• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Manga Cancellations

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe ADV didn't respond to your inquiries because they were embarrased that they actually had titles that failed miserably.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
They put out information that the series were cancelled. If they wanted to tell us why, I suppose they would have in the original statement. I'm surprised that they actually said cancelled instead of on hiatus. Cancelled is a very strong word.

btw. I wish they had admitted if they cancelled Gunslinger Girl too.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Maybe ADV didn't respond to your inquiries because they were embarrased that they actually had titles that failed miserably.

Other comic companies cancel series all the time. I don't see how this is such a huge deal. Why should they continue to publish titles that aren't making them any money.

Live and learn.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Only...I don't even think Taishamin has been released yet. Plus it's a great series. Fantasy Land however...yeah, I'm not too upset about that one.

Don't be hard on ADV. I think they're doing really well with their manga line. Maybe they just got a little carried away with the quantity that they've licensed. I mean, they could always release these titles at a later time. Anime smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
Doesn't suprise me. Judgeing by some of the crap they've put out, I doubt they even read alot of the titles they licenced Confused
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Doesn't suprise me. Judgeing by some of the crap they've put out, I doubt they even read alot of the titles they licenced Confused

They have put out a lot of quality titles as well. Such as:

Pretear
Chrono Crusade
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok (even without the first 7 vol.)
Steel Angel Kurumi
Peacemaker
Aria
Louie the Rune Soilder
Gunslinger Girl
Azumanga Daioh
Full Metal Panic!

I think that for a company in it's first year of publishing, it did pretty well for itself. Certainly, there is room for improvement, but I think that they are showing progress.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Gunslinger Girl

Has volume 2 for this even been released?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:

They have put out a lot of quality titles as well. Such as:

Pretear
Chrono Crusade
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok (even without the first 7 vol.)
Steel Angel Kurumi
Peacemaker
Aria
Louie the Rune Soilder
Gunslinger Girl
Azumanga Daioh
Full Metal Panic!

I think that for a company in it's first year of publishing, it did pretty well for itself. Certainly, there is room for improvement, but I think that they are showing progress.

Well don't mind kage, he's a die-heart dark horse supporter, so his view on other company will always be harsh. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
To be fair, they started with a lot of no-name titles when they were just an anime company too. My only concern is the way they keep throwing money right and left at different ventures with no clear plan. But if they want to be the next Disney, it's up to them.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well don't mind kage, he's a die-heart dark horse supporter, so his view on other company will always be harsh.

Now now, I used to support Viz when they actually gave a damn about their stuff. I just think it's unfortunate that once they discovered the success they could have with shojo/SJ they cut back on their other titles. I really can't see why they don't think something like Blackjack won't sell enough to make it worth their while.
The only title from ADV that I really am into is Chrono Crusade, but they do have some solid titles that have built fanbases. The thing is lately they've been releasing a bunch of crap. And some of it doesn't even look like it can sell well in the current market. It just makes me wonder if they released a bunch of their well know titles right away and now have a bunch of stuff they don't know what to do with. They don't seem to know how to release and market books well, especially compared to Tokyopop.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Now now, I used to support Viz when they actually gave a damn about their stuff. I just think it's unfortunate that once they discovered the success they could have with shojo/SJ they cut back on their other titles. I really can't see why they don't think something like Blackjack won't sell enough to make it worth their while.

Now, some of those shoujo/SJ titles are really damn good so don't go hatin' on a company because they decided to put more focus on the obviously selling titles. Black Jack is a great series and I'm disappointed with that as well...but you have to admit that if it were between Black Jack and like...Hikaru no Go...you'd probably choose HnG too. (sales-wise)

Kagemusha wrote:

They don't seem to know how to release and market books well, especially compared to Tokyopop.

That's an unfair comparison just because TP has been around lots longer than ADV. I think it deserves to be pointed out that for such a young company (manga-wise) that it's significant that so many people are already getting worked up about their release schedules and criticizing their stuff. It means they have gotten your attention and because of that, it's up to us to give them feedback. Like I said before, I think they're doing very well for where they're at right now and it's just three titles...three titles that could very well be released in 2005.
bigcathead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
From a linguistic viewpoint, ADVs translations haven't always been the strongest. Maybe having their workload lightened a little bit will help change this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha:
Quote:
Now now, I used to support Viz when they actually gave a damn about their stuff. I just think it's unfortunate that once they discovered the success they could have with shojo/SJ they cut back on their other titles.

They've actually been cutting back on older titles since Pokemon. As I've said in the past, if Shueisha hadn't merged with Shogakkukan, they'd be out of the business by now.

Quote:
I really can't see why they don't think something like Blackjack won't sell enough to make it worth their while.

I'm actually surprised too. You'd think with the re-release of the oav's and the expanded audience for Tezuka manga and anime, they'd have jumped on it by now.

lian:
Quote:
Now, some of those shoujo/SJ titles are really damn good so don't go hatin' on a company because they decided to put more focus on the obviously selling titles.

While that might be the case, I just feel Tokyopop and Dark Horse do a better job of appealing to more age demographics than Viz.

Quote:
Black Jack is a great series and I'm disappointed with that as well...but you have to admit that if it were between Black Jack and like...Hikaru no Go...you'd probably choose HnG too. (sales-wise)

I'm not exactly sure how HNG would do better, considering it's got more Japanese references than Black Jack. Not that I have any problem with either title, although I pay more attention to the characters in HnG than the actual games.

As for ADV, when they make up their mind which of their manga they think is worth checking out, then maybe I'll give it a shot.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
While that might be the case, I just feel Tokyopop and Dark Horse do a better job of appealing to more age demographics than Viz.

I'd kind of get on Viz's back if they were claiming to appeal to a broad demographic, but they've made it clear that they're obviously trying to hone in on that younger kid/tween market. Dark Horse is only appealing to us because they have stuff out for an older audience and TP...well TP is just all over the place. Doesn't matter since they own the market anyway.

GATSU wrote:
I'm not exactly sure how HNG would do better, considering it's got more Japanese references than Black Jack. Not that I have any problem with either title, although I pay more attention to the characters in HnG than the actual games.

All of their SJ titles do well and that's because of the characters, which you say you pay attention to. It's that "I wanna be just as determined as Hikaru!" attitude that really wins the kids over. HnG is unique in that it can make something as foreign as Go seem really cool and exciting. Black Jack again--good for an older audience, but just too dated and unrelated to Viz's target audience.

Last edited by lianncoop on Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, some of those shoujo/SJ titles are really damn good so don't go hatin' on a company because they decided to put more focus on the obviously selling titles. Black Jack is a great series and I'm disappointed with that as well...but you have to admit that if it were between Black Jack and like...Hikaru no Go...you'd probably choose HnG too. (sales-wise)

My anger against them has nothing to do with their current products, as I like a number of them; it has to do with the fact that they have basically flipped fans the bird numerous times. The audience for things like Black Jack, Evan a Monkey Can Draw Manga! and Galagy Express 999 is still around and they can definitally make some money, but if they're going to make more money licencing another newer manga, then forget the people who love the series they already put out. Personally, as a fan, I am angered by this. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll do the same to No.5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3