• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass TV Anime to Be Remixed on 2 DVDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting. I wonder if we'll get this here.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well, Bandai did put out the GitS compilations.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, this "remix" has already happened. Laughing

For the record, the Black Rebellion compilation was originally released back in 2008 and Zero Requiem came out in 2009. In other words, I assume this is simply a re-release of those two compilations with a different set of covers and not an entirely new product.

You can find both of them on Amazon Japan or anywhere else without too much effort. They're not particularly worth watching though, let alone buying, but that's just my opinion.

The only good news here, at least from my point of view, is that Code Geass Gaiden is still going to happen...but probably not before 2012. Otherwise, they wouldn't even bother to speak about doing anything "in preparation" for it as late as September 2011.

Last edited by nightjuan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Keep on milkin'.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
I don't particularly mind the act of milking, because everyone from Gainax to Studio Ghibli does that in a number of different ways, but using new material for this purpose is obviously better than resorting to compilations...let alone re-releases of compilations, which is what this is.

Frankly, I can't imagine they're going to sell too many additional copies of this by now...unless they do something sneaky like including another trailer for the upcoming project, which is entirely possible.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

For the record, the Black Rebellion compilation was originally released back in 2008 and Zero Requiem came out in 2009.

Both movies were also released on Blu-ray back in 2009 so if they have plans to re-release these films on DVD then they should also be planning to re-release them on Blu-ray as well.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Keep on milkin'.

Until the cow goes moo or until there is nothing left?

Anyway, pretty interesting that the series is being remixed though. I wonder how it will turn out and how much different it will be from the original series?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Code Geass, condensed and retold from Lelouch's point of view--because the show definitely wasn't about the hero before.

Feh. I do have some interest in the new series though.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling the new series will never actually be dubbed, but will be subtitled and streamed on Hulu. We'll at least get that much.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'd say that's very likely, since Bandai probably won't even try to dub it without a TV deal.

GWOtaku wrote:
Code Geass, condensed and retold from Lelouch's point of view--because the show definitely wasn't about the hero before.

I know, right? Wink

In all honesty, the only "new" thing you get in these compilation movies is a few extra inner monologues in R2, which I suppose counts as telling the audience something "new" from Lelouch's point of view in certain situations, but doesn't amount to making any significant changes or modifications (other than necessary cuts to summarize each season in about two hours, of course). No additional scenes or animated sequences are involved in the process.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
I would rather Bandai release a box set of the second season. But I most likely will have to wait 1-2 years for that.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
I wll never understand the point of these remixes. Why would you watch that, when you can watch the series?
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
"Code Geass Special Edition"? Laughing Anyway, is the new anime actually going to be a TV series? No news if it is coming this year?
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
So this is pretty similar to those Death Note Re-Light things.

I hope the 3rd series does get over to the USA in the future.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
nightjuan wrote:

For the record, the Black Rebellion compilation was originally released back in 2008 and Zero Requiem came out in 2009.

Both movies were also released on Blu-ray back in 2009 so if they have plans to re-release these films on DVD then they should also be planning to re-release them on Blu-ray as well.

I would certainly hope so. Nothing says "you aren't getting any DVD sales off me" like having "HD editor" staring at you in English among all the untranslated credits. Maybe this was just originally on track for the "other" Bandai, and they are finally getting around to putting things in order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2