• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CG Gatchaman Film Taken Off Imagi's Books

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
That's very disappointing news. I really like Gatchaman and I was lucky to see some of the ADV episodes, which I thought was a very good dub. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Sad

Tatsunoko really needs to do an anime remake of Gatchaman and hopefully won't turn out like the OVA. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
That is a real shame, cause I had hoped that the release of that movie will lead to a re-licensing of Gatchaman in America. Cause I was lucky to have bought all 18 DVDs of the ADV films release of the series. Which I'll keep until some other distrubutor releases a few "more shelf space" box sets of the series.

Not sure if Discotek or some other company is interested in licensing the anime, but I'm sure someday it'll be licensed by someone else since there are a good deal of people that know of the anime.

Another bumber about this movie being cancelled is we'll never know what Leader X would of looked like in this movie. Unless there's a book or website on the character designs(if there's any other than Gatchaman, Galactor, & Berg Katse).
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
That is a real shame, cause I had hoped that the release of that movie will lead to a re-licensing of Gatchaman in America. Cause I was lucky to have bought all 18 DVDs of the ADV films release of the series. Which I'll keep until some other distrubutor releases a few "more shelf space" box sets of the series.

Not sure if Discotek or some other company is interested in licensing the anime, but I'm sure someday it'll be licensed by someone else since there are a good deal of people that know of the anime.

Though I managed to purchased the DVDs "Battle of The Planets 25th Anniversay Collection " and "The Best of G-Force" before the time of the expiring of Sandy Frank's license to "Gatchaman", I too hope that the "Gatchaman" anime get relicensed as it will be sad to see future generations of North America-based Otaku being deprived of "Gatchaman" in the same way North America-based anime fans are now deprived of "Sailor Moon" T.V. series and films.

As for those who object to anime and manga being adapted into non-Japanese film/TV (counting both live-action and animated), I'm guessing that the situtation of the "Gatchaman" 3D film being shelved will end up being a moment of joy for them. In a few words, those anime purists got what they wanted.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

Though I managed to purchased the DVDs "Battle of The Planets 25th Anniversay Collection " and "The Best of G-Force" before the time of the expiring of Sandy Frank's license to "Gatchaman", I too hope that the "Gatchaman" anime get relicensed as it will be sad to see future generations of North America-based Otaku being deprived of "Gatchaman" in the same way North America-based anime fans are now deprived of "Sailor Moon" T.V. series and films.

As for those who object to anime and manga being adapted into non-Japanese film/TV (counting both live-action and animated), I'm guessing that the situtation of the "Gatchaman" 3D film being shelved will end up being a moment of joy for them. In a few words, those anime purists got what they wanted.

I remenber I had a hard time seeing all of the episodes of Sailor Moon. That franchise too is in crying need for a relicensing other than the manga recently being relicensed(which I haven't read yet).

I don't blame most people objecting to the idea of Hollywood making non-Japanese made films of anime and manga. Since it's no telling if it'll be a hit or a miss when it comes out. Same goes for certain based off of a cartoon movies. Three fourths of those films had poor reception either because of the clique plot or just making the original look better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1