• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Firms Pitch New Yu-Gi-Oh! at Licensing Expo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, shopping already ... I hope someone picks it up for American release.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Viz is most likely going to get it unless Funimation's association with 4Kids didn't hurt their chances.

Probably doesn't matter which company is going to get it.

It'll still probably get dubbed and receive a TV deal (wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the contract).

Even if it wasn't, the company would be fools not to and miss out on all that children's merchandise money that 4Kids was counting all these years. Very Happy

If it gets an uncut/unedited DVD release I might consider buying it.

The promos didn't look very good so I haven't started watching yet; looks worse than GX or maybe 5D's was too good of a spin-off series and set the bar too high for future series.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully it gets licensed by a respectable company who will treat it will re-ah, just kidding, Nelvana is going to get it like they did Bakugan and Beyblade, and it'll be terrible.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Nelvana seems pretty likely, but I'm hoping that Viz manages to pick it up. Viz actually has actors that can, you know, act...

I do hope 4Kids pulls through this though. They've lost Pokemon, Ninja Turtles and now Yugioh...they don't really have any other big titles. Maybe their Toonzai branch can release uncut dvds...pfft.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
Hahahahaha, Yugi-Oh's and 4Kids' booths couldn't be so much farther apart from each other at the Expo! Laughing

Nobody's gonna pick up Yugi-Oh's license unless they can get a TV deal from a network, most likely CN or Disney X-D.
Siliva

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
Nelvana seems highly unlikely as Beyblade: Metal Fusion and Bakugan were both shows that they co-produced with Japan anyway.

I'm pulling for Viz. They already own the licenses to the manga, and it would surely be easier to have one less company to go through.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well hopefully it gets licensed by a respectable company who will treat it will re-ah, just kidding, Nelvana is going to get it like they did Bakugan and Beyblade, and it'll be terrible.

FINALLY!! Someone here other than me that their bad when it comes to dubbing anime.

However there's no way TV Tokyo is gonna make the same mistake again since their no better than 4kids.

Either way I hope this Expo TV Tokyo doing goes without a hitch and their lawsuit finally gets rid of 4kids once and for all.

Hopefully they'll be able to license it to a better company and soon before these fansubbers do too much damage.

I expect it'll definitely be Viz Media , Not Viz Kids gets the license, and everyone here including me pray that it does happen and as for a TV Broadcast I'm preety sure it might be on CN,

however if Viz decides to do a Naruto Shippuden and give it to cough cough Disney X D , then I rather have another company ( namely Funi ) to license

it's better that than another butchered series all in the name to market it to kids,or worse: The license is given to the semi par sub only companies Media Blasters and/or Section 23/Sentai Filmworks ( who gave sub only releases to Gintama and Eyeshield 21 ) and/or Nozumi Animation/Right Stuff Media.

and FYI , I definitely DO NOT want Nelvana to get the license. I rather take a dub version from Animax Asia ( which have some goos english dubs like Hayate the Combat Butler & K-ON! and some medicore dubs ) than one from that 4kids clone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1