• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Level 5 to Help Create Gundam AGE Anime This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

"military drama"... for 12 year olds? Unlikely...

I love comments like that. This is what Gundam has been since 1979. The salient issue here is whether this show will do well at appealing beyond that immediate demographic like many fine iterations of the franchise do.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm, I definitely need to wait and see on this one as there is barely any info out yet. But like everyone else I simply must say that those character designs seem too childish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
If Cartoon Network hadn't washed their hands of Gundam back in 2005, they probably would jump on this series--provided they get a cut from the merchandising, that is...
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
kgw wrote:

I love comments like that. This is what Gundam has been since 1979. The salient issue here is whether this show will do well at appealing beyond that immediate demographic like many fine iterations of the franchise do.

Here Here. I think a lot of Americans forget that a lot of the stuff we enjoy and that are popular in the US, are meant for a much younger demographic in Japan (I'd say a lot of stuff is one "age group" down. So, middle school in Japan is a high school demographic here).

Also, my friend would like to point out Victory Gundam which has one of the youngest protagonists, and is one of the darkest series to date.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mizuneko2 wrote:
calm your tits

*Golf clap* That's a good one. Smile

I'm more "sigh" than I am "grrrr" about this one, although I did indeed talk some pooh about it last night.

In terms of innovation: meh. It's always been a toy show; what made it innovative was its inclusion of truly horrifying and transgressive elements among the metric ton of model kit marketing that padded out every episode. Story-wise it seems like they're taking the generational aspects of Gundam and throwing in some bah-dah-dah Danboru Senki jazz.

It's just underwhelming to me.

(I was cool with DS by the way... it's a fun and none-too-challenging kid's action show with robots... but it ain't Gundam)
Mytopia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Mytopia wrote:
It was NOT mentioned in the original announcement whether or not Level-5 would be working specifically on the anime (or even the game) per se. It simply said Akihiro Hino would be working on the story of the project which encompasses a wide variety of mediums - and that's about it.

Level 5 is specifically mentioned and highlighted. According to Corocoro Comic, it is not just Akihiro Hino, but "Level 5 is collaborating on all aspects of planning." Indeed, Level 5 is in the headlines of Corocoro Comic's feature, while Hino is in the body text.

Obviously I know full well that Level-5's working on the project alongside CoroCoro; however, my point was that nowhere was it mentioned that they were specifically working on the anime itself. This project comprises a wide variety of media, of which the anime is but one part and of which Level-5 is but one collaborator.
Egan Loo wrote:

The reason that the ANN article specifically lists Inazuma Eleven and Danbōru Senki is that Corocoro Comic specifically lists Inazuma Eleven and Danbōru Senki by name. Indeed, Corocoro Comic does not mention any other titles, dark or otherwise.

So ANN's news posts are merely supposed to be soulless, word-by-word translations and transcriptions of press releases, including the very references (oh, I'm sure they're so important, but of course) that they happen to cite? Interesting!
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Shounen-esque Gundam?.... I like, but I'll have to see how the story holds out.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:

Obviously I know full well that Level-5's working on the project alongside CoroCoro; however, my point was that nowhere was it mentioned that they were specifically working on the anime itself. This project comprises a wide variety of media, of which the anime is but one part and of which Level-5 is but one collaborator.

Again, according to Corocoro Comic, "Level 5 is collaborating on all aspects of planning." Anime is one aspect, and the most prominent one at that.

Quote:

So ANN's news posts are merely supposed to be soulless, word-by-word translations and transcriptions of press releases, including the very references (oh, I'm sure they're so important, but of course) that they happen to cite? Interesting!

May you clarify your issues? In your first response, you mistakenly criticize ANN for stating what the original source does not state — when the source actually does state it. In your second response, you criticize ANN for stating exactly what the original source states. When you decide which stance to take, please feel free to restate it.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
kgw wrote:

Uhh... nope. CoroCoro is a children comics' magazine, younger than "shônen". You know Doraemon, Inazuma Eleven, Beyblade... All of them fits there, no Gundam the Origin (unless in original Gundam nobody died...)

If the news appeared in CoroCoro is because the Gundam Age comic will be running there, and obviously they won't shake their readers with dark and gritty real war stories...

It's nothing wrong of making Gundam for children, but I thought they got SD for that...
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thinking of the premise, it reminds me of "Robotech" having three generations of protagonists throughtout a plot. While this will be the first time a "Gundam" T.V. series gets divided up into protagonal generations rather than have one protagonal character focus throughout the story, it would make sense for the show to be divided up into seasons like "Mobile Suit Gundam 00" was in order to depict such a large war, though "Gundam 00" only had two seasons and took place within a small amount of years.
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, this starting look the unwanted child Turn A and G.

.....and here I though SEED Destiny was going to the the "rear-end" of this franchise.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Originally posted at Toonzone. I highly encourage spreading the info page link around for the sake of setting the record straight.

It's time to recheck our premises on Gundam AGE, particularly when it comes to preconceptions about what the staff have in mind for the show. I note this info page for AGE for Gundam.info's English portal, which basically sums up the unveiling earlier this month. Quotes relevant to the aforementioned subject below:

Quote:

According to Sunrise Managing Director Yasuo Miyakawa, this series's theme will be "three generations". A first for Gundam, the hero will mature, have children, and the story will follow his son and then his grandson. Both adults and children will be able to enjoy this century-spanning epic story illustrating the protagonists' maturation and the inevitable differences between generations.
Quote:

"With 2009 marking the 30th anniversary of Gundam as a TV animation, and 2010 the 30th anniversary of Gunpla, we firmly believe that Mobile Suit Gundam AGE will open a new era for Gundam while honoring its long traditions. We intend to write a new page in Gundam history, showing another part of Gundam's future to both existing fans and the children of the future."
(Bandai Co., Ltd. President, Chief Executive Officer, and CGO Kazunori Ueno)
Quote:

"As a Gundam fan since I was a child, I'm honored to take such a crucial role in developing a new Gundam project. Like the director, I'd like to produce an enjoyable Gundam, but I also aim to appeal to not only Gundam fans but the parents who haven't watched Gundam lately and the children who have never watched. The title Mobile Suit Gundam AGE refers to our desire to create a new age of Gundam."
(Level-5 Inc. President and CEO, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Scriptwriter Akihiro Hino)
Quote:

"I feel the pressure of working on Gundam, but I'd like to keep a festive mood throughout production. I hope to live up to everyone's expectations for the animation and detailed setting while maintaining a pleasant atmosphere. Not focusing on small quibbles, but a festive, enjoyable feeling. I hope everyone supports that kind of enjoyable Mobile Suit Gundam AGE."
(Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Director Susumu Yamaguchi)
Quote:

"Gundam depicts rich human drama and finely-detailed mechanicals through a unique SF lens, adapting through its 30-year history to appeal to broad audiences. We would like to expand the Gundam world with Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, connecting to new markets and raising a new generation of Gundam fans."
(Sunrise Managing Director and Executive Producer Yasuo Miyakawa)
While one can choose to interpret Yamaguchi's interest in a "festive mood" in a way that reinforces first impressions, I think that overall all of this badly subverts the idea that the creative staff are focused on a younger audience to the point that they're indifferent to whether other demographics and your average committed Gundam fan has any interest. How well their goal will be achieved obviously remains to be seen, but the intent is clearly all-age appeal.

On another point, if the story is going to achieve "...illustrating the protagonists' maturation and the inevitable differences between generations" I think that it's critical to meaningfully include the three heroes in the story even after the torch has been passed to the next generation. In this way good writing can highlight how past experiences influence the future, and it'd be potentially interesting to see how prior characters changed for better and maybe for worse. There's also opportunity for good conflict & drama if we have father/son disagreements over how to do things.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
OtakuboyT wrote:
Wow, this starting look the unwanted child Turn A and G.

.....and here I though SEED Destiny was going to the the "rear-end" of this franchise.

Thank you Time traveler for telling me this future show will suck.

Wait

I love Turn a Gundam, and G Gundam precisely because they where not trying to copy plotlines from previous Gundam series. There was no Space Nazi, there wasn't some evil group within the government willing to preform any task for poorly explained reasons, and it didn't have Gap models as the pilots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3