• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime on DVD/BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
While I can't say I'm particularly interested in this title, I am glad to see that Funi is taking into account fan feedback when making decisions on titles like this that could prove to be a hard sell. Of course, the real test will be to see, like has been stated here, whether or not the sales figures come anywhere close to the poll numbers they received. Or if said figures would be released so they could be compared. At any rate, I do hope this succeeds because it would be nice to have input on future license acquisitions in the future.
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm a little surprised we've heard nothing about Tatami Galaxy though, I thought that did pretty well for them.
If you go by the Youtube counts, it doesn't look like it. At least in comparison to the other two shows that FUNimation has picked up from noitaminA that were streamed on YT:

First Episode

Tatami Galaxy-23,500 views (note that this was at the start of the noitaminA deal with FUNimation last year)
Princess Jellyfish-37,000 views
Fractale-22,555 views

Sixth Episode

Tatami Galaxy- 3,250 views
Princess Jellyfish-13,000 views
Fractale-5,360 views

Final Episode

Tatami Galaxy-3,270 views
Princess Jellyfish-10,860 views
Fractale-4,770 views

So even a show like Fractale that got a lukewarm reception has been doing better than Tatami Galaxy in a much shorter amount of time. Tatami was far from my favorite show by Yuasa, but I'd still like for somebody to release anything directed by the guy. Tatami seems to have the best shot at that, but even those chances doesn't look too good. Even House of Five Leaves did better (not that that's been picked up either, but I'd sooner expect it to be picked up first instead of Tatami).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thenextday

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
Like...y'know...Tatami Galaxy.

I'm just going to pretend that Funi is saving the best for last.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of friends who love Princess Jellyfish, so they're gonna flip once they hear this news!
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I hope they do more of those fan surveys in the future, if it makes this big a difference. Looking forward to owning this.

I totally agree. I would really love to see Funimation pick more titles based on input from fans.

And since I can't resist a plug...I'd love to see Ef ~a tale of memories~ get a chance next! Razz
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Based on number of views comparisons alone that Braves pointed out, it makes sense why Funimation isn't announcing any home video release for Tatmi Galaxy or even House of Five Leaves. For the record, I like both shows and I would like to see a home video release myself. However if not enough of a demand for the show being released on home video isn't made perfectly clear to Funimation, then of course there won't be a physical release. And I don't think just demanding it here in the forums isn't really as effective as say voting in the surveys that Funimation gave out on their websites.

I think the problem isn't that Funimation doesn't care so much as it is that not enough people seemed to be interested in Tatami Galaxy. And even if they are, they don't seem to be interested enough to buy it on DVD/Blu-ray. And to be fair, I can sort of imagine why. Again, I like both Tatmi Galaxy and House of Five Leaves, but they seem to more or less target the same people who're into obscure/bland independent films. At least that's my impression.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Although I've never heard of the show, this is why I buy from Funimation. They actually listen to the fans and take action. I can not tell how many times I've heard of people filling out surveys or writing emails to various companies (Sentai, Bandai etc.) and either never getting a response back or ignore the end results of the surveys.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beelzebub licensed by Funimation some time soon, now that would get me excited and would buy it the second it came out. And of course I would pre-order it as well.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Based on number of views comparisons alone that Braves pointed out, it makes sense why Funimation isn't announcing any home video release for Tatami Galaxy or even House of Five Leaves. For the record, I like both shows and I would like to see a home video release myself.

It's so sad. I would buy both House of Five Leaves and Ono's other show, Ristorante Paradiso, easily.

Hypeathon wrote:
...but they seem to more or less target the same people who're into obscure/bland independent films.

Sort of. I'm not a huge indie fan, but I do get tired sometimes of watching high schoolers, being an older anime fan.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Just one problem. If this doesn't sell, you can kiss fan surveys goodbye.
williamflipper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!! Pleas more Princess Jellyfish and Tatami Galaxy.... and please no more trash like The Sacred Blacksmith, Baka and Test, BIG TITS ZOMBIE and such.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Hate to burst the Funi love bubble, but I think they take more into account when deciding to release than just an online fan survey. It's probably one of several factors they weigh. It would be nice if Princess Jellyfish did well, however, to encourage other niche-ish titles.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to picking this up on Blu-Ray. I liked what I saw of Tatami Galaxy, but gave up on it since I am not a speed reader. Dude, that guy talked way too fast! In fact, I was hoping for the bilingual release to give me a better chance to enjoy it since I hate constant stopping and starting due to my inability to keep up with the speedy subtitles flying across the screen.
Chowing

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
LOVE this series. I am DEFINITELY buying it. Great job Funimation!
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty sweet.

But Tatami Galaxy is what I really want (oh, and Shiki, but I don't need to worry about that any more).

At least I still have the R4 version I can buy. I was looking it up on the site a couple of days ago. $60 without shipping. For a series like that, I'm willing to pay. Plus, there were a lot of nice little extras included with the release.

The only bad thing is that I would need to buy a region-free DVD player. I know that cheats exist online to make some DVD players region-free, so I'll try to see if I can find one for my current player. If not, then I'll buy a region-free one online.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
All I can really say is
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I'm doing my happy dance. This is the BEST! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6