• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The art style is unique because of its use of high-contrast drawings and shading. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it on Blu-ray, especially if they include the short omake episodes.

I do think that Motto To Love-Ru will probably be announced for release by Sentai Filmworks probably at Anime Expo in July.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
And, for two, Claymore was originally ran in Weekly Shounen Jump, and it has a female main character.
And, and awesome anime, ta boot.

Close, but no cigar. Claymore ran in Monthly Shonen Jump, not Weekly, which was then transformed into Jump Square.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching this show after the two episodes TAN did their first two for free, rest for pay streaming thing. I enjoyed what I saw though. Maybe this coming out means it'll end up on Hulu or Netflix like some of their other recent shows have.

hunterLanda wrote:
That's good Sentai, but what about Minami-ke or Mitsudomoe

This, but I don't think any of those shows fit in with the type of stuff Sentai has been licensing in the past year or two.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah, now I remember: Samurai Girls was the show I dropped after 4 minutes because of it's Nationalist "expel the foreign devils" subtext. Perhaps I'll get over my unwarranted prejudice and watch it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I stopped watching this show after the two episodes TAN did their first two for free, rest for pay streaming thing. I enjoyed what I saw though. Maybe this coming out means it'll end up on Hulu or Netflix like some of their other recent shows have.

hunterLanda wrote:

This, but I don't think any of those shows fit in with the type of stuff Sentai has been licensing in the past year or two.

I don't know about that. They've had a pretty good mix, and have a little bit of everything with the notable exception of any mecha series. Plus, they've proven that they're license choices can be very hard to guess.

Anyway, I think the article is a little mis-leading in saying Section 23 added Samurai Girls, when they have had it for a while. Sentai has only been simulcasting shows they have full licenses to and plan on releasing on home video. So far, all of them have been dubbed, with the exception of Maid-Sama (which is probably the one I would love to see dubbed most.) Of course, Samurai Girls apparently did well in streaming and on VOD, so I'm not surprised to see it get dubbed.

I will be grabbing everything, with the exception of Neo Angelique, which I already have the first collection of. But at least this means the second collection should go on clearance soon, just like Clannad and Princess Resurrection.
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
That show was surprisingly decent. But I won't be rushing to preorder it, though. At least until I hear what they're gonna do about the OVAs. I'll get it eventually. Probably
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Man, Sentai/Section 23 really hates anime with male leads don't they?

Well it don't matter to me alongs it's in English dub.

Also does it really matter if a male is not a lead?

However I've yet to see one for a shouen Jump series. Was kinda hoping the next yugioh series that the main was a girl.

For one, Muneakira is a male, and I would have considered him the lead in the show. It mainly focused on him and the harem around him, sans it being a harem show.

And, for two, Claymore was originally ran in Weekly Shounen Jump, and it has a female main character.

Close, but no cigar. Claymore ran in Monthly Shonen Jump, not Weekly, which was then transformed into Jump Square.

Which was the reason why I posted that almost every single Shouen Jump series have never had one female lead. It's always been teenage boys. Also it's a good thing i think that once in a while a series is taken out of the box instead of using the stats quoe.

It's definitely not gonna hurt the series cause a guy dont necessarily HAVE to be in a lead for every single harem series.

Especially like this one and there is the Yuri part of me since I'm a die hard yuri junkie that is all for it. Though it would have been interesting if it was a Yuri harem series. Similar like in Shoujo Sect Innoncent Lovers.

Now that would have yuri fans out in spades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
As long as there's no ink blots, I'd buy it because I like cute girls and ecchis. :p

But yeah, I'd agree with some others on about taking a break from ecchi genre anime and go for some normal anime like Minami-ke.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Man, Sentai/Section 23 really hates anime with male leads don't they?

Well it don't matter to me alongs it's in English dub.

Also does it really matter if a male is not a lead?

However I've yet to see one for a shouen Jump series. Was kinda hoping the next yugioh series that the main was a girl.

For one, Muneakira is a male, and I would have considered him the lead in the show. It mainly focused on him and the harem around him, sans it being a harem show.

Which was the reason why I posted that almost every single Shouen Jump series have never had one female lead. It's always been teenage boys. Also it's a good thing i think that once in a while a series is taken out of the box instead of using the stats quoe.

It's definitely not gonna hurt the series cause a guy don't necessarily HAVE to be in a lead for every single harem series.

Especially like this one and there is the Yuri part of me since I'm a die hard yuri junkie that is all for it. Though it would have been interesting if it was a Yuri harem series. Similar like in Shoujo Sect Innoncent Lovers.

Now that would have yuri fans out in spades.

Ok, my bad, I meant monthly. But jr0904 said shounen jump series, not weekly shounen jump series. So my correction was still correct, Razz
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

hunterLanda wrote:

Mitsudomoe might be pushing it. As amazing as the show was I can't see it doing very well in the states both sales and on a publicity basis. While doubtful, I will laugh and murder something simultaneously if Madoka is picked up by someone like Sentai or Section23...let alone any A-level SHAFT work. Each episode, I'm betting costs $40000 to acquire if the average is $20000 per episode.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This show was incredibly boring. COME ON S23! Except for Highschool of the Dead, so far you've got nothing I want this year (and even then I hate the HOTD dub - it's just barely worth buying for me).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
This show was incredibly boring. COME ON S23! Except for Highschool of the Dead, so far you've got nothing I want this year (and even then I hate the HOTD dub - it's just barely worth buying for me).

That's pretty much the same way I feel about Funimation...lol

Sorry, specific companies don't make their licensing decisions based on the whims of one specific consumer.

Also, don't forget that your concerns about the HOTD dub are being addressed, and it's being reworked prior to it's release. The writing and added lines you didn't like are going away.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had time to look into things since I ranted on TAN, since I've been so busy with school. Uh, let's not go any further into that. Anime hyper
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Yay for dub. Even sexy anime chicks do not guarantee a dub (Simoun and Koihime Musou come to mind).

Regarding Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls, I'm actually hoping that the ink blots remain as a bonus alternate angle or sub option. I haven't seen the show yet and would like to watch with the ink blots first before rewatching it uncensored. The pics I've seen make the censorship seem artistic.

I also prefer to not watch online streams due to buffering. I also prefer to see shows english dubbed when possible.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
Looks kind of interesting,I've always had a soft spot for period pieces like this, and I will have to pick up Kobato, if only to complete my CLAMP collection. Night Raid is kind of a toss up since I heard it was kind of iffy. But I will probably pick up all of them. Oh well!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4