• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Episode Delayed Due to Earthquake Depiction

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
That was probably a good idea. Luckily, there was that one spot of good TV that came out of it (the live rescue).

You can kind of relate this to 9/11 where various movies were delayed, but I think you shouldn't. Apples and oranges.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The think police at work.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

That's going overboard. The episode was delayed, not cancelled.

I think this sort of thing is part of an exotic concept called "being sensitive to people". Being a geek myself, I'm only familiar with it as hearsay - but I'm told it sometimes occurs among non-geeks. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The episode will re-air eventually, leading even more people to tune in since it was taken off the first time...
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Joe. Many people who were affected didn't want to see somthing like that. I've been seeing a lot of reports on the earthquake and typhoons on NHK in taiwan. My mom works in Tokyo so I get very worried about her.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The same thing happened during the attacks on New York City. I remember when the movie studios pulled the movie Collateral Damage with Arnold Schwarzenegger for over a year after those events before it was finally released due to the sensitivity of the movie depicting terrorists in the film.

It will eventually be released but I think fans of the anime will end up waiting. But I would expect this episode be available only on the DVD and I doubt they'll broadcast it.
The Mozz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
"Shaking Island Battle! Barboach vs Whiscash!" is the name of the ep. It was a filler anyway, but I really wouldn't see imagine this ep playing anytime soon. If anything, it might be relegated to the Sunday showing or something similar.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree that it was the right decision to dealy the airing of the episode. It would've been very insensitive to air it at a time when so many people suffered and don't want to be reminded of the horrors of the earthquake.
I have no doubts that the episode will air eventually.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
Considering all the bad publicity the legendary seizure episode had a few years back, I'm sure the creators of Pokemon are extra-sensetive to controversy of this sort. This kind of reminds me when they banned two episodes of the Simpsons for about a year after 9/11. (the one where Homer's car is stuck inbetween the WTC towers, and the one where Bart accidentally destroys Mad Magazine headquarters, which is depeicted as a skyscraper in the middle of NYC) Those epsodes aired again eventually, and so will this one.

J-Syxx wrote:

Not to nitpick, but the term is Thought Police.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
Close enough.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Considering all the bad publicity the legendary seizure episode had a few years back, I'm sure the creators of Pokemon are extra-sensetive to controversy of this sort. This kind of reminds me when they banned two episodes of the Simpsons for about a year after 9/11. (the one where Homer's car is stuck inbetween the WTC towers, and the one where Bart accidentally destroys Mad Magazine headquarters, which is depeicted as a skyscraper in the middle of NYC) Those epsodes aired again eventually, and so will this one.

I haven't to seen those episodes since the 9/11 attack (and I love the Boy Band epsiode too) and this strikes me more of the Sinfeld thing with the envolpes, though I have seen that episode resntily
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching Simpsons years ago. Do they still have those crappy new writers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1