• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Escala Poll: Manga Women in Their 20s Want as Live-Action

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Saint Young Men get a anime adaptation by SHAFT, rather than a live adaptation. Remember Arakawa Under the Bridge? Same original creator.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
greensoulreaper wrote:
I'd rather have Saint Young Men get a anime adaptation by SHAFT, rather than a live adaptation. Remember Arakawa Under the Bridge? Same original creator.

I would have to burn some studios down if SHAFT ever tried to lay hands on Saint Young Men. I know they have their fans, but I could not think of a studio more unsuited for adapting the kind of series that is than SHAFT. And if they hired Akiyuki I-Use-The-Same-Visual-Tricks-In-Every-Damn-Show-I-Make Shinbo to direct, a little part of my soul would die.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Arakawa's also getting a live-action though, so I think it'd make sense. Saint Young Men has such a mundane setting, I think that live-action would be better.

Also, while I don't have such vitriolic hatred for SHAFT (I actually like a lot of their stuff), Arakawa was kind of boring in comparison to some of their other adaptations. I'd prefer to see something that lets Shinbou-kantoku's crazy visuals and SHAFT's weird visual humor shine; Saint Young Men is way not visual enough.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Japan is more a TV culture than a movie or anime culture. Meaning TV stars are the biggest stars, more than movie stars and anime stars. It's interesting what young adult TV women want compared to damn fujoshi. Laughing
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
i would LOVE to see any sort of adaptation of saint young men. the little bit of it i read was amazingly hilarious. i really should figure out who publishes it so i can look for it in book off next time i get to NYC...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Given how anime-based movie budgets tend to be, I wonder how terrible a live-action One Piece would look. Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Japan is more a TV culture than a movie or anime culture. Meaning TV stars are the biggest stars, more than movie stars and anime stars. It's interesting what young adult TV women want compared to damn fujoshi. Laughing

yeah, 10-13 eps jdrama are very popular in Japan. most of their stars don't even do movies.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a live-action or anime adaptation of Strobe Edge!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Given how anime-based movie budgets tend to be, I wonder how terrible a live-action One Piece would look. Very Happy

If it's any indication, Gokaiger is pretty awesome. The only awkward thing would be Luffy's rubber body CG, since Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji have pretty tame attacks (especially in the early part of the series)

But yeah, kind of hard to condense a long running series into a movie. Obviously fans would want at least the original five, but their arcs are so long individually it's impossible.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Although I'd like to think Japanese live action flims are usually much better than Americanized versions of these movies. That said, here is my opinion on the live action One Piece movie.

No! Just straight out no. Even though it would (hopefully and I mean hopefully) be made in Japan and stay strictly in Japan, I can't ever see this working out.

For starters, Luffy's body is entirely made out of rubber. Yeah you could use CG and what not, but if your going to use CG at all, why bother making the movie a live action film.

Secondly, the battles Luffy faces aren't standard battles with guns and knives here. There are fights that have truly pushed Luffy to the max of his fighting ability and have left him and his crew severally wounded. To re-create such scenes would not be physically possible without actually inflicting major damage on to a person. In CG that is possible, but in live action, you have to consider that there is a limit you must follow. You exceed that limit and it's anyone's guess what will happen.

Thirdly, what about Chopper? Oh sure you could find either a kid or a short person to do the job, but what happens when Chopper transforms? I can't say I have ever heard of a person having the ability to suddenly grow taller at will and then shrink their size just as easily.

No offense and I truly do not mean this to be rude, but I have to wonder if the women who voted picked One Piece really even thought about why this movie wouldn't come out as awesome as it sounded on paper and in casual conversation? The Akira live action movie anyone? Sure it might have sounded cool to talk about, but actually making the movie and talking about making the movie are two different actions all together.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well, even though I'm not familiar with most of the titles, I'm really craving a Straw Hat cameo in PotC: On Stranger Tides.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
This article doesn't mean much to me if most of the manga on the list don't have a summary in the Encyclopedia. I know I could still find them on other sites but I wouldn't connect with the story as much until they were made into an anime series first (except for the ones that already are). Chihayafuru looks like it would make a cute show animated or otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1