• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime on DVD/BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Makes me wonder why do I never get this kind of bashing even though I usually reply similarly. Laughing

Does that mean I've learned how to master a tsundere's heart? Man, I'm so proud of myself. If only Master were alive...

Nah, it just means you're not a main character in this story.

I 2nd the Clara plush!

And I haven't seen much yet, but I can't wait to see some of those Jellyfish dresses in cosplay.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Look, let me illustrate it this way. With Funimation I get:
-Virtually no chance of a DVD from Funimation
-A significantly lower chance of a DVD from someone else
-Guaranteed low quality streams
-Guaranteed no high quality streams

So, Funimation has streamed 7 noitaminA series, announced 2 DVD releases. 2/7=38%= "virtually no chance".

And is now working on its HD streaming.

It sounds a lot more like "I've stood up on this soapbox so many times and repeated it so often I've convinced myself and no longer need to think about the fact that the original speculations they were based on have been disproven."
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
So, Funimation has streamed 7 noitaminA series, announced 2 DVD releases. 2/7=38%= "virtually no chance".

3/7 = 43%

Fractle, Shiki, and Princess Jellyfish
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

What I do want to hear is release dates for stuff they licensed AGES ago. Where's DTB2 for example? Where's the BD set for season 1?
Yes, inquiring minds want to know. That's 3 of us now on here who are concerned.

To those of you who aren't concerned about the titles that Funimation has kept in "Licensing Purgatory" for ages now, and who do care about these new Funi announcements (Jellyfish, Fractale, et al) please bear in mind that just a year ago, we who care about these older titles were in the same position you are in now.

Last year, Darker than Black 2 was announced to come out this February. It's now mid-May, and there's no sign. From what I've seen of the Funimation June 2011 release schedule, DTB 2 isn't on there either.

We were once hopeful, we put faith in Funimation, and they didn't deliver. Now we're embittered & jaded. If this continues, you new hopefuls will be the same. Sad
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
In the last ANNcast Charlene said that Darker than Black 2 is coming later this year.

She also explained why some titles got Blu-Ray releases and some didn't.

And really, with all the enormous output FUNi puts out, I think it's rather rediculous to lose faith in them over a very small handful of series.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
In the last ANNcast Charlene said that Darker than Black 2 is coming later this year.

She also explained why some titles got Blu-Ray releases and some didn't.

And really, with all the enormous output FUNi puts out, I think it's rather rediculous to lose faith in them over a very small handful of series.
It's great that she said that, it corroborates what was reportedly said at the recent Funi panels in Seattle/Boston. However, Funi also said that Darker than Black 2 was coming out this February, and that clearly didn't happen. They've already failed on delivery once. The show is already 2 years old, and February 2011 was 3 months ago.

You may think it is ridiculous to loose faith in Funi over missed release dates when they are releasing so much stuff, but to me, that's part of the problem. You see, I don't care for most of the stuff Funimation is putting out. Either they are re/rescue releasing shows I already own, or they're releasing titles that just don't appeal to me. So when Funimation has one show that actually does interest me, and they keep pushing it back and instead release what I consider to be "bad" shows in droves, I loose faith. Mad

Funimation's releases are Funimation's business. However, Funimation won't get my business until they make it their business to release properties owned by their business. Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Don't play at using statistics unless you actually know how they work. Your suggestion is that since 2/7 streamed noitamiA shows were released, the probability of any individual noitaminA show would be 2/7. If it was the case that all members of the group in question (noitaminA shows) were all more or less homogeneous then yes, that would hold true. It is, however, quite plain to see that not all shows are equally popular. Obviously some noitaminA shows are a lot more plausible candidates for a DVD release than an extremely slow paced little oddity with a strange, superficially ugly artstyle or the latest project by Masaaki "nothing I've ever directed has made it to the US" Yuasa. So no, clearly those shows did not stand a 2/7 chance of being released.

(And by the way, 2/7 is 28% genius. Which...actually ain't very good odds. Not horrible but pretty poor).

Quote:
And is now working on its HD streaming.

They've been "working on" HD streaming for ages. Maybe when Funimation actually has decent streams they ought to get into the streaming business. Until then, Crunchyroll has HD streaming now.

Quote:
It sounds a lot more like "I've stood up on this soapbox so many times and repeated it so often I've convinced myself and no longer need to think about the fact that the original speculations they were based on have been disproven."

If anyone is guilty of this it's you. You've been on my case every time this comes up for so long that it seems like you're just being obstinate at this point even though with every passing day the only valid point you've put forward looks more and more flimsy. Originally, you did have a fair point in saying that I was being premature in assuming Funimation wouldn't release these shows on DVD. For that reason, I did decide to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while. At this point however, it's pretty unlikely they're going to. Hence, you've "disproven" nothing. (Although I'm sure it's a lot easier to just say you have anyway).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6