, you guys better hope that they don't drop those sets.

Also this sadly any series that is not called Naruto, Bleach, Inyuasha, or Vampire Knight will most likely be dropped and this will lead to angering the fans. Only way Reborn! will do well if they license it and they put it on Adult Swim with Bleach or Disney X D with Naruto. Anyways it would sound like a title that would do good on mainstream if its not in the graveyard time slot.

I stopped caring about Viz along time ago although I might still buy some of their Shojo Beat manga. The way they are going now as soon as the anime/manga I mentioned above ends they are going to sink faster than the Titanic.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone will ever do anything with Reborn in the US?
Doesn't look very likely when FUNi got the newer Fairy Tail and Viz can't even finish a long series...
Guess this means extended sites for streaming are good news...
sam6782

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Quoted For Truth!

Also this sadly any series that is not called Naruto, Bleach, Inyuasha, or Vampire Knight will most likely be dropped and this will lead to angering the fans. Only way Reborn! will do well if they license it and they put it on Adult Swim with Bleach or Disney X D with Naruto. Anyways it would sound like a title that would do good on mainstream if its not in the graveyard time slot.

I stopped caring about Viz along time ago although I might still buy some of their Shojo Beat manga. The way they are going now as soon as the anime/manga I mentioned above ends they are going to sink faster than the Titanic.

Totally agree, Reborn! MUST BE ON TV if has a chance of doing well in the US!!, it could fit on Disney Anime hyper or even Toonzai
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I might actually finish KHR! before too long if it's gonna be streaming on Hulu, lol. Same with Monster.

I don't really see Reborn! ever being on TV? Because from what I've heard, the beginning chunk of episodes are rather meandering and it doesn't get good until further in - and that's rather risky to show an anime on network TV with poor opening episodes that might not grab enough viewers for the long run. [/two cents]
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
I might actually finish KHR! before too long if it's gonna be streaming on Hulu, lol. Same with Monster.

I don't really see Reborn! ever being on TV? Because from what I've heard, the beginning chunk of episodes are rather meandering and it doesn't get good until further in - and that's rather risky to show an anime on network TV with poor opening episodes that might not grab enough viewers for the long run. [/two cents]

If I remember Naruto was like that too with poor opening episodes so poor that after episode 20 I dropped it, but then again that is my personal opinion others might of found it enjoying.

Who knows it might do enough good to hook people, but I would understand it being risky. Although it would be nice if VIZ gave it a shot.

I just hope it doesn't get a sub-only release I despise buying sub-only series excluding movies I don't mind if they are, but full series I just don't like it cause 9/10 I already seen the series subbed 10+ times depending how good the series is and it turns me off to the DVDs since it most likely going to be the same translation except slightly better and crappy non-existent extras. Thats why I prefer dubbed the translations are slightly different from the subtitled version I notice that when I turn on the subtitles while watching it dubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3