• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Coffee Samurai / Hoshizora Kiseki Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, being a big fan of Shinkai and all of his movies made me want to look into other things Comix Wave had produced. Sadly, none of them live up to his works although I would agree they are watchable and a bit unique.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if I could find any reviews for it since it sounded interesting when it was announced. Sorry to see that neither of them are fantastic but I still want to check them out and see them for myself, hope Netflix picks it up sometime.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't a fan of Coffee Samurai, but I really enjoyed Hoshizora Kiseki. I thought it was a very cute and feel-good story.

I may eventually pick this up, although paying about $20 for essentially a half-hour show seems a bit annoying. XP
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Coffee Samurai charmed my socks off because it was so low-key. It was fun for what it was. As for Hoshizora Kiseki, it kind of felt like a 13 episode show in fast forward, or maybe like watching a recap episode of a longer show.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
You said the Korean dub of CS is weaker than the Japanese dub of Hoshizora. Well to be fair, Korean does sound quite different from Japanese, especially when they dub anime or games.

Observe the Korean dub of Tales of Destiny 2 for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nTHvneMSU

Unless we're talking a dub with virtually little expression behind it. In that case, nevermind. XP
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
wasn't H K the one that one guy tried to get and caused that big mess about
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Unless we're talking a dub with virtually little expression behind it. In that case, nevermind. XP

Yes, that is the case. I've seen subtitle Korean on a couple of other occasions and not found it to be that expressionless.

And Tanteikingdomkey, I have no idea what you're talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
I was wondering about this release. Thanks for the review!
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Yes, that is the case. I've seen subtitle Korean on a couple of other occasions and not found it to be that expressionless.

And Tanteikingdomkey, I have no idea what you're talking about.

He's talking about Corey Maddox of New Voice Productions, the weird guy who tried to dub Hoshizora Kiseki on donations.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Which is odd since I've seen quite a few examples of Korean dub work done on anime over there and they usually match the original Japanese voices work quite well. Detective Conan, for example, is very popular there so the dub sounds well performed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1