• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. SyFy Channel Lists No More Anime After June 9

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised their anime block lasted this long with their limited catalog of shows that they kept repeating and all the constant changes to the time slot.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Anime seems to have died on tv.
sad!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
In some respects, I guess this shouldn't be too surprising, since it seems cable networks have been turning more and more away from anime. It's kind of interesting to see that this news would come down the same week that Cartoon Network cut down on how much anime they're showing in their regular rotation.

My two younger children liked watching the Pokemon reruns in the morning on Cartoon Network before heading out to school. On Monday, they were disapponted to discover that Pokemon wasn't on when they switched over at 8:00 a.m. I did some searching through TV Guide's online listings, and discovered that the airings of Bakugan, Beyblade, and Pokemon on weekday mornings were gone. Upon further investigation, I found that they were not moved to any other time on the schedule during the week. I find all three of shows on Saturday morning, plus an airing of Pokemon: Black & White at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Really, all I can think of now for anime viewing on TV after the SyFy airings disappear would be:
*"Toonzai" block on broadcast TV
*CN's airings of Bakugan, Beyblade, and Pokemon: Black & White on Saturday mornings and the airing of Pokemon: Black & White on Sunday morning
*Whatever anime is currently showing on CN's "Adult Swim" block
*Naruto Shippuden on Disney Anime hyper
*Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, and it could also potentially be argued that Voltron Force will qualify after it debuts in June

Am I missing anything, or is that really going to be it now for anime on broadcast and cable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
sad!
Not quite.

Anyway, I'm gonna miss this block. It introduced me two of some of my favorite anime of all time, Now and Then, Here and There and Monster(two best shows ever shown on that channel). Figured it would end sooner or later, though.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Frak you American television|
There was TechTv/G4tv, StarzAction/Encore, Showtime Beyond, IFC and the others mentioned above but now thanks to all of those crappy teen shows and damned reality shows my favorite channels are dead or empty husks filled with boring movies or cops/cheaters reruns.
Soon 4kids will die, there may not be a Zexal dub and the other shows will colapse with 4sh**s. DisXD will not be able to keep on editing Shippuden unless they at least follow CN's editing standards but even if that happens Disney will shun anime with their love of teenage white girl series, all we will have left are CN's anime with toy merchandise and maybe Nicktoons.
Bye anime on tv, hello "free" download anime on pc.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:
sad!
Not quite.

Anyway, I'm gonna miss this block. It introduced me two of some of my favorite anime of all time, Now and Then, Here and There and Monster. Figured it would end sooner or later, though.

Don't forget "Noein" which I'm surprised no one ever talks about. Plus the tv airing of TTGL that Adult Swim should've aired. I had hoped they would rerun Noein again eventually, but I guess this kills that idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
sad!

Can't say I'm mad; it was always either butchered severely due to American censors being so strict or edited for tons of commercials and shifted around a lot (SyFy)
mpg13

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I cancelled broadcast/cable television more than a couple years ago. It's too bad that what little anime they had is almost gone but it's not a surprise. I feel the money in the TV budget is better spent on high speed internet service.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
While I'm sad that it might be gone, it did allow me to see Gundam 00, which has since become my fav Gundam series.

(sigh) I guess it had to go make room for more late-night reruns of SyFy's reality shows, I guess...
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. They were only showing older shows or shows that most people had likely seen a dozen times already. I remember watching Ergo Proxy on that station and they cut so much out in order to run commercials that I was confused and lost most of the time. That's what got on my nerves. Now I don't know much about this but I think if these stations selected newer and current anime and had only one commercial break they would get higher viewer ratings. Like Animenetwork for example which previews shows before they are even released on DVD (High School of the Dead for example). People want to watch something they haven't seen yet, or something that is popular and they don't have access to illegally beforehand.

I think anime selection and timing is a big part of it. There's so much anime out there to choose from but most stations want to play it safe and avoid themes that might be questionable to some people. Or they move the anime run times/days to earlier or later in the day when kids and teens are likely in school or should be asleep. Thus you get low viewer ratings and a belief that no one cares about anime.

That's the way I see it.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This article is not quite correct. Anime DID move to Tuesday for a short time in 2008 (January or February I believe), but quickly moved back to Monday after about a month, and stayed there for the most part (though occasionally being pre-empted for Sci-Fi originals such as Unexplained with George Noory, Cha$e, and Knights of Bloodsteel) until December 2010. Then it made a semi-permanent move to Tuesdays in 2011 generally at the same timeslot 11 p.m.-1 a.m., but occasionally later in the night: two or even THREE hours later! Finally, it moved to Thursdays on March 24.

But yeah, I'm gonna miss this block. It introduced me to several of my faves, including Gurren Lagann, Gundam 00, Monster, and many many more (though those were probably 3 of the block's biggest successes.)
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
I cancelled broadcast/cable television more than a couple years ago. It's too bad that what little anime they had is almost gone but it's not a surprise. I feel the money in the TV budget is better spent on high speed internet service.

Exactly! This is just a sign of the times. Back in the day, there were many more people tuning into anime via television. In my opinion, now that most fans are either teenagers, or adults, it only makes sense to offer the majority of anime via online streaming. Let's face it, way more people are online now, especially since WiFi is readily available pretty much everywhere (in the U.S. that is).
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
Frak you American television|
There was TechTv/G4tv, StarzAction/Encore, Showtime Beyond, IFC and the others mentioned above but now thanks to all of those crappy teen shows and damned reality shows my favorite channels are dead or empty husks filled with boring movies or cops/cheaters reruns.
Soon 4kids will die, there may not be a Zexal dub and the other shows will colapse with 4sh**s. DisXD will not be able to keep on editing Shippuden unless they at least follow CN's editing standards but even if that happens Disney will shun anime with their love of teenage white girl series, all we will have left are CN's anime with toy merchandise and maybe Nicktoons.
Bye anime on tv, hello "free" download anime on pc.
Rolling Eyes
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It is unfortunate that the Wrestling/Paranormal (er, Syfy) channel is ending their anime programming, it's where I saw Monster after all, but it's not really surprising. They appear to have lost their way in recent years; where they used to have some pretty decent shows, now they have almost nothing that appeals to me, and what I will watch is only on for a few weeks of the year. Pity, there was a time when I was a regular viewer, but now it's almost never, and the anime block was one of the things I did watch.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I think Botan24 hit the nail on the head. While the decline in anime on TV kind of started with the burst of the anime bubble, it seems the decline has been accelerated with more people turning to the Internet to see anime.

While I don't see anime completely disappearing from cable, I can see it whittle down to just a few token shows being aired (with probably one of those "token shows" being Pokemon if it keeps going in Japan).

Botan24 wrote:
Exactly! This is just a sign of the times. Back in the day, there were many more people tuning into anime via television. In my opinion, now that most fans are either teenagers, or adults, it only makes sense to offer the majority of anime via online streaming. Let's face it, way more people are online now, especially since WiFi is readily available pretty much everywhere (in the U.S. that is).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6