• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime on DVD/BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh...anime licensing doesn't work like that. One R1 company doesn't just get to walk over to another R1 company and say "Hey, let us buy the rights to these shows from you".

Probably not. I don't imagine rights are transferable without the involvement of the original copyright holder. However, that doesn't mean something couldn't be worked out. If Funi truly does have no intention of releasing certain shows and Company B did, I imagine something could be worked out, assuming the original copyright holder agreed. The other thing is that rights do lapse after a certain time period unless renewed. Again, it seems unlikely that Funi would renew a license for something it has no intention of releasing.

To me, your attitude shows how Funi can't win. If they DIDN'T simulcast things like the noitiminA titles, people like you would bitch that they only pick uninteresting, mainstream titles aimed at the lowest common denominator. Their decision to do so was outside their regular business model and a bold move. They are releasing Shiki and Princess Jellyfish so far, neither of which is a sure-fire high volume seller. The aforementioned Trapeze and other noitiminA titles are still unlicensed - Funi isn't "blocking" the licensing of them - how come Nozomi or NISA haven't stepped up to the plate for them?

All I'm asking is to be a little fair-minded instead of criticizing Funi for something that may not even be true (i.e. "license-blocking").

@ Richard J.:
Quote:

However, the fact Funi asked the way they did suggests that maybe Princess Jellyfish was on the cusp for licensing.

Except that the survey asked about all their streamed titles, not just Princess Jellyfish. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that Funi does seem to make genuine efforts to consult with its customer base about things, but my response was aimed at the comment that if Princess Jellyfish doesn't do well, that means the end of Funi fan surveys. I don't believe that.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
This makes me worry about House of Five Leaves ever getting a physical release in the US. This is another Funi simulcast that came out after it but got solicited for a physical release before it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, that doesn't mean something couldn't be worked out. If Funi truly does have no intention of releasing certain shows and Company B did, I imagine something could be worked out, assuming the original copyright holder agreed.

It's...theoretically possible I guess. But come on. You're grasping at straws here. The logistics make it extremely improbable. At the absolute minimum, it's enough to make these shows a less preferable choice to the numerous alternatives. I mean, is anyone really going to go to all that trouble just to snag a show that is admittedly not a AAA title by any means? I highly doubt it.

Quote:
The other thing is that rights do lapse after a certain time period unless renewed.

Again, that's true. However, who knows when that even is. Based on past history rights don't seem to lapse for a good long time. Hell, just the fact that it's been like...a year already sure doesn't help. Even if at some point the show goes on the market it's now old news, plus it's already been streamed completely for free which may diminish it's value in some companies eyes and if nothing else means there's no extra revenue to be gained by streaming it themselves. Again, it doesn't automatically rule anything out but it sure doesn't help and just creates additional hurdles.

That's sort of the problematic bottom line I arrive at. All that Funimation's involvement does is at best create a big old detriment to someone else picking up these shows. Hence my frustration if there was slim to no chance of Funimation doing it to begin with.

Quote:
To me, your attitude shows how Funi can't win. If they DIDN'T simulcast things like the noitiminA titles, people like you would bitch that they only pick uninteresting, mainstream titles aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Well look, they might as well shit or get off the pot. Yeah, I'd be annoyed if they just never picked up anything niche. However, giving me a half assed stream and no DVD is hardly any better. In fact, it's much worse. If they're going to be "that company" who just caters to the lowest common denominator then that's fine. We can happily live and let live. Just don't become an actual detriment to someone else bringing over the shows I like.

Quote:
The aforementioned Trapeze and other noitiminA titles are still unlicensed - Funi isn't "blocking" the licensing of them - how come Nozomi or NISA haven't stepped up to the plate for them?

Well, Trapeze itself is insanely niche even by noitaminA standards. Other than that, the best unlicensed gems from noitaminA are probably the ones Funimation is sitting on. The bulk of what's remaining seems to be largely panned or at least be quickly forgotten. If you want to go back a few years there's Mononoke. I agree that's a bit of a head scratcher. Keep in mind though, a whole lot of noitaminA shows have indeed been licensed.

Quote:
All I'm asking is to be a little fair-minded instead of criticizing Funi for something that may not even be true (i.e. "license-blocking").

I'm not sure what your basis is to say that it may not be true at least as far as Tatami and Five Leaves go.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
For all you out there that love this show and convinced Funi to license it, I'm proud of you. I just wish you could united behind a better show. I've spoke about this before on this forum, but while Princess Jellyfish is step in the right direction in terms of things like quality or plot, it is still far from a good show. I hope it does sell, since that will help getting other shows licensed, but I will not drop my money on such a disappointing series.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Never seen the series myself, but hey great for the fans of the series so that they can own a show they love legally.

Maybe once it comes out on BD I might give it a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what your basis is to say that it may not be true at least as far as Tatami and Five Leaves go.

It's simple. You consider it an unimpeachable fact that if Funi hadn't licensed Tatami Galaxy and The House of Five Leaves that somebody else would have released it in R1. That is an assumption, not a fact, and not a particularly well-grounded assumption given the sheer volume of stuff that DOESN'T get licensed in R1. To me this whole issue is reflective of what I have discerned of your personality from your posting history. Instead of appreciating that Funi gave these shows a simulcast shot on one of the highest profile viewing platforms in R1 you automatically take the most negative view possible: that if it wasn't for big, bad Funi some shining white knight would have come along and given you a physical release (heh). I'm not discounting your assumption as completely impossible, but I do think it unlikely. I guess maybe I'm just a glass half full kind of guy and you are the perennial glass half empty type.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
For all you out there that love this show and convinced Funi to license it, I'm proud of you. I just wish you could united behind a better show. I've spoke about this before on this forum, but while Princess Jellyfish is step in the right direction in terms of things like quality or plot, it is still far from a good show. I hope it does sell, since that will help getting other shows licensed, but I will not drop my money on such a disappointing series.

Kindly take your opinion and shove it into the face of someone who has a similar opinion because that's the only agreement you'll get. You'll rile up us fangirls otherwise and we can't be held responsible for our actions if you continue with such slander.

I loved this show and it's the best anime I've seen in years. I can't think of a new anime series I wish to own more on dvd at the moment, so screw all the other shows that Japan has released recently - I'm excited that I'll get to own Princess Jellyfish, especially since this now makes it all the more likely the manga will now get licensed. I'm getting the precious, and you'll not get in the way of this celebration.

This is like when when the great Luo Guanzhong was told to give up on writing because his calligraphy was shoddy and so his story telling was under-par. ALL HAIL LUO GUANZHONG FOR NOT GIVING UP AND GIVING US ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

lgw's fiesty fangirl responses never fail to crack me up.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Even though this series wasn't my favorite of the bunch, I'll still probably buy Princess Jellyfish, just to support FUNI's decision to license a josei series. I'm really liking the support from other female fans (in their 20s-30s) on here... in fact, you guys tipped me into the favor for purchasing it (I was kinda on the fence - the show was kinda hit-or-miss for me, really fun and humorous some moments and boring other momets). As a 25-yo female fan whose been into anime/manga for over half of my life, I just want to throw my voice in with this crowd (even if my tastes vary from them).

Oh man, I hope what tuxedocat is speculating comes true. I would really like to see a release of Nodame Contabile. Just as long as Sony doesn't f*** it up with dubtitles like they did with their Blood+ release.

@vulcanraven01 - I had completely forgotten that Tatami Galaxy was getting an R2 release! I think I'll hold off purchasing it until I see what this release is like. It'll also give me a chance to research more into what I can do about my region-free issue.

So, last night I did do some research on options to get around the region codes (thanks for the suggestions Rukiia & ss-hikaru), and I still don't know what to do. I looked for codes online to unlock my DVD player, and from what it looks like if the player was purchased after a certain date (which mine was), then the code doesn't work. There's no way for me to try since I don't have a non-R1 DVD on me, but I can assume that it won't work.

Purchasing region-free, HDMI-compatible DVD players on Amazon seems to be hit-or-miss for the price range I want ($40-70), with some people receiving players that end up not being region-free even though they said they were (and they had to look up for the codes online themselves, which may or may not have worked).

I could go the super-cheap, easy route and just switch the region coding on my laptop... but of course there's the issue that I can only switch 5 times before my computer locks down on that region. I rarely ever use my laptop to watch DVDs anyways, so I could just dub this my "Tatami Galaxy"-watching computer, but I'd rather not resort to this if better options exist. Besides, it's getting kind of old, so I imagine that it's gonna die on me eventually, in which case I'll be buying a new laptop with an HDMI videocard so that I can hook it up to my HD tv (and I think I'd rather keep it R1... maybe, I guess I won't really need to since I have blu-ray and DVD players... but when I'm traveling I'd like the option to watch my R1 DVDs... urrrrrgh).

VLC player can't help me since its region-free software doesn't work on computers with Windows 7 installed.

I could do what Rukiia suggested and make a region-free copy of my DVD using ripping software. But the programs I looked at, AnyDVD and DVDFab (which people were recommending), ended up costing the amount it would take to just buy a region-free DVD player. Confused I guess I could just download the programs during their trial period and cancel once I ripped Tatami Galaxy. If you've had experience with a free DVD ripping and burning software, Rukiia, I'd appreciate to know.

Sorry for the thought-spam. I had to get it out because it's been bothering me. BLAARGH.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I could do what Rukiia suggested and make a region-free copy of my DVD using ripping software. But the programs I looked at, AnyDVD and DVDFab (which people were recommending), ended up costing the amount it would take to just buy a region-free DVD player. Confused I guess I could just download the programs during their trial period and cancel once I ripped Tatami Galaxy. If you've had experience with a free DVD ripping and burning software, Rukiia, I'd appreciate to know.

I'll fire you a PM later today. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You consider it an unimpeachable fact that if Funi hadn't licensed Tatami Galaxy and The House of Five Leaves that somebody else would have released it in R1.

I never said anything of the sort. I said that Funimation's license prevents (or at least hurts the chances of) other companies releasing it. It doesn't follow from this that I am claiming someone would automatically release it if Funimation didn't block them. Just that if someone did want to, they couldn't because of Funimation. Obviously though that's not much better. If Funimation wasn't interfering and still nobody chose to license this I could accept that. I'd rather see a chance for somebody else to license it though, even if it's only a moderate chance, as that's still better than a virtual guarantee that Funimation will just sit on it.

Quote:
Instead of appreciating that Funi gave these shows a simulcast shot...

Their streams are low quality, glorified ads for the DVD. Again, that's part of the problem. I just don't think Funimation has any business getting in on streaming if they're going to do a shit job of it. Not if they're not putting out a DVD anyway. If you want to do this and then put a show out on DVD...fine. I can live with that. I'll wait for the DVD. If there isn't going to be a DVD though...well then you're just wasting my time. You'd be better to just leave it alone and hopefully Crunchyroll or TAN will pick it up at least for streaming.

Look, let me illustrate it this way. With Funimation I get:
-Virtually no chance of a DVD from Funimation
-A significantly lower chance of a DVD from someone else
-Guaranteed low quality streams
-Guaranteed no high quality streams

Without Funimation I get:
-Virtually no chance of a DVD from Funimation (The same)
-A much better chance of a DVD from someone else (Much better)
-A very slight chance at no streams (Small downside)
-A very good chance at high quality streams (Much better)

Do you see why Funimation just staying out of it is a better option?
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I would've much rather had Tatami Galaxy over Kuragehime. The series couldn't keep me interested in the second half and it didn't even get very far through the manga. The cliff-hanger ish ending and no second second season in sight doesn't help either. It was just kind of average.

Whatever floats Funi's boat I guess, though I haven't bought anything from them since Baccano and their release of it already got one-upped anyway. I've been kind of disappointed in them lately.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Watched it, loved it, voted for it, and will buy it.
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Re-read the post, and realized something.

Quote:
acquired the home entertainment, broadcast, digital, and merchandising rights

Clara plushie, please.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Kindly take your opinion and shove it into the face of someone who has a similar opinion because that's the only agreement you'll get. You'll rile up us fangirls otherwise and we can't be held responsible for our actions if you continue with such slander.

ROFL. Even though I agree with the other guy I loved this reply. Oh man, to think anime tsunderes have affected me so deeply. Makes me wonder why do I never get this kind of bashing even though I usually reply similarly. Laughing

Does that mean I've learned how to master a tsundere's heart? Man, I'm so proud of myself. If only Master were alive...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6