• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime on DVD/BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juhachi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I love that it's getting a physical release, but they probably won't dub it, which is a shame, but then the BD/DVDs would also be cheaper, so I guess it works out.

The only thing I don't get is why it's called "Princess Jellyfish" when "Kuragehime" is literally "Jellyfish Princess". Princess Jellyfish makes no sense.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
I love that it's getting a physical release, but they probably won't dub it, which is a shame, but then the BD/DVDs would also be cheaper, so I guess it works out.

You're forgetting Funimation dubs everything they release.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Hime is an honorific. It could just as easily be "Princess Jellyfish" as a jellyfish princess.

As for a dub, I would be amazed if it didn't one since dubbing home video releases is pretty much policy for FUNi.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
One of the rare shows that made me laugh out loud. Since I voted for it on their survey I must keep my word and will have no problem ordering. Good for Funi, good for me Wink
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
I don't know if it's considered a 'cheat' but I think most DVD players have a code you can enter to make it region free, that's what my dad did for ours so I could play my R1 imports. Hope you manage to find one to save yourself the cost of buying another DVD player.

There is also another method. I did research for this beforehand and people say its perfectly legal. Yet if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

If you don't mind watching a burnt copy instead of your physical one, you could just convert a burnt copy of your legit set to R0 NTSC/PAL format. It is perfectly legal to own a backup copy of a movie as long as you have the original on hand. I did it for my Professor Layton movie (yes, I still have the physical copy on hand) that I got from the U.K so I could actually watch it on my TV and plan to do it for Kaiba when Siren Visual releases the boxset and I have purchased it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
The thing with that is the fans need to keep their word. If they got alot of people saying "Yeah we will buy that" but then no one buys it Funi isn't gonna be very likely to ask fans like that again because they know the fans will say yes just to say yes.
You are so right. I hope everyone who voted yes goes out and actually buys this series so the next time Funi does a survey like this, they can feel confidant that the fans aren't BS-ing them.

Sales are key people. Unless you can get some big donor dollars (anyone know any rich people willing to fund random things?) fans buying things will pretty much always be the way things get paid for.

Blood- wrote:
Hate to burst the Funi love bubble, but I think they take more into account when deciding to release than just an online fan survey. It's probably one of several factors they weigh. It would be nice if Princess Jellyfish did well, however, to encourage other niche-ish titles.
I don't think anyone here thinks the fan survey alone got us a release. I doubt it was even the dominate factor of the several.

However, the fact Funi asked the way they did suggests that maybe Princess Jellyfish was on the cusp for licensing. I think they looked at the various factors they normally consider and it looked to them like a show that could go either way, be a good licensing choice or a bad one. So someone suggested "hey, why don't just ask the fans if they'd buy it or not?"

They get the responses and probably figure by some sort of formula how many sales those responses could reasonably predict and how many would be needed for the series to be profitable.

I figure the fan survey just took this series over the edge for a physical release. (Which is why I hope the people who voted yes buy it. The next time a show is on the cusp, especially if it's one I want, I want to see a fan survey! Deomocracy in action!)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Face it, just because you love them doesn't mean that anybody who doesn't share your high opinion of them is a moron.

I didn't say that at all. Certainly there are going to be people who just don't like a show. I'm not saying you or any other individual is stupid just because you or they didn't like these shows. I'm sure that you and certain other folks are perfectly intelligent people who just didn't care for these shows. That said, let's be honest. You're the exception. The masses in general didn't watch these shows because the masses are idiots. They wouldn't watch shows like these, or anything that isn't the usual brain dead garbage, regardless. So yeah, I stand by my assessment.

Quote:
Do you not understand that by streaming those titles, Funi was giving them the best shot at getting any kind of audience? The bait was dangled and people didn't bite.

Well, not to Funimation's high standards for success anyway. That's my point though. I mean, I'm hardly surprised Funimation won't be putting these shows out. They are not and were never going to be big, broad, mainstream shows and that's what Funimation does. They only put out big, broad, mainstream shows. So really, I doubt there was ever much of a chance they would actually be putting them out on DVD. But then, why? Why even stream them? All they've done is taken away the chance from another company who might have actually given us some quality streams instead of these glorified ads for a DVD (that doesn't exist) that Funimation gives us and/or has lower standards of popularity and are willing to put out less broad shows.

Quote:
Besides which, if Funi truly doesn't plan on releasing the shows, that doesn't provent a NISA or a Nozomi (who are the only two companies I can think of that *might* be interested) from approaching Funi and getting the home video rights from them.

Uh...anime licensing doesn't work like that. One R1 company doesn't just get to walk over to another R1 company and say "Hey, let us buy the rights to these shows from you".
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool. Not Tatami, but it's something.

I am an unbelievably slow reader and I only had trouble with a few parts early on. 'I dropped the show because I couldn't keep up with it.' is a pretty unbelievable excuse. It takes me a half hour on average to read 20 pages in a normal sized book.
Saturn

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm not surprised this was picked up. It seems to have found quite the fanbase. I'm not sure how exactly mind you. I was always under the impression that Josei was by far the smallest demographic at least in term of anime. I'm not sure if this is a sign that this is untrue or what. If not, is it clicking with a younger female audience instead or perhaps finding some crossover success with the male otaku fanbase. I dunno..

There's actually a pretty sizable market for josei titles in the west-- just, not that many companies have taken notice of us yet. We got into anime when we were young and have stuck with it ever since, and are now in our mid-twenties to early thirties, and though we're a fairly quiet lot, compared to the other groups out there, there's a lot of us and I'd say we have a pretty strong purchasing power. A lot of us are fans of BL so you'll see us around those types of forums, and certain shows draw in the older-girl-demographic (like Tiger & Bunny, the communities for it are teeming with girls in their 20s). We exist, so when a title is made just for us, we notice Wink
I'm really looking forward to getting Princess Jellyfish on dvd, anyway. Along with Shiki-- been waiting for them since I finished them on hulu!

however...
Quote:
that's what Funimation does. They only put out big, broad, mainstream shows.

Whether there's a josei audience out there or not, Princess Jellyfish is NOT a big, broad, mainstream show. It's a tiny little niche show with weird music, funny-looking characters, and humor that is usually based on untranslatable puns.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I like that they did this.
This actually might make up for the fact that they licensed Panty and Stocking. Wait no it doesn't.
But still, I appreciate that fact that they not only asked their fans but listened! Two thumbs up!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Quote:
that's what Funimation does. They only put out big, broad, mainstream shows.

Whether there's a josei audience out there or not, Princess Jellyfish is NOT a big, broad, mainstream show. It's a tiny little niche show with weird music, funny-looking characters, and humor that is usually based on untranslatable puns.

Well, keep in mind that I'm saying their catalogue is broad relative to your average anime, not broad in general. Of course, not every anime is going to be a big Shounen franchise. That said, I don't know if I agree. I would totally have initially but now, based on the overwhelming fan response...well no. I definitely wouldn't say it's a tiny little niche show. Clearly it's managed to tap into that much broader female audience that makes certain other quirky shows big hits.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
There's actually a pretty sizable market for josei titles in the west-- just, not that many companies have taken notice of us yet. We got into anime when we were young and have stuck with it ever since, and are now in our mid-twenties to early thirties, and though we're a fairly quiet lot, compared to the other groups out there, there's a lot of us and I'd say we have a pretty strong purchasing power. A lot of us are fans of BL so you'll see us around those types of forums, and certain shows draw in the older-girl-demographic (like Tiger & Bunny, the communities for it are teeming with girls in their 20s). We exist, so when a title is made just for us, we notice Wink
I'm really looking forward to getting Princess Jellyfish on dvd, anyway. Along with Shiki-- been waiting for them since I finished them on hulu!

Thank you for saying this. I've said this before, but I don't think anyone believed me. Announcements like this make me think somebody is starting to take us seriously. This week's ANNCast is very encouraging, IMO.

Just noticed that Crackle is now geo-blocking the US from Nodame Cantabile. Wondering if that means that Sony will be giving us a physical release of that show (finally). ----or something. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Betcha lot of people who voted won't end up buying this! Laughing

Because by the time this comes out, they'd have moved on to something else. Put the voters' monies on escrow, minimum deposit! Twisted Evil
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this! This series made me want to make jellyfish amigurumi and those were quite popular at the last convention, so I'm going to spend the cash I earned on the Princess Jellyfish dvd's. Full circle, yay! Very Happy

vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote
Nice news to hear.
This show did pretty well for FUNi in terms of streaming, so I guess it was an easy decision to make.
I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over this fan feedback survey though.
FUNi aren't stupid enough just to license a show based on people online saying they would buy it. Many licensors have fallen into this trap before, and now cease to exist...
As for Tatami and House of Leaves, I wouldn't give up hope.
Manga UK have licensed both for the UK on DVD, so unless they are doing a sub-only release like the Australian set, then I would guess FUNi plan to do both shows.
Who knows though. Both weren't all that popular with the streams.
They are more popular with fans of niche works.

What I do want to hear is release dates for stuff they licensed AGES ago. Where's DTB2 for example? Where's the BD set for season 1?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6