• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wasted my time watching this anime show:_______________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
IchigoSasuke52 wrote:
i wasted my time watching Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE. not because it was a bad anime series, oh no i liked it a lot. but if someone would of told me instead of finding out myself after watching the entire thing that it would just end mid series and not even continue, then i wouldnt have watched and really gotten into it. this sucks lol

Probably because it completely rips off another anime. Maybe, oh I don't know, *cough* Inuyasha *cough*.

Anyways, Serial Experiments Lain isn't One Piece. Nothing is solved for you and you're not gonna see Lain want meat every other episode. It's an anime that requires thinking outside the box and there are clues to what's happening throughout the entire series, you just have to look for those as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Probably because it completely rips off another anime. Maybe, oh I don't know, *cough* Inuyasha *cough*.

For about halfway through the manga, I SUPPOSE I could see a bit of a comparison to Inuyasha (looking for mystical items on a quest, but that's about it. And if that's all it takes to be a rip-off, then Inuyasha is a "rip-off" of a ton of JRPGs).

Then the Tokyo arc starts.............
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I could only make it through four an a half episodes of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? before giveing up before I popped a blood vessel or something. the charcters are just so cliche and one demensional I just couldn't force myself to watch it anymore.

Also Evangelion I wouldn't say it was a waste of time just a massive let down. To have something built up so much and ultmitelly the message is something you'd find in a issue of Shonen Jump it's well done but seriouslly 26 episodes and the message is estentally "Belive in yourself and trust people..."

What! all that build up and the whole message is that wrapped in a bunch of psudio relgious imagery and frudian psycholgy?

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Megiddo"]
Clannad ~After Story~: I enjoy Key works, but the spoiler[Deus Ex Machina ending of After Story was such BS. Why couldn't Tomoya had just used his leap in character growth to gain the resolve to look after Ushio? Of if there had to be magical lights, then why not just revive Ushio and/or Tomoya in the snow, instead of that time travel crap? Nagisa coming back just ruined that series for me. ]

I'm probablly one of the few people that actually likes the Deus Ex Machina ending. I mean seriouslly after everything Tomoya went through I was just thinking "I dont care how just give the man a happy ending." I can understand how it seems like a cop out I just dont care that if it is a cop out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

I'm probablly one of the few people that actually likes the Deus Ex Machina ending. I mean seriouslly after everything Tomoya went through I was just thinking "I don't care how just give the man a happy ending." I can understand how it seems like a cop out I just don't care that if it is a cop out.

I'm just constantly annoyed that people think of it as a Deus Ex Machina. It was set up to be resolved in this way from the beginning and the only thing that is wrong with the 2nd season is that it so distracted you from this set-up that everyone forgot about it. spoiler[Instead they bogged it down in excess misery to such an extent that people somehow preferred it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I wasted my time seeing some of, Loveless.

I did not enjoy that show at all and called it quits three into. This is rare for me to do.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched all of The Sacred Blacksmith on Hulu a while ago because the premise appealed to me, I had just finished rather enjoying Claymore and Theron Martin's review was promising, but what it amounted to was a dozen episodes of disappointment and irritation. I was ceaselessly disappointed by the portrayal of protagonist as an incompetent-to-marginally competent ambulatory boob joke. Meanwhile, I found little interest in the supporting cast, despite a few possibly worthwhile ideas. None of them seemed very interesting or compelling when they interacted with one another. It wasted its rather limited length too. The story arcs are move among abruptly and there are a distressing number of wasted scenes, even a wasted episode or two. It also feels like it's the first season of something with characters meant to be revisited and an ending that doesn't feel decisive. Even so, I couldn't surrender and stop watching it. I even tried to rationalize it at first as, "not that bad," but it was. The animation is pretty good, I appreciated the relative realism of the weapon designs and the character designs, idiotic armor notwithstanding, span from respectable to good, I just wish that there had been more virtues elsewhere... or that I could stop being so stubborn about finishing these things.

A further demonstration of my irresponsible stubbornness is that weeks ago I watched all of Saber Marionette, except for Saber Marionette R, because I bought this blasted thing for some reason when I was a college freshman and I had resolved to review my entire collection since I had left it all mostly idle for years. The first series wasted some of my time and isn't great, but I have some affection left for it, but then there was Saber Marionette J Again and Saber Marionette J to X; a nigh ceaseless parade of banality and vapidity that almost made me put everything back in the boxes under my bed and go watch A Bit of Fry & Laurie over again. I sometimes watched eight episodes in a night, which was almost all of my evening, just so it would go away faster. Ultimately, I suffered through it all and I won't do that again. I really, really need to learn to give up. Thank mercy that the rest of what I bought eight years ago has been mostly satisfactory and never bad.

I also watched all of Ikki Tousen on Hulu once when I was depressed. I could have done without that incoherent, prurient mess. I felt like I sacrificed a piece of my soul by watching that. Things like that happen when I'm depressed. That's why I watched Lucky Star too, although that was mostly harmless and Lucky Channel was amusing.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
Gentry

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
What particular facet of Serial Experiments Lain would you like to examine? Would you like discuss the use of indeterminacy as opposed to ambiguity in the narrative? Did the focus on defining a traditional gender role for Lain peak your interest? Perhaps, you prefer to analyze the narrative from a strictly postmodernist approach? Did you find the clash between ideological concerns of collectivist culture verse those of an individualistic ideology deeply fascinating?
Whatever approach you wish to begin your dissection of this cyberpunk masterpiece from is completely up to you, and I would love to hear your interpretive claims regarding many of the underlying themes present in Serial Experiments Lain.

I’m going to bed at the moment, so I’m not going to be able to give you an immediate response. However, if you wish to explore Serial Experiments Lain at greater length, I suggest reading Hellkorn’s posts under this thread ANN Book Club.
He/she does a wonderful job at breaking down Lain episode by episode. And while I did not agree with all of the interpretative claims, I still found it to be very astute and a well constructed take on the show.
Haha look at this fella waving his willy about trying to impress everyone.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
GeminiDS85 wrote:
What particular facet of Serial Experiments Lain would you like to examine? Would you like discuss the use of indeterminacy as opposed to ambiguity in the narrative? Did the focus on defining a traditional gender role for Lain peak your interest? Perhaps, you prefer to analyze the narrative from a strictly postmodernist approach? Did you find the clash between ideological concerns of collectivist culture verse those of an individualistic ideology deeply fascinating?
Whatever approach you wish to begin your dissection of this cyberpunk masterpiece from is completely up to you, and I would love to hear your interpretive claims regarding many of the underlying themes present in Serial Experiments Lain.

I’m going to bed at the moment, so I’m not going to be able to give you an immediate response. However, if you wish to explore Serial Experiments Lain at greater length, I suggest reading Hellkorn’s posts under this thread ANN Book Club.
He/she does a wonderful job at breaking down Lain episode by episode. And while I did not agree with all of the interpretative claims, I still found it to be very astute and a well constructed take on the show.

Haha, look at this fella disparaging someone with a great appreciation for a show that has actual depth.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
*stuff about the The Sacred Blacksmith *

I also felt I kind of wasted my time with the Sacred Blacksmith. The reason I first watched it was because I felt like a fantasy anime at the time, and vaguely recalled reading about a series based on a light novel series, one that had gotten so-so comments in ANN's preview guide, but had gotten very postive comments in the forums. Comments indicating that the rest of the series was actually pretty good and the first episode was a bad indication of what the series was like.

I just couldn't remember the name, or even when it had aired, but found the Sacred Blacksmith in the preview guide and thought, "this must be it." Turns out it was actually The Legend of the Legendary Heroes I was thinking of, though I have to wonder how I managed to forget a name like that.

Anyways, I watched episode 1 of The Sacred Blacksmith, and it was... ok. So I figured if that was a bad indication of the series true quality, like I (thought) I had heard, the the rest of the series must be pretty nice. But then episode 2 was pretty much the same thing as episode 1. And so was episode 3, and episode 4, and by that time I realized that this wasn't the series I had been thinking of, but I was already a third of the way through it.

In the end, it wasn't really that bad, but was just aggressively mediocre and thus rather boring. There were a couple aspects of the series that kept me watching, but I've already forgetton what they were. I was rather surprised when I read Theron's positive review. I would have expected a C+ at most for it.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Avenger had the most boring first four episode I've ever seen in my life, it was a big waste of my time.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:

So, let us try and get at the root of this dilemma. I can presume from your post that you are either flummoxed by Serial Experiments Lain, you have an issue with me personally, or you are lashing out in order to suppress some deep seeded psychological issue.

If the problem pertains to Serial Experiments Lain, perhaps, I can be of assistance in helping you comprehend some of the more ambiguous parts of the narrative. If the problem stems from a dislike or hatred of me personally, I would like to know what I have done to offend you, so I may take the necessary steps to rectify this dilemma. If the problem pertains to some sort of psychological issue, perhaps, I can again be of assistance. If you would like to talk about your problems and why you have the uncontrollable need to lash out at people, please, feel free to PM me. I’m sure with our combined powers we can find a way to solve this dilemma.
Wink
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Gentry wrote:

So, let us try and get at the root of this dilemma. I can presume from your post that you are either flummoxed by Serial Experiments Lain, you have an issue with me personally, or you are lashing out in order to suppress some deep seeded psychological issue.

If the problem pertains to Serial Experiments Lain, perhaps, I can be of assistance in helping you comprehend some of the more ambiguous parts of the narrative. If the problem stems from a dislike or hatred of me personally, I would like to know what I have done to offend you, so I may take the necessary steps to rectify this dilemma. If the problem pertains to some sort of psychological issue, perhaps, I can again be of assistance. If you would like to talk about your problems and why you have the uncontrollable need to lash out at people, please, feel free to PM me. I’m sure with our combined powers we can find a way to solve this dilemma.
Wink
Oh lordy, lord is your willy huge. I'm impressed.

[EDIT: That's enough with the "willy" comments. - Key]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4