• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight Guilty DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
I love mildly exploitative anime with some artistic merit (Panty and Stocking, LIFE) Not sure if it's ok to ask this on this thread, but can anyone tell me what is so messed up and interesting about this series?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I love mildly exploitative anime with some artistic merit (Panty and Stocking, LIFE) Not sure if it's ok to ask this on this thread, but can anyone tell me what is so messed up and interesting about this series?

The author, who had previous written a shojo about a fifteen year-old girl and her seven year-old love interest, has a thing for dysfunctional relationships. In this case, there's spoiler[incest] and some serious S&M going on in the love triangle.

You feel insanely guilty for reading it, but you want to see how much more messed up things get, so you continue reading. Also, it has really pretty shojo art (starts out meh in the beginning, ends up as some of the best in shojo manga) and an actual plot that runs alongside the character drama.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it does have a decent plot but it is a little slow going. Course I realized something was bubbling under the surface a while back. But it you're like a lot of people who go in thinking this is just a Twilight wanna-be (which is odd since I believe both came out around the same time, I think VK was first, though) then yeah, you'll overlook any semblance of a plot. It's only when you get a little deeper in, is when it really hits you in the face. And yes, there is a reason Kaname killed Shizuka.

As for the spoiler[incest, yes, Kaname is revealed to be Yuuki's brother but later on, it turns out he's her ancestor. (It's a long story but you'll have to read the manga, which is still ongoing to get it.)] And I recommend the manga; it's better than the anime.

There've been rumors of a third season for the anime but I don't know for sure if there'll be one. If they do make one, they'll have to retcon an important character back in, who's important to the next arc.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This is TEN TIMES BETTER THAN CRAPPY TWILIGHT!!

Also it's dub is not bad. you have to get use to it to like it. Though i'll like it sine i'm a die hard dubber anyway.

Also your right. They do have to make a third season, unfortunately with Japan passing that stupid ass law banning questionable content like incest from mangas and ent industry in general ( which had all of the manga creators in a MASSIVE uproar & was the reason why the Aki Sora series ended ) as well as Angel Sancutuary , I do not see a new series happening anytime soon unless they remove that dumb law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Right on, jr! It definitely is better than Twilight. As for the dub, it could be better but I'm not complaining. But I'm not too worried about that law, there is incest but it's not like Kaname and Yuuki are having sex. Plus, I don't think Matsuri Hino's too worried; she recently included some girl on girl action. Also, in the manga, spoiler[Yuuki and Kaname have parted ways, at least for the time being.]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Also, in the manga, spoiler[Yuuki and Kaname have parted ways, at least for the time being.]

...and now I will start up the manga again. I hated that pairing, not spoiler[for the incest] but because I just didn't like them together. I'd support just about any couple other than them. It was depressing me how long the author was staying on it.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it took awhile spoiler[but they are apart now. While some people are hoping they get back together, I'm not one of them. Let's just say Kaname's gone and done something rash; he's got some explaining to do. And if Yuuki takes him back after this, she's dumber that I thought. But hopefully she'll come to her senses.] If those two end up together, it really will be like Twilight! Twisted Evil But I have faith in Ms. Hino so far; I hope she doesn't disappoint.
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
This is TEN TIMES BETTER THAN CRAPPY TWILIGHT!!

Isn't that a little like multiplying times zero? Laughing

(Seriously, I know next to nothing about Vampire Knight-- angsty shoujo is not really my thing. I'm sure it's a fine series. No disrespect meant to anything but Twilight.)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
no, it is not fine series... and even if it is better than twilight, then still by not that much...
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Twilight and Vampire Knight, two guilty pleasures of mine. Who doesn't have some bumble gum fiction that they enjoy? heehee..

I have noticed a resemblance between the two, but nothing more past the whole love-triangle/fantasy thing.. Every time I think about it though.. I always say to myself "Vampire Knight is better." Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Right on, jr! It definitely is better than Twilight. As for the dub, it could be better but I'm not complaining. But I'm not too worried about that law, there is incest but it's not like Kaname and Yuuki are having sex. Plus, I don't think Matsuri Hino's too worried; she recently included some girl on girl action. Also, in the manga, spoiler[Yuuki and Kaname have parted ways, at least for the time being.]

Well it cause cause of it, I was worried that the Author would have to cancel the manga. The Author for Aki Sora has already done so.

And what girl on girl? I did not see or read anything like that , unless you mean the friendship with yuki and her best friend

Also though I like Vampire knight's dub, I ADMIT that I almost skipped the series cause the dub casting was definitely miscast and did not sounded right. Sure it grew on me later on since I mainly watch dubs ,but Viz SERIOUSLY screwed up with the casting.

Vic did not sounded right as Zero from the beginning. Kaien Cross or Ichiru , probably but not zero. Lowenthal would have made a better zero. Neither was the newbies that did Yuki , Kaname or Rido.
Yuki would had been better with Ruff , and Kaname with JYB and Rido would have been perfect for Freeman.

The only saving grace for me was that they had Wendel Lee as Shizuka Hio on Season 1.

Other than that It's fun to watch cause of the plot line as well as the brother / sister relationship. It's too damn bad that cause of that STUPID ASS LAW , I's going to end up like with the Angel Sancutary OVA where we will have to depend on the manga to continue with the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention, I'm following the latest chapters in scans. The action I was refering to spoiler[Sara (the pureblood left out of the anime) turns a bunch of girls into vampires; in one scene, she kisses one them. Also, just recently, a thirsty pureblood Yuuki pounced on Yori. (She didn't bite her, though.)]

As for a third season, I don't know. I keep hearing rumors but nothing definite. Personally, I prefer the manga, but the anime was nice. As for the law, so far it appears only the worst offenders are being targeted. Mainstream manga, like Vampire Knight appear to be safe for now. Anyway, considering the more recent scenes, it appears Matsuri Hino isn't too concerned, either.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well let's hope so cause I like the fact their blood siblings. And i would definitely look forward too a third season.

this series is too interesting to end up like Angel Sancutary.

However if it have another dub and Viz Media gets the license , DO NOT USE THE SAME CAST!!!!

That there would be a mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1