Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu, Viz Stream Occult Academy, Monster, Reborn!


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
the_seventh_l



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 108
Location: Florissant, MO
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
the_seventh_l wrote:
I might actually finish KHR! before too long if it's gonna be streaming on Hulu, lol. Same with Monster.

I don't really see Reborn! ever being on TV? Because from what I've heard, the beginning chunk of episodes are rather meandering and it doesn't get good until further in - and that's rather risky to show an anime on network TV with poor opening episodes that might not grab enough viewers for the long run. [/two cents]


If I remember Naruto was like that too with poor opening episodes so poor that after episode 20 I dropped it, but then again that is my personal opinion others might of found it enjoying.


The thing is that comparing KHR to Naruto doesn't work in the respect that by the time the Naruto anime came to American shores, it already had a good sized fanbase and the manga had been publishing in English for almost three years. KHR doesn't have a big enough fanbase in the States to warrant the series being an assured hit as Naruto was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
the_seventh_l



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 108
Location: Florissant, MO
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
the_seventh_l wrote:



The thing is that comparing KHR to Naruto doesn't work in the respect that by the time the Naruto anime came to American shores, it already had a good sized fanbase and the manga had been publishing in English for almost three years. KHR doesn't have a big enough fanbase in the States to warrant the series being an assured hit as Naruto was.


Actually, that is not true. KHR does have a big fanbase. It's one of the most cosplayed anime at cons. It's just that most of the fanbase is too petty to support anything and buy the actual content.


I stand corrected. I guess I meant to say it doesn't have a fanbase willing to pay for the series, unlike Naruto's fanbase who will throw money at anything with the series name on it aka one fanbase will mean more to an anime distributor than another for obvious reasons. So putting a series like KHR! on TV is rather risky when compared to Naruto which there is a dedicated and large group of followers with enough disposable income to make it worth while.

Side note: I haven't seen a lot of KHR cosplay at the cons I've been at. Wonder why? :<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kazemon15



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:


Side note: I haven't seen a lot of KHR cosplay at the cons I've been at. Wonder why? :<


Huh my post got deleted somehow....oh well.

But anyway, that's because they don't usually stick out. Most of the cosplayers are dressed normally since the Reborn characters dress farily normal, so it's easy to mistaken a Reborn cosplayer as a person who is just dressed normally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toddler Naruto



Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Posts: 503
Location: Fair Oaks, California
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
*is waiting for a bilingual home release of katekyo hitman reborn* Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sam6782



Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
*is waiting for a bilingual home release of katekyo hitman reborn* Very Happy


Same here bro, wonder who could voice Reborn! if Viz decides to give it a dub
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Why do so many companies use U.S. only Hulu?
Probably because many of the companies are only licensing for the US.

For some inexplicable (in my opinion) reason, Canada and Mexico are separate licenses generally than US for North America and I don't have a clue how the European licenses are handled, let alone any of the other glorious nations out there where love of anime has spread. It really screws a lot of good fans out of legit access and doesn't do anything to hurt the illegit cheaters.


Actually no, it doesn't work that way with anime. Generally when a company like Funimation, Viz, or Sentai license a title for the R1 market they get rights for both the US and Canada. These rights generally include streaming to both markets, as long as they are negotiated for and included in the contract.

Its entirely different when dealing with American TV shows and movies, as the studios treat them as separate markets and require a separate license for each. Not to mention that in Canada a different may own the rights, which would require separate negotiations. That's why Hulu is currently only in the US.

As for why pretty much all the R1's use Hulu in one fashion or another, it's because it's an easy and efficient way to embed a stream with commercials to your site. It's much quicker and simpler than programming and embedding your own player and attempting to sell commercial time on your own.

I know Anime Network uses Hulu for free streams in the US, but Canadian and Premium Subscribers are directed to their native player (JW Player) and are commercial free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khadijah1415



Joined: 19 Feb 2011
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I love REBORN!! I really hope the anime has a part 2, the manga makes it seem like it will, but I looked at up coming series and it wasn't there. Maybe it will follow Gintama and do the 203 episodes wait a while then continue? Question Probably not but an awesome anime either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kazemon15



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
khadijah1415 wrote:
I love REBORN!! I really hope the anime has a part 2, the manga makes it seem like it will, but I looked at up coming series and it wasn't there. Maybe it will follow Gintama and do the 203 episodes wait a while then continue? Question Probably not but an awesome anime either way.


Sadly, it isn't going to happen. The anime basically flopped in Japan because they were barely breaking even with their DVD releases.


So a second part of Reborn will be slim to none.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toddler Naruto



Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Posts: 503
Location: Fair Oaks, California
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
sam6782 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
*is waiting for a bilingual home release of katekyo hitman reborn* Very Happy


Same here, wonder who could voice Reborn! if Viz decides to give it a dub


As long as Viz media dubs the show, I'm happy Very Happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
These rights generally include streaming to both markets, as long as they are negotiated for and included in the contract.

Its entirely different when dealing with American TV shows and movies, as the studios treat them as separate markets and require a separate license for each.
My understanding of what I'd read about licenses differs. From what I read, the Japanese do consider US and Canada separate licenses but the R1 companies tend to license for both since distribution to Canada is relatively easy.

You imply the same when you say they have to be negotiated for and included in the contract. If they were packaged with the US rights, then there be no need to negotiate or include them separately.

For the sake of argument though, I'll assume you're right. The question becomes "why does Canada get shafted if the companies have the rights?" It would seem then to be a matter of the service they use for streaming right? So in that case, Hulu would be violating their contract with the R1 companies if they were contracted to provide the streaming content in both the US and Canada. The lack of a breach of contract suit or at least Funimation constantly telling fans "it's not our fault, Hulu isn't doing what they're supposed to" I'm going to have to come to the conclusion that Hulu isn't being contracted to provide the streams for Canada.

Frankly I think not having Hulu distribute the streams in Canada makes less sense than Funi simply not having paid for the streaming rights in Canada to begin with. I admit I could be wrong though since I don't know enough about the trade's usage and customs.

Whatever the cause, I think it sucks for our Canadian brothers and sister in anime fandom. That's why when I give away stuff on my blog, I say I'll ship anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group