• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sketman

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Man, that SKET Dance review was cold. Crying or Very sad Can't say I'm surprised though, since the show is definitely getting mixed reception elsewhere.

You're right on the money about episode 6, though; frankly, that was one of the most genuinely tender episodes of anime I've seen in a while.

The show's been pretty good to me, or at least good enough that I stick with it on a weekly basis. So far its comedic strengths seem to lie in the moments where its just the three of them screwing around with each other, and in visual gags. I assume that's a big part of why you liked episode 4, what with all the 4th wall-breaking old shoujo throwbacks; the first minute of episode 10 is great for this too, as it features a hilarious parody of Kimi ni Todoke.

The ongoing introduction of side characters and one-offs has been hit and miss, with Momoka being the only one that's stuck for me, episode 6 notwithstanding. I also liked her part of episode 8, though that could just be because I'm a big Marina Inoue fan. Laughing The story opposite hers was in contrast really whacked, and the epitome of 'miss' as far as I'm concerned.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That "little boy" thing that Momiji does is so very disturbing in the dub, in the sub you would just wonder why he names a fire punch that, also it's less weird in the sub.
Not going to start the dub for a while since I already finished the sub.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hold on.. I watched and EDITED Needless, I don't rememeber the word "bitch" being used almost at all. You meant the dub?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised to see the SKET Dance hate. I love it, and it's only been getting better. Lots of humor with some decent dramatic moments, not every episode is a classic but plenty of good ones.

It's gone from "kinda of funny, might watch more if I feel like it" to "can't wait to watch the next" over the span of those 10 episodes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
First of all, have a nice vacation, Erin. Smile

And I agree about this One Piece box: it would've been nice if they'd ended the G-8 arc, especially since there's no telling if or when there will be new dubbed episodes. So far as I know, Funimation hasn't said they've got the license for more episodes yet. It could be a long wait. :/
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And I agree about this One Piece box: it would've been nice if they'd ended the G-8 arc, especially since there's no telling if or when there will be new dubbed episodes. So far as I know, Funimation hasn't said they've got the license for more episodes yet. It could be a long wait. :/

FUnimation said at ACEN this year that they are currently working on getting the rights to more One Piece episodes/movies, so there you go.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice shelves! Looks like you got a really nice game collection there too!

It's hard building a game and anime collection in tandem, both are expensive hobbies!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
"Little Boy" was the Hiroshima bomb, wasn't it?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
"Little Boy" was the Hiroshima bomb, wasn't it?

Yeah, but that never gets mentioned in the show... like ever. I GUESS that's what they were going for...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'll mention again that this show has a great dub. Carli Mosier, the dub voice of Cruz's sister Aruka, turns in a stellar sultry performance as a villainess in collection two. I haven't heard her in too many dubs, and I look forward to hearing more from her in the future.
I don't know about the future, but you can check her out in past performances as Detective Yukika in Nerima Daikon Brothers and Yuri Kurosu in Magikano.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I started off really enjoying One Piece, but 100 episodes later, I felt this was a show that was intended to never truly go anywhere. I felt so ripped off, that I not only dropped the series, but swore off all of these endless shounen fighting series. Evil or Very Mad I tried again with Bleach, but eventually decided the same thing. These shows don't go anywhere. In fact they seem to be designed to never get anywhere, as the conclusion of a real story could result in the end of the $$$ (I mean the franchise).
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I started off really enjoying One Piece, but 100 episodes later, I felt this was a show that was intended to never truly go anywhere. I felt so ripped off, that I not only dropped the series, but swore off all of these endless shounen fighting series. Evil or Very Mad I tried again with Bleach, but eventually decided the same thing. These shows don't go anywhere. In fact they seem to be designed to never get anywhere, as the conclusion of a real story could result in the end of the $$$ (I mean the franchise).

Shonen shows eventually go somewhere, but it usually comes after a time skip or random training arc.

I was able to stick with One Piece by skipping arcs that didn't seem progressive and only watching when the episodes seemed to be going somewhere. I've been on a One Piece hiatus for about 70 episodes now.

Glad I didn't watch Sket Dance like I intended. Sounds bad.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

FUnimation said at ACEN this year that they are currently working on getting the rights to more One Piece episodes/movies, so there you go.

Yeah, not only that, but I've heard a few times before on the Unnoficial One Piece Podcast that Toei only let Funimation acquire episodes 1-205. Why not include episode 206, I'm not sure, but that was what they ended up getting at the time.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I am no fan of Needless, but I wanted to like it. In the end, I couldn't, but the artwork really spoke to me. But you are right, there are some major pacing problems with this show. The tension kept rising and rising, and never crested until the show was over. It was interesting to read that you saw Needless as a parody. For some reason, I never say it that way. I viewed it as more as an unapologetic pile of male chauvinism, kinda like that new Duke Nukem game. If it was a parody, it was really then a hipster style parody, more of a wanton celebration of the tropes under the flimsy guise of satire.

Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know about the future, but you can check her out in past performances as Detective Yukika in Nerima Daikon Brothers and Yuri Kurosu in Magikano.

I don't know about Nerima Daikon Brothers, but please don't watch Magikano. That show was so stupid I think it gave me brain damage, because even after watching it once, I went out and paid money for the DVD. And not even fake money like Canadian dollars either, but real actual money that I could have used to buy beer or hot pockets with.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who finds it funny that the filler set of One Piece is shelf worthy. Anime hyper Of course, I love the G8 arc as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4