• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Which Anime Director Do You Follow

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This poll chiefly shows the achingly obvious fact that the audience for something is mostly interested in what's currently popular. I don't think that this was meant to provide some consensus on artistic merit. These results would probably correlate strongly with those of a poll about favorite series, with exceptions naturally allowed for those with overwhelming reputations, namely Hayao Miyazaki. On the whole, it's almost a superfluous exercise.

It is nice to see Satoshi Kon ranked highly, even if it's not really possible to follow, in a conventional sense, him anymore. I must cynically wonder where he might have placed if this poll had been taken a year ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I really wish Katsuhiro Otomo would direct another animated film soon..and Atsushi Wakabayashi isn't a series or film director but he is a episodic director..anything he touches turns into gold..he has worked on such animated series as Yu Yu Hakusho,Naruto and Naruto Shippuden..any episode he works on always has crisp and fluid high film quality type of animation..Studio Pierrot's finest no doubt.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Do these results mean that a director's following is influenced more on their frequency than their notability?

In the age of moe, someone who delves into moe...

You're looking at 2 of what I'd consider big 4 recent moe related shows. K-ON!, Bakemonogatari, Angel Beats, and Madoka Magica.

Well, he is a good director and deserves praise regardless. After all he knew how to please his target with his two main shows.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
This list depresses me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
How the frack is Hiroyuki Imaishi not on that list? I don't follow directors either, but I will give anything his name is attached to a look. Yamakan has freaking Fractle, Kannagi, and got fired from Lucky Star. Imaishi has Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking, Dead Leaves, and did the key animation work for basically every slick action scene you've seen come from Gainax since he started working there.
Well, your last statement is, uh, not true, but I definitely agree with you on Imaishi's absence.

Clearly I just winged it, but I'm curious as to how one goes about finding that information out. I said what I did because when I go to his page, I see that he did Key Animation or shows like FLCL, Cutey Honey, and Kare Kano, shows with some pretty slick scenes, so I thought I'd made a safe assumption.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess it's more a case of "what have you done for me lately?" Laughing
Actually, that is the case with pretty much all of these anime polls. Everything that ranks the highest is often the most recent popular shows.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
If anything this list proves it that it's SNAFM still with these Japanese otaku.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Clearly I just winged it, but I'm curious as to how one goes about finding that information out. I said what I did because when I go to his page, I see that he did Key Animation or shows like FLCL, Cutey Honey, and Kare Kano, shows with some pretty slick scenes, so I thought I'd made a safe assumption.
He did do great work on all of those series and more, but GAINAX has other animators like Akira Amemiya, Sushio, and Yoh Yoshinari to name a few. There's been a ton of other great animators involved with their works (like Hisashi Mori who handled the transformation scene in Gurren Lagann that you see in every episode), but there's too many to list. People find out about this stuff via interviews, commentary tracks (GAINAX was on UStream for Pansuto, where staffers would comment on every episode after it aired), Twitter and the like, and plain old obsession by fans comparing episodes and credits to find out who did what. Those MADs that I posted to are a good place to start. They aren't always 100% accurate, but they tend to give you a good idea of the style of each animator.

EDIT: Also, Sakuga@Wiki.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Do these results mean that a director's following is influenced more on their frequency than their notability?

In the age of moe, someone who delves into moe...

You're looking at 2 of what I'd consider big 4 recent moe related shows. K-ON!, Bakemonogatari, Angel Beats, and Madoka Magica.

Well, he is a good director and deserves praise regardless. After all he knew how to please his target with his two main shows.

Hell, I've always liked Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei myself.

Hint.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If anything this list proves it that it's SNAFM still with these Japanese otaku.
What with these otaku?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Hint.

Good for you, because I didn't. I already get my repetition petition tition tion on fix from shonen anime.

Hint.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Hint.

Good for you, because I didn't. I already get my repetition petition tition tion on fix from shonen anime.

Hint.

I've always liked Tim Curry's movies.

Clue.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
@Braves

Thanks for those MADs and the info. I don't follow staff like you do, but I still appreciate the work they do and would like to know who does the stand out scenes I see. Like, for example, I am soooooooo happy to finally know who did the opening fight scene in Mahoromatic and will keep an eye out for Yoh Yoshinari (and Sushio) when looking over staff lists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2