• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Level 5 to Help Create Gundam AGE Anime This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Character designs look too shonen in comparison to previous series, but that's what people thought about Gundam SEED and it turned out great. Still I reserve judgement for until the series comes out.

If they went full on shonen like G Gundam then it's easily not watchable. On the bright side is, they're not doing a Japanese equivalent to the god-awful Transformers Animated this time around.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
I think it's adorable that the show will have a battleship named Diva. Perhaps its main weapon system will be a sonic cannon that plays Broadway show tunes at full blast.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
So... Danboru Senki anime is not really working in ratings, to have Level 5 siding with Gundam.

As for the images, let's wait but it is way, way too much kiddie for me. This is Gundam, not Inazuma Eleven on robots...
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
Now that I've gotten off my high that Level-5 would work on Gundam... I have to wonder if this is a good move. Level-5's been pretty successful with Inazuma Eleven (not sure how Danball Senki is actually doing) but... that's because Inazuma Eleven is really successful with the kids. It's like a household show. I can't help but wonder if this is a move to commercialize and really introduce kids into being Gundam fans?

While Level-5 has aimed at younger kids for the anime they have made (for their games) they've always told a good story and told it well. Their anime, while fun and enjoyable, is mainly to promote their products and I'm pretty sure that's going to be the case here. I bet they're targeting that audience to sell all the games and merchandise far more than they would be trying to make DVD and BD sales...
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
calm your tits

some people are getting too emotional about the character design. remember, you're not being forced to watch it. can you really be that surprised it may be targeted towards a younger audience? let's not forget about the last series that just ended in march.

despite the character design, i'm looking forward to seeing the first episode of AGE. heck, i'm just trilled there is a new series.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Expias wrote:

I bet they're targeting that audience to sell all the games and merchandise far more than they would be trying to make DVD and BD sales...

Sunrise is owned by Bandai, Gundam has always been about merchandise far more than most other real robot series.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
It was NOT mentioned in the original announcement whether or not Level-5 would be working specifically on the anime (or even the game) per se. It simply said Akihiro Hino would be working on the story of the project which encompasses a wide variety of mediums - and that's about it. Regardless, Level-5 have worked on plenty of "dark" projects, but you won't expect ANN to mention them of course as they just threw in the first 2 titles they could think of.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
that's what people thought about Gundam SEED and it turned out great
Unless you're one of the people that think Gundam SEED is one of the worst Gundam titles in the series' history. The fact that Level-5 is somehow involved really doesn't give me much hope for it, either.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
You know what? That sounds pretty innovative. It's certainly not like past Gundam properties. I actually kind of like the premise, even if it is kind of radical. I don't have a boatload of confidence in it, but who knows? Even if the show itself is nothing special, it could be another step in the right direction for ideas for the Gundam franchise. This is the sort of thing Gundam might need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:
It was NOT mentioned in the original announcement whether or not Level-5 would be working specifically on the anime (or even the game) per se. It simply said Akihiro Hino would be working on the story of the project which encompasses a wide variety of mediums - and that's about it.

Level 5 is specifically mentioned and highlighted. According to Corocoro Comic, it is not just Akihiro Hino, but "Level 5 is collaborating on all aspects of planning." Indeed, Level 5 is in the headlines of Corocoro Comic's feature, while Hino is in the body text.

Quote:
Regardless, Level-5 have worked on plenty of "dark" projects, but you won't expect ANN to mention them of course as they just threw in the first 2 titles they could think of.

The reason that the ANN article specifically lists Inazuma Eleven and Danbōru Senki is that Corocoro Comic specifically lists Inazuma Eleven and Danbōru Senki by name. Indeed, Corocoro Comic does not mention any other titles, dark or otherwise.

If you have any questions about what the actual Japanese text says, please feel free to ask them here.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
As long as it remains in the realm of 'military drama' and they don't make it visually comedic where they add those manga iconography (sweat drops, angry vein etc) then I have no complaints even if the designs are what they are.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
As long as it remains in the realm of 'military drama' and they don't make it visually comedic where they add those manga iconography (sweat drops, angry vein etc) then I have no complaints even if the designs are what they are.

"military drama"... for 12 year olds? Unlikely...
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
that's what people thought about Gundam SEED and it turned out great
Unless you're one of the people that think Gundam SEED is one of the worst Gundam titles in the series' history. The fact that Level-5 is somehow involved really doesn't give me much hope for it, either.

SEED is fine. Now if you want to talk about Destiny and claim that then we may have a problem Wink
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Expias wrote:

I bet they're targeting that audience to sell all the games and merchandise far more than they would be trying to make DVD and BD sales...

Sunrise is owned by Bandai, Gundam has always been about merchandise far more than most other real robot series.

Well, yes, what I probably mean is that this is a far less subtle push in merchandise merchandise merchandise of the anime than it would be in sales for the actual anime.

Not to say that I dislike the premise or anything. Recently I've been in the "Level-5 can do no wrong" phase so I'm pretty interested in the quality as well as the premise of the series. I'm just worried if this is a risk that may serve to alienate older audiences and fans of Gundam.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So this show is Climax UC on a grander scale Razz

For those wondering, I've dug up two domains for the site:

www.gundam-age.com
www.gundam-age.net

They'll probably be online around the Toy Show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3