• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Feature Oscar Rules Changed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Animation is still pretty much an overlook at these awards shows anyway
The fact that animation has been recognized enough to get Best Picture noms for the past 2 years disagrees.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
I like the change Razz Hope we get to see more anime in this category now that there will be space for them!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
It'd have been nice if Summer Wars had snuck in, but, realistically, if there had been four nominations for 2010, the fourth would have been Tangled (a great animated film that was shut out by three other great animated films).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It'd have been nice if Summer Wars had snuck in, but, realistically, if there had been four nominations for 2010, the fourth would have been Tangled (a great animated film that was shut out by three other great animated films).
Honestly, there's no really guessing as to what the other 2 might have been. We can say what we would've liked to get in, but since there was only 3, we'll never actually know.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
The fact that animation has been recognized enough to get Best Picture noms for the past 2 years disagrees.

By 'animation' you mean 'Pixar's latest movie', which is pretty much the winner by default at these things, though not in Best Picture, obviously.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Not to mention My Dog Tulip.

It was such a great year for animated films. To think that the only way we would've seen a full five nominees for these fantastic movie is if Yogi Bear hadn't been rejected for submission.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Honestly, there's no really guessing as to what the other 2 might have been.

There wouldn't have been 2 more nominees had the new rule been in effect for last year's animated films, it would only have been 1 more and it's quite easy to imagine that Tangled would've beaten out Summer Wars with the selection voters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Who cares the Oscar and all awards shows are fixed

Including Japan's anime awards. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:
Animation is still pretty much an overlook at these awards shows anyway, and I really wouldn't trust America's opinion on animation regardless.

As opposed to otakus? Laughing

Megiddo wrote:
Redline debuted in 2009, and while I'm not all that familiar with Oscar nomination requirements, I don't think a 3 year old movie is eligible.

You're correct. Arrietty may not be eligible for the 2012 Oscars (when Disney releases it in America) neither because it was originally released in Japan in 2010.

I'd have to read the Best Animated rules again, but IIRC the original foreign release has to be no older than the year before the Awards year, i.e. for 2012 Oscars, it can't be older than 2011.

_Emi_ wrote:
I wouldn't call Persepolis and Waltz for Bashir family films.

Yeah, but how many people here have seen those? People here say it's always family films, but these same people don't even bother watching the other films on the list. Confused

JDuks wrote:
The academy is pretty nationalist. You rarely see foreign titles in any categories, so I doubt we'll see that much more anime in the animation category. Usually they nominate one once in a while, so they can get some "culture points".

Well, it is America's awards. Other countries have their own Academy Awards. Nobody complains that Japan's Awards are full of anime, and not other countries' (not just America's) animations. Laughing

Tenchi wrote:

I dunno. I would've gone for The Illusionist instead. I know, ironic. Laughing

But I agree, it's great.

TitanXL wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

By 'animation' you mean 'Pixar's latest movie', which is pretty much the winner by default at these things, though not in Best Picture, obviously.

Well, Pixar is America's Studio Ghibli - and Ghibli always wins in Japan. Laughing

Pepperidge wrote:

It was such a great year for animated films. To think that the only way we would've seen a full five nominees for these fantastic movie is if Yogi Bear hadn't been rejected for submission.

And if only Funimation had a qualifying run in L.A. for Eva 2.0 a month earlier in Dec 2010, instead of Jan 2011, then submitted it, there would've been 16 eligible films to warrant up to (not guaranteed) 5 nominations.

So....... uh............ blame Canada! Laughing
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

There wouldn't have been 2 more nominees had the new rule been in effect for last year's animated films, it would only have been 1 more and it's quite easy to imagine that Tangled would've beaten out Summer Wars with the selection voters.
MB. Was stuck on the old rule(the one that was in place): Had there been a couple more films submitted for noms, then there would have been 2 more noms in the end.

But, again, you can say whatever you want about what you think would've been the next one to get nominated, but that doesn't mean much since there's no way of really knowing. I think Summer Wars is far more deserving of it, but it's not like that matters.

TitanXL wrote:

By 'animation' you mean 'Pixar's latest movie', which is pretty much the winner by default at these things.
Sadly. Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 1992. The animation category was then created so animated films could have a better change at getting an award, but it seems to have also made it so they're further stuck as just movies for kids and not so much best film material anymore.

Tangle would have gotten the other nod without a doubt - if not that, then How to Train Your Dragon. With the animated films it usually goes to popular, big studio, critically acclaimed films. Summer Wars didn't have enough people aware of it.

I've seen Persepolis and Waltz for Bashir and loved them. My whole extended family saw Persepolis because of word of mouth, great reviews, and basically an awesome publicity campaign for both the movie and the graphic novel it was based on.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 1992. The animation category was then created so animated films could have a better change at getting an award, but it seems to have also made it so they're further stuck as just movies for kids and not so much best film material anymore.
Yeah, I already knew about Beauty and the Beast, but the animation category didn't get made until almost an entire decade after BatB was nominated for BP.

Quote:
if not that, then How to Train Your Dragon.
Uh, HttyD did get nominated for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score.Surprised

Quote:
With the animated films it usually goes to popular, big studio, critically acclaimed films.
Pfft, unfortunate truth. >.> Though, there have been exceptions. Even recent ones, like The Secret of Kells.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 1992. The animation category was then created so animated films could have a better change at getting an award,

The Oscar committees wouldn't wanna hear anymore all the griping from Disney and studios why their films aren't considered for Picture, so they created the Animated category ghetto. Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:

With the animated films it usually goes to popular, big studio, critically acclaimed films. Summer Wars didn't have enough people aware of it.

Like elections, ya gotta have enough money to lobby for your films. Laughing

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

With the animated films it usually goes to popular, big studio, critically acclaimed films.

Pfft, unfortunate truth. >.> Though, there have been exceptions. Even recent ones, like The Secret of Kells.

Probably another one not many people here have even seen. Confused
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="enurtsol"]You're correct. Arrietty may not be eligible for the 2012 Oscars (when Disney releases it in America) neither because it was originally released in Japan in 2010.

The awards are for films released in 2011, and I think there's a very good chance that Disney will make sure the film gets its qualifying run towards the end of 2011.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
You're correct. Arrietty may not be eligible for the 2012 Oscars (when Disney releases it in America) neither because it was originally released in Japan in 2010.

The awards are for films released in 2011, and I think there's a very good chance that Disney will make sure the film gets its qualifying run towards the end of 2011.

Aha, that is indeed a good possibility - a qualifying run before the general release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
Emi: Bashir was never nominated for Best Animated Film, just Best Foreign Film. And I'm guessing Persepolis only made it because it looks as cartooney as the competition.

Anyway, if Sentai wants to, I think Mardock would be eligible this year. Dunno if Bandai or Sony would think Tekken's worth the trouble, but if Spirits Within was once a contender...

Sanosuke: Well, that's only 'cus Disney can buy Best Picture awards pretty well. Rolling Eyes

enurtsol:
Quote:
Including Japan's anime awards.

I've seen them nominate Western animated films at their awards a lot more often than we do in reverse.

Quote:
As opposed to otakus?

Which ones? The Pixar fanboys are just as irritating at pretending their toons are for adults as the moe fanboys are at pretending their toons are for little kids.

Quote:
Arrietty may not be eligible for the 2012 Oscars (when Disney releases it in America) neither because it was originally released in Japan in 2010.

Depends on whether or not Disney wants to give it a sneak release in 2011.

Quote:
Yeah, but how many people here have seen those?

Persepolis actually did pretty well for a unconventional animated film released in America. And Bashir did about a quarter as well as A Scanner Darkly.

Quote:
People here say it's always family films, but these same people don't even bother watching the other films on the list.

They do. It's just the non-family films aren't given many screens.

Quote:
Well, Pixar is America's Studio Ghibli - and Ghibli always wins in Japan.

Not always. Only the last 20 years.

Quote:
And if only Funimation had a qualifying run in L.A. for Eva 2.0 a month earlier in Dec 2010, instead of Jan 2011, then submitted it, there would've been 16 eligible films to warrant up to (not guaranteed) 5 nominations.

They might've had a chance w/ 1.0, but not 2.0.

greenwolf:
Quote:
Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in 1992. The animation category was then created so animated films could have a better change at getting an award,

No, it was created because certain guilds don't like the idea of cartoons treading on the same turf as live-action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3