• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon Book Adds Message by Black Swan's Aronofsky

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
killchicken:
Quote:
If you think it's so undeniable that those scenes were integral to Black Swan, that it needed those scenes to be successful, that without those scenes Black Swan just would not have been anywhere near the same movie, then explain why. It should be easy if it's so obvious should it not?

I don't know if it needed those scenes to be successful, but Darren clearly did.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Truthfully, when I watched Black Swan with a friend (he wanted to see it, I just came along for the ride) I felt it borrowed some themes from some Satoshi Kon's previous works. I.e. Perfect Blue etc.

That said, although it can be debated about all the points Gatsu made, he did make some valid points. So I'll give him credit where credit is due. At the very least one can do that much.

But like I said earlier, when I did watch Black Swan, it did feel like some parts of the movie were indeed borrowed from Kon's previous work.

But truth be told, even if nothing was borrowed, I still probably find the movie as lackluster as I did when I first watched it. It was like the time I watched Ryan Reynolds Buried. In that instance I wish I got both my money and time back. In this case, I just wish I got my time back.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf: Yes, but they're physically twins, not hallucinations.

No, they're hallucinations. One twin constantly sees her reflection, and it begins to speak to her as if it's her evil twin. It starts playing mind games with her to the point she begins to wonder which of the two she is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
little: Well, ok, is it a pre-fabricated hallucination meant to throw her off the real culprit?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, my Madhouse contact just informed me that the message is in English and Japanese, and essentially a eulogy. So I can be satisfied now. Cool On top of that, Kon's family ironically uploaded a list of movies he saw in 2000 which includes *drumroll, please* Requiem for a Dream. Cool
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Message has been scanned and uploaded. Meanwhile, Darren's remaking PB for a third time. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4