• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rave Master DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Since this is edited dub only im surprised they left in some of the small bits of fanservice centered on Elie
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Shhh! Don't question that part! Surprised

I'm just wondering. Was the original background music retained or did Tokyopop created their own?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Read the review. All of the music in Rave Master was created by Tokyopop, and I doubt we'll ever get an unedited version from them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I just want to make sure, that's all.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Read the review. All of the music in Rave Master was created by Tokyopop, and I doubt we'll ever get an unedited version from them.

Which leads me to suspect that DVD sales are gonna tank - you'd think they'd have learned after Initial D to listen to the fans as a whole. There's a reason for an industry standard to provide unedited DVD's with both language tracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I think that Tokyopop doesn't care about what the general public wants
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Neo_1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:40 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. Tokyo Pop should really follow suit and produced the Uncut Episodes. Origanly i was going to pick up this series till i got the update saying that the DVD will be edited ones and that their not planning to release and uncut verson.
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Which leads me to suspect that DVD sales are gonna tank - you'd think they'd have learned after Initial D to listen to the fans as a whole. There's a reason for an industry standard to provide unedited DVD's with both language tracks.

Learned what? That it translates into huge sales? You do know that Initial D is frequently one of the top-selling anime DVDs, right? When a new volume comes out it almost always hits pretty high on the ol' anime sales list, usually besting 99 percent of the output from companies like ADV.
HungryWolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it.

Rave Master is my favorite Manga. How could they do this to such an amazing Manga!? They better make a subbed/uncut version, like they did with Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh.

I watched an episode once on Cartoon Network, and it was alright. Nothing like the Manga, really, but some Anime are like that, so no problem there. But when the ending song came on, I wanted to scream bloody murder.

So please, please, hear my plea, and make a subbed/uncut DVD of Rave Master!
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

Learned what? That it translates into huge sales? You do know that Initial D is frequently one of the top-selling anime DVDs, right? When a new volume comes out it almost always hits pretty high on the ol' anime sales list, usually besting 99 percent of the output from companies like ADV.

Do you have sales figures to show this? You've made a sweeping generalization, so please, show me.

My point specifically is that the more fans you please, the more sales you make. Even if Initial D is selling as well as you say, imagine how many more sales it would have got if they had done a better job. Messing with the dub they way they did in Initial D didn't help matters.

Logic dictates that don't turn away potential buyers. By providing a dub only track however, Tokyopop has done exactly that when it comes to Rave. Anytime you deviate from what is generally accepted as a business standard, you will usually lose sales. Or can you tell me that dub only DVD's is the norm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1